Sign in to follow this  
Chi-Ro

XBLA and Steam

Not that it really matters, and I realize this isn't wholly relevant to DD (all games are different blabla etc...), But I found this article very interesting:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/20/cthulhu-saves-the-world-pc-sales-smash-xbox-live/

Summery: "Made more in less than a week on Steam than they did in more than a year on Xbox Live"

/endlegitimatepost

You may proceed to *****.

Edit: How is ***** a censored word?...

Not that it really matters, and I realize this isn't wholly relevant to DD (all games are different blabla etc...), But I found this article very interesting:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/20/cthulhu-saves-the-world-pc-sales-smash-xbox-live/

Summery: "Made more in less than a week on Steam than they did in more than a year on Xbox Live"

/endlegitimatepost

A comment on the article from that link.

"That's because XNA is available pretty much nowhere, and for no reason at all they're not listed with the normal Xbox Live Arcade games.
It's been years since XNA was introduced and we still can't purchase the games here (Netherlands).
Besides that, XNA is a terrible library too, ties you to 2 platforms. If they would have used SDL, they could have done a Windows, OS-X and Linux game which would perform better too."

There you go. Stop trying to convince TE.

/endlegitimatepost

Been posted a few times m8... that is an xbli or xbox line indi game.

TE is releasing om xbla or xbox live arcade.

The indi one doesn't sell well usually but arcade does sell better then xbli. A better case is super meat boy and steam.

Fin

Been posted a few times m8... that is an xbli or xbox line indi game.

TE is releasing om xbla or xbox live arcade.

The indi one doesn't sell well usually but arcade does sell better then xbli. A better case is super meat boy and steam.

Fin

Yes, I was actually the first person to point out super meat boy (and was called a moron for it, more or less). I know the point itself has been made (I made it, myself in one of the threads), but the point itself isn't the reason for the post, honestly I just found this interesting. Like I said from the get go, this really isn't all that relevant to TE or DD, I just thought it was cool news. ;)

ya this actually is interesting, and at least he isnt bumping threads to remind people but then just get criticized for it...Naed and Finally...

Yes, I was actually the first person to point out super meat boy (and was called a moron for it, more or less). I know the point itself has been made (I made it, myself in one of the threads), but the point itself isn't the reason for the post, honestly I just found this interesting. Like I said from the get go, this really isn't all that relevant to TE or DD, I just thought it was cool news. ;)

We all know that te will be more sucessful on PC then any other system but they feel the need to wait 8+months for advertising rather then be a hit that m$ would be drooling over...

why does this keep popping up here on the forum and facebook? we know Steam sells better, but does it really matter? just bc it sells better doesnt mean you should ignore the other platforms.

and please for the love of god learn to use the right material for your arguements if your going use them (cthulu is a xbli game not xbla, there is a clear difference go look and see why those games sell really bad). as said super meat boy is the better example for the arguement about being screwed over by MS

edit; let me clarify that i think the pc version should of came out forever ago and TE doesnt need the advertisements, word of mouth is way better than stupid advertisements. if the pc version came out early nobody would be that mad (cept ps3 guys but they always get screwed over :p).

ya this actually is interesting, and at least he isnt bumping threads to remind people but then just get criticized for it...Naed and Finally...

Hey someone who actually just sees the thread for what it is, an interesting article. I didn't expect to get a post like that, thanks for actually following the purpose of the thread. ;D

/me sits back to watch the rest of the debbie downers ruin everyone's mood with why this and that is stupid, wrong, or shouldn't be posted in every thread.

Hey someone who actually just sees the thread for what it is, an interesting article. I didn't expect to get a post like that, thanks for actually following the purpose of the thread. ;D

/me sits back to watch the rest of the debbie downers ruin everyone's mood with why this and that is stupid, wrong, or shouldn't be posted in every thread.

but its not that interesting if you actually had an xbox and knew where the indie games are. if you knew how to get to them you would understand why they dont sell well and you would also see that its full of just games that are made by amatures makeing the really good ones hard to find.

xbli games are games made by ppl that are interested in making games but have little to no experience, xlbi games also have alot of limitations to what theyre allowed to do (cant go over a certain amount of bytes size). to get to the xbli marketplace you have to go through 2 menus and its the very last thing you see in the row. another thing that holds them back is you have to be connected to the internet to play them, if you get disconnected you loose everything you did.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/XboxIndieGames thats the best selling games as of today, as you can see alot of those games are of the quality you would find on a free game website (there are exceptions ofcourse).

point is; its not interesting that steam sold alot better than xbli bc MS does not in any sense advertise or even promote xbli games whatsoever.

As a X-box player I stopped looking at Indi games due to games like Baby maker extreme or how to talk to girls, most of these games have bad graphics and no plot. like cheap versions of Angry Birds....

I would like to see sales #'s for D&D Daggerdale as that would give us a better idea what their sales will look like on each system. Even though they still have not patched X-box or PS versions but they have for PC.

The only info I have is that D&D was the top sold game in June for live games but no sales #'s.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-15-d-and-d-daggerdale-leads-xbla-chart

Welp as long as everyones throwing around links related to other indie games here is mine http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/18/gasp-super-meat-boy-sells-12-copies-on-d2d/
After reading said article I hope TE takes a page out of Team Meat's book of business, or at the very least they won't try to heap more pathetic excuses on us about why they held back on the PC release.

Welp as long as everyones throwing around links related to other indie games here is mine http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/18/gasp-super-meat-boy-sells-12-copies-on-d2d/
After reading said article I hope TE takes a page out of Team Meat's book of business, or at the very least they won't try to heap more pathetic excuses on us about why they held back on the PC release.

Paragraph 2 TE, read it... then read the last one...

Xbox Live Indie Games and Xbox Live Arcade Games are completely different. I don't think any mainstream Xbox consumer purchases games there or even knows the indie channel exists. That might change when Microsoft changes around the dashboard in the near future, but that's how it is right now. Dungeon Defenders will be a full Xbox Live Arcade release.

Oh, and we are working with Valve for the PC Release and I will reiterate the Super Meat Boy devs claims that they are a pleasure to work with :).

Xbox Live Indie Games and Xbox Live Arcade Games are completely different. I don't think any mainstream Xbox consumer purchases games there or even knows the indie channel exists.

It's worse than that: it's a flood of very average, home-made games that are barely worth the time it takes to sift through them. There are some real creative gems in there, but it'll take you weeks to dig them out. I was looking for some fun split-screen games to play with friends, and after an afternoon of searching, I came away with a handful of decent ones, but it's still a horrible system.

Back with Steam: it's nice to see that developers can finally focus on PC again if they wish to. The number of more creative titles coming out recently, just for PC, making use of easy multiplayer and a general willingness to try whatever's going is nice. Steam is making the PC a genuine gaming platform again, when it was flagging recently.

It's worse than that: it's a flood of very average, home-made games that are barely worth the time it takes to sift through them. There are some real creative gems in there, but it'll take you weeks to dig them out. I was looking for some fun split-screen games to play with friends, and after an afternoon of searching, I came away with a handful of decent ones, but it's still a horrible system.

Back with Steam: it's nice to see that developers can finally focus on PC again if they wish to. The number of more creative titles coming out recently, just for PC, making use of easy multiplayer and a general willingness to try whatever's going is nice. Steam is making the PC a genuine gaming platform again, when it was flagging recently.

you mean the flood of below average games right? most of the games on it are terrible. sure there are some real good gems in it but most get buried in the thick of it cept the ones that are lucky enough to get on kotakus pick of the week (which they havnt done in awhile) and top rated/downloaded. I tried searching through it one weekend but its really hard to know if the games is even worth a look before clickin on it to see more info, so i gave up after an hour of searching.

I have a feeling that with the help of steam pc gaming will rise again soon if MS, sony, and nintendo keep up with this gimmicky crap (MS has already made a comment about trying to have every game on the 360 having some kinect feature by late 2012). I personally wont be buying another console, whenever my laptop dies ill be getting a gaming pc and just buy games for it.