Sign in to follow this  
Shadow Master

Orcs Must Die! vs. Dungeon Defenders

I have to admit, Orcs Must Die! caught my attention before Dungeon Defenders (I just happened to have seen it first). I was actually considering buying it, yet something was tugging me away from doing so.

Once I came across Dungeon Defenders though, I realized what that tugging feeling was.

No multiplayer, no co-op, only one playable character, no robust loot system, no trading (though that's more of the same lack of multiplayer/co-op), little to no character customization, no familiars...

The only upside I can see is better graphics/engine, but Dungeon Defenders is stylized in a way that bypasses that anyway.

So why would anyone get Orcs Must Die! instead of Dungeon Defenders?

Has anyone played OMD yet? Any thoughts?

Same deal here, I was looking for something to kill time till these good Fall retail games came out. However, I wasn't expecting to run across something like Dungeon Defenders. I play on XBLA, and while I'm disappointed we won't get cross-platforming capability, I don't hold Trendy responsible for Microsoft's outdated and ridiculous policies.

Anyways, point I wanted to make was that, few games come a long that warrant $15, and when one does, it is usually worth the price of a retail game. This game feels like one of those. Last game I felt this way about and would have easily paid $60 for was Monday Night Combat. Sadly because of Microsoft, and just their own shady ethics. They have left the console version as is, and we won't get many of the things the PC version has. They officially announced they wouldn't be updating the game, finally after a year. Ridiculous...

I hope the continue to support this game on the XBLA, despite how ridiculous MS is, because I imagine I will play this more than any of the other retail games coming out.

OMD was a good time waster and rather enjoyable, but I only bought it because I wanted to play Dungeon Defenders and it was the next best thing, lol. It's all single player as you probably know and has 25 levels to beat with varying difficulties as you go along, however once I'd got 5 skulls on all the levels and completed Nightmare the game runs out of things to do and sort of sits there in your games list rather sadly. The difference is that with dungeon defenders you can play with others and there's PvP aspects which make it so much better! So yeah with DD so close to release now, there's little point in buying a more expensive game with less content! ^^

I think Orcs Must Die is quite comparable to Sanctum, both games are fun but lack the RPG elements that will keep you coming back to Dungeon Defenders.

I preordered both, and personally, I think Dungeon Defenders is the much better game. OMD was certainly enjoyable, and a great game anyway, but the RPG elements, leveling, loot, multiplayer, and everything else make Dungeon Defenders far superior.

I prefer Dungeon Defenders' art style and levelling. Loot, etc...

It all adds up to a great game, Orcs Must Die looks brilliant too but in it's on way.

In my opinion, OMD looks so much more actiony, and that's what I look for in a game. However, multiplayer is a much bigger element for me, and so Dungeon Defenders wins, although I personally like OMD's graphics so so much more.

Another thing is "Orcs Must Die" biggest con is the that the game will not work unless you have a duel core processor. A lot off
people was complaining because they couldn't play it due to the animations looking like they got flatend and couldn't move..

So if those people find this game they can play a great game..:)

ive played Orcs Must die and it in no way compares to Dungeon Defenders I got bored after a couple levels because i hate playing alone :(

Not to mention, DD is still #2 best seller, Orcs is at [[461,hashtags]] now. DD is still holding its own.

Didnt like how OMD was so much based around the character getting headshots / pushing ppl into lava. I like tower defence - it's the reason I'm full towerspec on my guize.

Not to mention, DD is still #2 best seller, Orcs is at [[461,hashtags]] now. DD is still holding its own.

Lol at horrible reply.
OMD was release earlier, thats normal once everyone own it...

Objective comparison :

OMD have sense of humour (like it or not), more different mob (in DD they are just HP sack going to your turret), level a bit more complicated, traps are more diversified / fun to use (physics traps), prolly more polished / balanced, and a nice design.

DD have multiplayer, loot, RPG system, cute/cartoon design, multiplayer. Still have bug and imbalance. But it's ok since multiplayer is harder to manage.

Here you go.

OMD will provide a better experience overall provided you play alone.
If you play with friend, well, it's no brainer.

Orcs Must Die is a good time-waster. I play it when I'm waiting for a download to finish or when I'm at the library having a break from my studies.

Dungeon Defenders is a serious game you spend hours on.

Both are great, I just play them at different times.

I think Orcs Must Die is quite comparable to Sanctum, both games are fun but lack the RPG elements that will keep you coming back to Dungeon Defenders

I bought OMD before DD (because it was released earlier ^^) and I think both games are very enjoyable... But like all others I think OMD simply lacks the multiplayer part. I like the style, humor and the fast-paced gameplay in OMD very much but it just has not the same long-term motivation with leveling up, searching items, playing with friends.

So i have to agree to NELiXERY: both are great :)

I thought Orcs must die was better when it came to the towers and traps available to you, but the lack of looting and multiplayer just killed that game for me, didn't get very far into it.

The only upside I can see is better graphics/engine, but Dungeon Defenders is stylized in a way that bypasses that anyway.

Hold on. Did you just say Vision engine is better than Unreal Engine 3?

You better take that back. :mad:

I really liked omd ...it was kinda quick in your face action. Its an entirely different tower defence game though with less replayability.

Some of the nightmare difficulty levels were very harsh, more action and less thinking...but sadly no multiplayer!

I disagree with the less thinking Liqq. Some of those levels took me ages to figure out the right walling path and strategy. OMD was solid. Getting all nightmare completions is quite a feat.