Thoughts and Feedback with DDGR

So yeah, I've finally played Going Rogue, tried and completed on "medium" difficulty solo. Gonna put my thoughts on my experience with this. I'll be breaking this into sections.

Overall Currently

It fun, It do be pretty fun there. I do like it that its a little more fast-paced than your average DD game where you mostly rely on your towers and DPS-ing is just to keep things in check sometimes. This time DPS-ing feels integral to the gameplay which makes you feel like you're actually playing, so yeah I'm beginning to get why Going Rogue might be better as a slightly separate genre.

The boss fights - The Demon Lord and The Goblin Mech - All I can say is - chef's kiss, Chef's Kiss! I love it! I don't use dash that much with regular maps but it all comes together in the Boss Arenas, you have to utilize it to the max and it's actually fun! I'll have to compare this to DDA's Boss Test and I'll be honest - The tests are challenging but at the same time kinda annoying due to how the maps are structured with meshes and objects making you bump into things here and there. Test aren't something I'd play again for fun. On the other hand with GR's Open Boss rooms, it's an absolute brawl of what I think a boss fight should be. 

I didn't add The Ancient Dragon to the tier of chef's kiss as I don't find it as fun as the first two but it's still alright. Would be great if I can see the holes so I don't keep falling in them. But I'm thankful that falling down maps doesn't end the game now.

At it's current state, Going Rogue feels like something fun that you can play from time to time. It's not something to grind the heck out like previous DD games. Reward-wise, I think it would be pretty cool if there's something really awesome being awarded for beating the roguelite with every hero.

Weapons 

Yeah...some did mentioned that the weapon does feel pretty samey. I too, would prefer it if each weapon have a unique properties only available to that particular weapon instead of being mods where a weapon can have two of the same which is weird. This is more on melee weapons though. With crossbows, I can feel some difference there.

Runes

I dig this iteration of using modifiers so I'm pretty fine with how it is but it could use some improving. One thing I find weird is that Destiny Runes doesn't really feel anything special. Would be cool if Destiny Runes only consist of exclusive runes that you can't find anywhere else (including the shops). And another thing I find is that most of the runes also feels the same throughout the run which does make powering up feels a little bland.

UI

Since there's plans to improve the UI, I'm not going to go over that. Though I have two feedbacks with it  - (1) I find the Armor and Health bar at bit too subtle, I think it would be better if the bars are more visually apparent rather than blending in the background. Would give some sense of urgency when you're low on health instead of sometimes getting caught unaware when you go into the mob all gung-ho. (2) I would like the see a version rune wheel UI (shown in the teaser) being used to display the runes in the "inventory". It's mainly for the cool visual flair.

Progressions on getting stronger

So yeah.....It's not too bad but now when I think more of it. Powering up just feels like you're powering up and that's it. You're just getting stronger but not going crazy with combos or builds. I think the Rune system could be a great way to bring in crazy passives for your towers/abilities to do more insane and flashy stuffs. 

Thematic progressions with maps

I love how the first act goes where you start from the underground but past the Demon Lord, the whole thematic progression starts to fall apart when you start to go everywhere. Kinda breaks the immersion for me by the time I've reached the Ancient Dragon. I feel like it would fit the thematic aspect better if the maps between The Demon Lord and Goblin Mech are all involved with the Castle Interiors while the maps leading to the Ancient Dragon are all Castle Exteriors and Rooftops for example. Based on what Magma Mine brought, it does sound possible to create variants of the same map which is pretty cool.

Also, speaking of maps, since there's changes to some with the addition of new maps, I'm also going to put my thought about them. I'm also aware that is still most likely unfinished.

Ancient Mines - I love it! The maps was already one of my favorites in DDA but the new lighting took it to the next level! Would be cool to see this in DDA too.

Lava Mines - Lighting look really wonky, it's just too bright. I guess it's probably unfinished.

Magma Mines - It's really cool how the top portion of Lava Mines can be turned into another map with a complete different vibe.

Alchemical Labs - Love the lighting! When the map was original revealed during 2019, I fell in love with how the map looked, so I was kinda later confused when the lighting for Alc Labs got really orange. This version finally scratched the itch!

Demon Lord Arena - My favorite boss arena and top map for me! For some reason it gives me a fighting genre vibe and I love it! I also would like to see this map make it into traditional tower defense DDA in some form too. It's really cool!

Tornado Highlands - I'm kinda torn on which one to dig more. I like the night version as the torches gives the map a unique vibe while its daytime version gives some consistency with the other Tornado-themed maps.

Throne Room - I really like the new lighting there, the stained-glass windows just need to glow like in DDA and the map would look gucci!

Goblin Mech Arena - I'll be honest, it's my least favorite map. I think it needs to look more regal with more shiny decorative weapons/metals, stone/brick walls and a sunset sky/weather.

Arcane Library - I haven't actually encountered the map yet, but based on the trailer, the lighting looks too blue. I would prefer the lighting of its DDA counterpart.

Royal Garden and Promenade - I don't think both map's lighting are finished right?

Ancient Dragon Arena - It's alright, mentioned above it's just the holes are pretty hard to see. The dragon eggs are a pretty nice touch though.

So yeah I think that's about it with my thoughts on DDGR. Again, it's definitely a refreshing take with DD for me.

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

I think the Rune system could be a great way to bring in crazy passives for your towers/abilities to do more insane and flashy stuffs. 

I think something like Risk of Rain 2's system would work well.  In that game, completing specific challenges would unlock new variations of a hero's abilities.  So for a DDGR example, using the Apprentice to defeat X enemies with fire damage in a single run could unlock the alternate Flameburst/Flamethrower tower.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 11:59 PM, Batophobia said:

I think something like Risk of Rain 2's system would work well.  In that game, completing specific challenges would unlock new variations of a hero's abilities.  So for a DDGR example, using the Apprentice to defeat X enemies with fire damage in a single run could unlock the alternate Flameburst/Flamethrower tower.

I like that idea! I also saw your feedback expanding the idea into having multiple unlockables for unique defenses/abilities which could enable multiple playstyles and that sounds really cool. It's nice to be able setup the build you want to use before going in so when runes drops you know what to pick to make your builds stronger. Would give the aspect of making choices a bit more depth.

• Like 1

Still having fun, really wish they put some assualt style maps in (without the bs range nerf assualt always had). 

Maybe monster fest 2.0, action action action let's go!  

Tried reinstalling DDA but game felt so different, no where near as crisp and fun as DDGR. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hover Tower 2000 said:

Still having fun, really wish they put some assualt style maps in (without the bs range nerf assualt always had). 

Maybe monster fest 2.0, action action action let's go!  

Tried reinstalling DDA but game felt so different, no where near as crisp and fun as DDGR. 

Would be interesting to see Assault in DDGR as an additional gamemode if one wants to take a break from the tower defense aspect. Or maybe combine Assault and Monsterfest for a double insanity where you need to fight and destroy dark defenses guarding the Dark Eternia Crystals while at the same time survive enemy onslaughts chasing you haha!

Yeah, while I understand the need to nerf jump and range for balance purposes, they do feel a slightly annoying especially the jump for me. Would be nice of these were loosened a teensy bit.

• Like 1

Great thread, thanks for the detailed breakdown.  Those of us on PS won't see this game for a long time, so I'm vicariously living through you.... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

PS won't see this game for a long time

Here's hoping we get it in a better state for y'all! And that the wait isn't to long (but for goodness sake CG don't rush for console release you won't recover a bad release imo). 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

Great thread, thanks for the detailed breakdown.  Those of us on PS won't see this game for a long time, so I'm vicariously living through you.... 

Happy to give an idea on how it is! And yeah, I second Hover Tower too, hopefully you'll get to experience Going Rogue in a better state whenever it's ready (also hopefully sooner rather than later)

• Thanks 1