Did PvP flop?

I haven't seen any games or had anyone join my game for the last few days. Is there just no interest in it? Lack of rewards? Too busy farming?

I'll admit, it was pretty bad as far as pvp goes, but it wasn't completely awful.

I haven't seen any games or had anyone join my game for the last few days. Is there just no interest in it? Lack of rewards? Too busy farming?

I'll admit, it was pretty bad as far as pvp goes, but it wasn't completely awful.

Completely awful would be an understatement...

Pvp in this game is just a flat out waste of time and resource.. implementing pvp in a tower defense game is already appallingly strange.. implementing them completely wrong is just wtf.. pvp now has nothing to do with towers, it's a game where the strongest and most leet built char will win.. who the heck would want to play such crap?

Mostly farming, that and tired of switching to hero spec, lol. I'm not big on alts, lol. Though I still lead my team when tower spec'd.... that and waiting for Monk's ranged attack to get fixed a bit, bout one of the last adjustments needed.

Completely awful would be an understatement...

Pvp in this game is just a flat out waste of time and resource.. implementing pvp in a tower defense game is already appallingly strange.. implementing them completely wrong is just wtf.. pvp now has nothing to do with towers, it's a game where the strongest and most leet built char will win.. who the heck would want to play such crap?

leet built characters, duh.

Let me guess, PvP in this game is not about player skills, but about how well equipped the player is? That's smart!

Let me guess, PvP in this game is not about player skills, but about how well equipped the player is? That's smart!

Not true completely, as stated before while tower spec'd I was still able to beat players DPS spec'd by clever timing and lots of jumping :D

However, there is certainly a "gear" based issue that we've been discussing over in the PvP threads
(different section of the forums now, just so you all know)

We can but hope that PvP goes the same route as the dinosaurs!

I don't get this mindset, my friend. I mean PvP is obviously not for everyone, but I like the idea of having the option to fight your friends, or those people who ninja loot, etc, etc...

More options the better :)

Even though I'm not a PvP fan for this game, I'm sad to see it not going very well. I've searched for games just to try it out, but couldn't ( I didn't try very hard though hehe ). I know there are people that like PvP - and I'd hope they could find something here, too. Maybe if they could double their dev team and dedicate a good set of folk to implement it fully - almost as a seperate entity with it's own timetable. And CTF is a bit misleading - it's not what the typical CTF game I'm used to at least :)

PVP in this game can work but not really in the way it's being implemented at the moment. We'll see some cool PVP total conversions at one point. Personally I'm waiting on amazon to send me a few things so I can work on my Goldeneye N64 style conversion (fast paced and short games). The engine is there it just needs some love.

Shall I of lazral host a pvp night each week then?

I know its not.very well balanced so that might be why and with the release of new gears... they all went to farm again =\

PvP could be fun in this game if it wasn't based on the equipment you're using, but instead flat numbers.
So you could choose a preference in flavor on the class you select... Like... 3-4 available builds for each class listed. Tower/Hero/Hybrid.

That way it's more of a feel-good thing than grinding a perfect PvP set and then owning people for absolutely no rewards.

Also: There needs to be an additional incentive so people have a good reason to try to be good at PvP with the flat mechanics that are available. Give some sort of cosmetic perk perhaps? Able to recolor their weapon/pet maybe using a PvP currency?

Reward both the winner and the loser perhaps at a ratio of 5:2 of whatever the winning reward is.

I unfortunately don't think that any pvp can happen seriously on a game that doesn't have dedicated servers.... network issues (ping/slow computers) will always be a deal breaker

(at least when you want it to be serious, and not just for the lulz)

(at least when you want it to be serious, and not just for the lulz)

There are other games for serious PVP. Personally I think this would be a good game (eventually) to play pvp just for the lulz. That's what I'm aiming for anyway. ;)

I don't know what folks are expecting. It's not a final release, it's not even a beta. It's an ALPHA. It's broken by definition. You are supposed to be the ones making sure it gets balanced.

You know why Team Fortress 2 is so successful? Is it because of the events? Maybe. Is it because of the hats? Not really. It is because you need skill. Everyone has the same gear or almost the same gear. Nobody has the uber perfect gear and wont get it, it will still be about the skill. As long as it is stated gear>skill, pvp is broken...

Yeah, from the start I really didn't think this would be a good idea. Probably because I'm pretty cynical and generally don't like PvP. Also because I've seen how much of a mess PvP has been in WoW, and for a small team like this to attempt such a monumental balancing task...it's just insane. Also, people bought this game mostly for the tower defense novelty which is very much a single player versus CPU mobs massacre extravaganza. PvP is very distant tangent separated from the core appeal of the game. I simply don't think this game attracts the right demographic to make PvP successful.

[QUOTE]I don't know what folks are expecting. It's not a final release, it's not even a beta. It's an ALPHA. It's broken by definition. You are supposed to be the ones making sure it gets balanced. [/QUOTE]

Exactly. No one who enjoys the core DunDef game really cares enough about PvP to spend the time getting it to work. On top of that, to ask these same people to play an unfinished, broken version of PvP is just asking way too much.

I don't know what folks are expecting. It's not a final release, it's not even a beta. It's an ALPHA. It's broken by definition. You are supposed to be the ones making sure it gets balanced.

Only CTF is alpha, Hall of Heroes isn't even alpha PvP and it sucks.

Unfortunately PvP capture of flag (well the way it's set up) is very poor.

For a TD to work you need to have mirrored areas to defend... not just huddles around a flag otherwise it removes to tower aspect of it.

How can you have PvP in a tower defence game?

There are no skills for PvP, u click over n over n run towards your target.

Unfortunately PvP capture of flag (well the way it's set up) is very poor.

For a TD to work you need to have mirrored areas to defend... not just huddles around a flag otherwise it removes to tower aspect of it.

You add in the fact that many traps are auto targeting, fire and forget, and it becomes a test in frustration as you basically are forced to play Insane Assault Challenge extreme, but now with other players trying to kill you.

Shall I of lazral host a pvp night each week then?

I know its not.very well balanced so that might be why and with the release of new gears... they all went to farm again =\

I used to play a game call World of Warcraft - maybe you've heard of it? If you haven't you are very fortunate. I played for 2 years and thoroughly despise the game now. However, there is one thing I miss about it: world pvp. World pvp occurred whenever you would be out questing or just wondering around and saw a player of the opposing faction and attacked them. Doing so would often result in them calling their friend to help, then the other guy calling his friends, etc, until it escalated into a large battle. This was very fun, and no one ever complained about gear, level, skill, or any of that. It was chaotic, meaningless battle for the sake of uniting and proving your dominance as a faction.

The other type of pvp WoW had was a ranked, orderly system with 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 brackets. I hated this type of pvp because it was tedious and stressful. You had to have the absolute best gear and perfect team to just be competitive, everything was unbalanced, everyone always complained about everything, etc. It felt like a second job - coming home and playing a dozen ranked matches every night. The WoW developers tried so hard to cater to everyone's requests and balance things out, and the compromises they made over the years eventually calmed down all of the people who were extremely irate, but ended up making everyone else moderately frustrated. Basically, each complaint they addressed seemed like it would make 1 person much less frustrated and 2 people slightly more frustrated. This resulted in everyone being moderately frustrated.

PvP will be tough to pull off in this game because of all the different classes and leveling aspect - there is potential for a lot of imbalance, and any attempts to correct the imbalance will likely result in everyone, including the developers, becoming very frustrated.

I would personally have the most fun having a castle, instead of a tavern, that I could fortify with towers and be able to flag it as "pvp" or something so that other groups of 1-4 could enter my "map" and attack it completely at random whenever I was online. This would be fun because I could say "hey, this one player was a real d-bag, I'm gonna get a few friends and steamroll is crappy castle and crotch-hump his dead corpse after I slaughter him." There would be nothing at stake other than pride. No need to provide any rewards, no one would care about gear, or level, or anything. I think people would have fun just because of the opportunity that exists to assert their dominance and ruin someone else's day ;)

gl with pvp, though, I appreciate that you're trying to add new functionality and improve the game.

How can you have PvP in a tower defence game?

There are no skills for PvP, u click over n over n run towards your target.

Did you ever play this game?

Not true completely, as stated before while tower spec'd I was still able to beat players DPS spec'd by clever timing and lots of jumping :D

That's a big fat lie mac : )

Tower spec is useless. Just look at my first attempt to use my tower spec squire. I was doing only 50 dmg while other hero squire finish me off with 25k damage with a single hit and kill others too with 1 hit.

I also saw how you pretty much destroy everyone on your hero app.

Like i said, TE got lazy by allowing pve max out gear into pvp. It just break every balance in the book. I'm glad it flop cos they never listen to me by giving everyone default gear to test.

Now look at how useless was my tower spec squire in ctf...

pvp could work with a better mode than hold the flag and less gear. i wonder how free-for-all + hold the flag in a tinier more open map.

im thinkin' a map with a couple crystals for each team on each side. a small "setup" time for like 15-30 seconds. one crystal would have to be destroyed to win. maybe even throw in some minions for each side going to enemies crystal ala dota, LoL. ogres could come in at designated intervals to break stalemates and what not.

team 1's setup area w/ crystals - DOORS - middle area - DOORS - team 2 setup area w/ crystals

doors would be closed in the beginning and probably where the "choke" would be