Friends and I considered huge backing donations but...

I have to say it kind of seems like DDA gets little to no care at all, as updates are extremely for between. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of what the devs have to deal with or the work flow, but with how much that game has to catch up with DD1, it doesn't look promising. Have the feeling it will lose all Community really quickly when people just don't have any new content holding them in. I still can't fathom on any level why DD1 wasn't just continued, ported to Xbox/Switch and improved upon from there. That's what most games are doing these days as a model, and as long as it's not some greed riddled P2W cash grab. I'd happily pay for dd1 again and happily buy DLC after precious DLC as well. Which brings me to my last point, I don't know the details of this either, but it seems like a poor decision to not charge for any of the characters being added to awakened. That seems to have put awakened at the very bottom of the bottom of the list as far as priorities for updates. My update it or spend the money and time to do so if it's not making you any money. So anyone who yells at me cuz they don't want to pay money for people's work, are just shooting themselves in the foot at the end of the day. 

DDA still gets updated.  There was a bit of a delay due to a handful of issues, some were unexpected and others were misjudged expectations.  It had a new content drop not that long ago, with the winter map added.  Also, Episode 2 part 1 wasn't that long ago, adding 2 maps, new hero, trading, and runes.

Part of the problem, which I think they are in the process of resolving, is that they were holding off on releasing content as these big "Episodes", which included 4 maps, 2 heroes, a new boss, and whatever else might be included.  That's a lot of dev time, making a relatively long wait.  Hopefully, since they split up Episode 2, they can realize that each piece could be it's own content drop, letting each map have it's time in the sun instead of players skipping to the last one in the list to farm gear.

It's also worth noting that CG is a small team, and they are supporting DDA, DDGR, and DD2.  Some of the devs even went back to update DD1.  On top of that, there's still pre-release promises to uphold, like cross-save, splitscreen, and other Kickstarter rewards; which is all stuff that a small fraction of players will use when compared to something like a new map/hero.