Is there a new level cap on the VW?

I realize they have been heavily nerfed. I'm trying my damnedest to beat the dragon at the Summit insane to get an animus. I have completed Spook 45+ times trying to get a decent VW but the best one I've seen was a godly with a level cap of 24. I've heard they go up to 33. I upgrade the base damage and, whenever possible, the firing rate and the # of projectiles. It only does 15,000 dps and I just can't beat the dragon with it. Are there other ways to kill the dragon? I'm stumped. :( I only play solo btw.

Edit: Thanks for the hints, guys. :) Maloncanth, how would you use the squire to kill the dragon? Do you just use the giant harpoons? Falkon311, I think I'll try the genie. Sounds like a good combo with piecing shot. Cheers.

Patience, strong defenses, also if you use invisibility near the dragon it wont see you so it will not blow fire, very handy.

Patience, strong defenses, also if you use invisibility near the dragon it wont see you so it will not blow fire, very handy.

Instead it will now concentrate on your defences, doesn't sound such a good idea to me.
The fireballs&breath are relatively easy to dodge anyway.

At risk of being called out for trolling, I propose to you that the top dps weapon for the huntress is a well-leveled Squire. Honestly, instead of farming up a VW, just farm up a squire. With reasonable amounts of fire resist and blocking, you can tank anything the dragon can throw and output 70k dps with relatively little effort and god knows I have a low threshold when it comes to "effort". Connect a controller or get a friend to putter around as the huntress to get the Animus drop.

i bought a legendary vw with 33upgrades for 1.5million mana, compared to playin spook a million times i think i got a deal. my excuse is my laptop can't handle spook :p

Do you play on Trendynet? If so, farm up some mana and buy a decent Blasticus from someone. A non upped one with decent stats... 100k-500k. If not, VW's do drop with 30+ ups, keep farmin lol. If you dont have an animus, I'd suggest a genie so you can just sit there in invis, shoot and spam PS.

If you play on ranked PC I can take you through an insane summit run whenever or offer animus. My steam ID is darkcam

So there you have it! Your solutions are:
* 1) Farm even more and then farm again until you to get a perfect VW.
* 2) Play another class.
* 3) Buy better gear from someone.
* 4) Get a pro to carry you through.

And yes, you use the giant ballistae when the dragon is in front of one. Once shot, the dragon will land and you can lay into it. This is a very good idea even if you are a huntress as you will have a much easier time shooting it and controlling its attacks.

Related to the original question, if you're playing on medium, I believe the level cap is lower on the VW to about what you're experiencing. You need to play on hard for a high upgrade one.