What is there to do?

People have been comparing squires and huntresses. Squires can do more dps, but huntresses have the range...i really don't see why people are complaining. huntresses can kill 3 groups of monsters in three different directions in the same amount of time it takes the squire to kill one and get to the second...even if he is doing twice as much dps, he still has to run there.

this is why huntresses are overplayed. squires, apprentices and monks are used for towers, and huntresses are used for dps.

THIS is why this game is getting a little boring, at least in my opinion. it's just farm farm farm farm, hop on hunter to dps, farm farm farm farm....make a game to sell the items..rinse and repeat. where's the variety in this game?

You can't even really find variety in the weapons, armor, or levels.

Sure there are a lot of levels, but people are going to be farming the later ones for the best drops on insane, or the insane challenges that drop the best items.

There are a lot of weapons, I guess, but if you're going dps..your options are pretty limited unless you want your dps to be awful.

And armor...sure there are a lot of armors too..but the way you spec the gear can only be done a small handful of ways.

So I guess my question to the community is what the hell is there to do besides farm? I really enjoy this game, and have played a lot of it since its release for the PC..but I mean come on, be honest with me? What is the point in the end?

No one cares about the leaderboards (at least no one I know does), so doing timed runs or trying to get the best score for each map seems pointless (at least in my eyes).

And recently I've noticed that 85%+ of the games you can see are either:

A) A game where you get kicked for no reason because the person wants to be alone/play with friends.

B) A game where the person is afk selling items that you have seen over and over before

C) A game where the person is NOT afk but is still selling items that you have seen over and over before

D) A game where the person is selling mana

E) A game that you don't want to join because it's not insane or it's an early level that won't give good drops.

So where is this all going? I understand sometimes the fun is just playing a tower defense game, but recently I don't even know what I want to be.

I have a squire, an apprentice, and a huntress, with no desire to play a monk. I've respecced my squire and apprentice back and forth from tower to hero spec over and over, to try to find something to give the game a little spark but nothing seems to do the trick.

I guess it's easy to see the point in games like WoW or top notch mmo's because there's always some kind of goal you can strive for..but in DD what is there? I have the best gear (or nearly best if only off by a couple points), i have the best weapons (or nearly best, if only off by a couple points), and i've beaten the hardest maps.

I won't bother going into large amounts of detail of the pvp of this game. It's buggy, the mechanics don't make that much clear sense, and it needs a lot of work.

But what about you guys, why do you play? I'm sure you're all geared out as well.

the games 15 bucks, and the dev team is... the games 15 bucks.

So rather than explaining to me why you play and what the ultimate purpose/goal you can strive for from this game is, you chose the 'this game is cheap so there isn't much there' route...not really what I was looking for but thanks I guess.

the games 15 bucks, and the dev team is... the games 15 bucks.

TF2 is free.

MW3 is 40-45.

Price is not really a good measure of gameplay longevity.

Fun cannot be measured in monetary terms. I play this game because its fun, if you don't think so stop playing it.

On your specific points e.g.

A) A game where you get kicked for no reason because the person wants to be alone/play with friends.

Agreed! This is a problem I've already suggested a solution on the sugestion thread.

B) A game where the person is afk selling items that you have seen over and over before

I've not experienced that problem, but then i don't buy items forthis game. But, I do agree that some sort of auction house system is needed for those who can;t be bothered to play the game to earn their gear.

C) A game where the person is NOT afk but is still selling items that you have seen over and over before

As above. I would add that one annoyance I have is joining what looks like a game, only to find it's a shop. Again, this comes down to the need for a proper Auction House system of some sort, or at the very least a Market Level so that players can tell its not a game.

D) A game where the person is selling mana

Duh! You obviously move in completely different circles to me. Are we talking about selling mana for real life cash? I thought only Blizzard games promoted chinese farmers. Some people have more money than sense.

E) A game that you don't want to join because it's not insane or it's an early level that won't give good drops.

I don't even understand this point. As far as I'm aware the game itself has no restrictions on which levels or difficulties you can choose to join. The Host might object and kick you, but that comes back to point A and the solution is the same.

Despite all of the above I still find the game fun to play, just a little lacking in basic controls and features necessary to smooth the process of playing it. But these are early days, if Trendy stop fiddling with the stats and get down to some serious development of these missing features then most of them can easily be cured.

If you're burnt out then take a break from the game.

This isn't an MMO, u don't have guild obligations. Wait for new content and go play something else.

They will be adding new items, levels, and characters.. not to mention, I bet they will eventually make unique gear that has stats boosted towards certain spec'd characters. Such as "random name Plate Vest" that boosts player attack by 20. Item description: "Armor once worn by the toughest Hero in Eternia." Just give the game some time to develop. The Devs are very active from what I have seen, and things look promising. 2 weeks and there will be new levels, a new boss, the Beserker class hero, a new level cap, a new mana cap, new unique items. :squire:

I guess it's easy to see the point in games like WoW or top notch mmo's because there's always some kind of goal you can strive for..

Im going to need to hear what this is actually. Because, as far as I am concerned, you play games to both A) play them, and B) conquer their challenge (beat them).

I need you to elaborate on your statement because as I see it, it is MMO's that have no point. It is an endless grind so they can continue to charge you money (either by subscription or micro payments). The only "point" in that is to take as much of your money as possible.

but in DD what is there? I have the best gear (or nearly best if only off by a couple points), i have the best weapons (or nearly best, if only off by a couple points), and i've beaten the hardest maps.

Congratulations. You seem to have conquered the game. You win. You have 2 choices: You can try to win MORE (beat your scores, or participate in the leaderboards) or you can wait for new content from Trendy.

I really dont see what your problem is nor what you are asking for. Youve basically said that half the "points" in the game do not interest you and the other half you have beaten. Is this such a difficult thing to figure out?

If you want to endlessly mash your fingers against your keyboard for days on end for marginal advancement, there are plenty of korean MMO's that would suit your tastes.

Im going to need to hear what this is actually. Because, as far as I am concerned, you play games to both A) play them, and B) conquer their challenge (beat them).

I need you to elaborate on your statement because as I see it, it is MMO's that have no point. It is an endless grind so they can continue to charge you money (either by subscription or micro payments). The only "point" in that is to take as much of your money as possible.

Congratulations. You seem to have conquered the game. You win. You have 2 choices: You can try to win MORE (beat your scores, or participate in the leaderboards) or you can wait for new content from Trendy.

I really dont see what your problem is nor what you are asking for. Youve basically said that half the "points" in the game do not interest you and the other half you have beaten. Is this such a difficult thing to figure out?

If you want to endlessly mash your fingers against your keyboard for days on end for marginal advancement, there are plenty of korean MMO's that would suit your tastes.

Well said sir. I completely agree with you, especially the fact that MMO's have no point to me as well.

This game is a mobile port, it's to be expected that the content they offerd is extremely limited. However, they are working on releasing new content to be worthy of the PC/Xbox/PS3 ports and hopefully that will alleviate the situation.

My only problem is the extremely buggy patches and lack of foresight: I'd rather they nerf the VW by 66% outright or even release it as it is right now, rather than going through 2 large nerfs. Also, the many many bugs that come with every patch such as not being able to swap in between insane waves with less than 30 seconds on the clock, or being unable to complete the "Catch'em all" achievement kind of gets to you. It would be nice to have some play-testing before hand rather than rushing the patch and using US to play-test.

It probably just indicates that the dev team is probably too few/inexperienced and learning/ or (sad but possible, can't deny the possibility) incompetent.

This game is a mobile port, it's to be expected that the content they offerd is extremely limited. However, they are working on releasing new content to be worthy of the PC/Xbox/PS3 ports and hopefully that will alleviate the situation.

My only problem is the extremely buggy patches and lack of foresight: I'd rather they nerf the VW by 66% outright or even release it as it is right now, rather than going through 2 large nerfs. Also, the many many bugs that come with every patch such as not being able to swap in between insane waves with less than 30 seconds on the clock, or being unable to complete the "Catch'em all" achievement kind of gets to you. It would be nice to have some play-testing before hand rather than rushing the patch and using US to play-test.

It probably just indicates that the dev team is probably too few/inexperienced and learning/ or (sad but possible, can't deny the possibility) incompetent.

Stopped reading after: "this game is a mobile port". If you lack that basic knowledge then I already know the rest of the post is wrong.

skyrim is out so its time to put DD in the trash where it belongs.. until the devs develop some kind of brain and start to un-ruin the game that was great when it came out..

Wow dude. Way to get your nerdrage on. You make it sound like Trendy cut out 90% of the content after release.

Games the exact same as it was at release except a few broken mechanics were nerfed.

You seriously need to get over yourself.

What he is asking for are maps that require 4 god-tier geared people that cannot be soloed.
+1

I could do with that.
but toobad ****net is too busy nerfin huntress.

Once you beat the campaign and the challenges on insane there really is no point to continue playing unless you enjoy playing the same maps over and over. I dumped 105 hours into this game since launch so I'm a bit burned out.

Taking some time off before the new content sounds like a good plan.

What he is asking for are maps that require 4 god-tier geared people that cannot be soloed.
+1

That would have required a lot less writing on all our parts.

I have no doubt we will get it. Released content must become increasingly difficult or there just isnt a challenge.

......Id still like someone to tell me the point of an MMO though......

Stopped reading after: "this game is a mobile port". If you lack that basic knowledge then I already know the rest of the post is wrong.

By all means enlighten us rather then leave a comment that purposefully has no purpose to your quote.

I dunno what to do neither. My characters are in 19/20's decked out weps. Ive grown a little bored of fighting against the insane timer to try place down all my towers n switch heros. I feel no need to play with other people online when i can solo and have no dead weight.

Atm im waiting for the CTF, been trying to get a aplha key. I want to kill other people now, ive had fun killing millions of mobs.

By all means enlighten us rather then leave a comment that purposefully has no purpose to your quote.

My post that said that the game isn't a mobile port and you have no idea what you are talking about had nothing to do with your quoted post? Now I am even more convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about.

The devs made Dungeon Defenders for PC/Console originally, and that has always been their main focus and goal for it. They just made a port to mobile first as a side project which delayed the PC/Console.

My post that said that the game isn't a mobile port and you have no idea what you are talking about had nothing to do with your quoted post? Now I am even more convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I could see how he was confused.

You are correct though. It is not a port. It was developed for PC first and was only released on iOS because publishing issues (which are well documented on this site if anyone really cares) held back the launch of PC and platforms.

Good thing too, probably kept them in business while they waited.

But yeah, not a port. Though I do have to say, as someone who plays on both PC and PS3, damn console users get screwed. Autotargeting, cant change controls, only 4 hotkeys. Game was definitely made for PC first and foremost.

Imagine playing a huntress where you autotarget whatever mod is closest to you. Oh the frustration (before your strong enough to just annihilate everything at a glance anyways).

I could see how he was confused.

You are correct though. It is not a port. It was developed for PC first and was only released on iOS because publishing issues (which are well documented on this site if anyone really cares) held back the launch of PC and platforms.

Good thing too, probably kept them in business while they waited.

But yeah, not a port. Though I do have to say, as someone who plays on both PC and PS3, damn console users get screwed. Autotargeting, cant change controls, only 4 hotkeys. Game was definitely made for PC first and foremost.

Imagine playing a huntress where you autotarget whatever mod is closest to you. Oh the frustration (before your strong enough to just annihilate everything at a glance anyways).

I'm still wondering how they stayed in business for all that time.

Your post said nothing of the sort, and if it wasn't, why did you not just say so?

I'm still wondering how they stayed in business for all that time.

Im sure it was the iOS and mobile releases of the game. I bought it on iphone because I was sick of waiting. It was a HELL of a lot better then most other games on mobiles. Its a hell of a lot better on PC but I still enjoyed it on my iphone and hope that my 1.99$ helped trendy stay open long enough to release this game fully.

Everythingwas ready to go over a year ago. Then trendys publisher went out of business and Trendy had to find a new publisher and then re-submit to xbox live. Microsoft, being huge douches, take forever (as well as placing huge restrictions, like if they release on PC or PS3 before Xbox, xbox wont release the game at all) and pushed back the release of everything.

In the end, we all had to wait a whole extra year for the real game. It was the "a little difficult to use" but "hell of a lot better then most other games" mobile part that bridged the gap for them financially.

Thats what ive gathered from reading these forums since august of last year. To be fair for all I know, they were given 20 million in venture capital and laughed all the way to the bank every day that Microsoft ****ed around.