I'm sure this topic has been talked about before, just want to voice my frustration too. Gilded shard farming is not fun. It takes far too long and simply isn't fun. I understand that this a grind game, however most other grinds are guaranteed to make progress the hours you put into it (i.e material farming for mods/armor/relics). You can grind for endless hours and not get 1 shard you need to make a gilded one, even though thats not likely puts into perspective the mind-numbing grind to get 1/11 shards needed. Shard dust should instead of being 10:1 for another gamble it should either be 2-3:1 or 50:1 and a choice of what shard you get. At ~10 mins per map that would put the maximum farming needed for a gilded shard at 4-4.5 hours for 1.  At the end of the day farming low chaos tiers is not fun. especially when there is no guarantee you will make any progress in 8+ hours.

Just an FYI, those numbers I suggested were just the first ones that came to mind, not what I think they should be. It's more about the reward to playtime ratio.

Yup, farming does take a long time. Now imagine how it was before dust existed.

Unfortunately, both of those features were given as bonuses to the base game. Dusting was to make it a little bit easier but not guaranteed and Gilding was given as an option for endgame players to squeeze a bit more out of their defenses. Since their introduction players have twisted Gilding from being for very endgame to being required for everyone and dusting as an additional chance to get a shard you want into some kind of feature to guarantee shards, and forgetting why they were introduced in the first place.

I feel your pain but you are right, many people have brought this up before and it hasnt been changed yet.