Posted (edited)

I just wanted to take a moment to talk about the PTR, because I feel like DDA is in its best state right now.

We've finally got some extra heros in the mix, and whilst I've not played with them all that much, the Rogue looks quite fun, and the Warden brings some new towers to play with. The Warden's Sludge Launcher is probably her best defense so far, with it being a tower that I've found quite a bit of use out of. I'm happy there's more choice of hero to play now, with some of the base heros feeling more defined now with the stat changes. I've been playing mostly Squire so far and he feels miles better than he did before. I've made posts in the past talking about DPS balance, and the Squire feels ridiculously juiced up right now, it's actually crazy. He's just insanely healthy, his abilities are really good, and he gets good value out of most of the new passives. Overall I'm VERY happy with this.

Items in general feel way better now than before, at least in my opinion. I was worried that simplifying the stats down would make items more homogenous and boring, but item passives and set bonuses have added a ton of desirability and uniqueness to items that I felt was missing before. First, Agility and Cast Rate are mostly gone now, which is good. Less redundant stats is a good thing in my book. Ability affecting both your abilities is just a better way of handling this stat IMO. The 'Skill' and 'Boost' stats really weren't very intuitive, and both stats had some pretty terrible returns on investments, so combining both into one gives more value and trims down item cards by a decent amount. All in all, good changes so far.

Item passives give you a lot more stuff to look for now, and makes item choices less binary. The new Off hand items having passives like boosting attack speed, or giving mana on hit adds some new stuff to the game which we haven't really had before. Attack speed for weapons was mostly locked to the attack speed the item dropped with and nothing more. These Off hand items also contribute to set bonuses, which again adds more variability to item choices. There will be times that you will swap from one Off hand to another because it has different passives, or different stats, or a different set bonus.

Item passives on weapons are really interesting as well, like having life steal or a chance to fire a rocket or a chance to explode the target on hit. Also, item passives having different rarities further adds to the uniqueness of items. Getting a boss item with the perfect passives you're looking for would probably be a rush. This feels true with the gear as well, which is where all the defense stats have moved to. There have been a few times where I picked up an item that didn't have all the defense stats on it, because it had decent passives or was part of a certain set bonus, which is just almost unheard of for DDA. Seeing some of the gear passives for defenses gets my brain working, trying to think of places where I can use them. The damage bonus passive on repairs could be really good for the squire's blockades or the huntress traps, which just take damage anyway. Having a slice and dice blockade with this passive could be absolutely huge. This could add a ton of build variety, and make niche builds actually viable. The accessories having support passives like passive MP regen or %HP regen or move speed or stability adds more uniqueness and desirability to these items, and adds more room for min-maxing. 

All this chat about item passives and set bonuses so far, and this is supposed to be the FOUNDATION for this system. That's kind of crazy to think about.

This to me is such a massive step in the right direction: Items feel really interesting and unique, there's more hero choices now, and as well DDA now feels considerably different to DD1. It now feels like DDA has taken some of things that worked from DD2 and brought them in. Having a hero deck is really nice QoL, but now that you don't need 75 heros for every possible permutation of hero is quite nice. Like me, I can play actively on my Squire and also use that hero to build some walls, which just reduces the hero clutter and lets players focus more on less heros. Item passives were quite a big thing in the earlier parts of DD2's life cycle, which makes it nice to see them return. 

It's a bit of a shame that defense rate had to be 'hard capped' but it is what it is really. For a Switch release to be possible, this is the sort of compromise that has to be made. Plus, it doesn't really matter all that much. If the tower hits half as often, but the damage per hit is doubled then the DPS is same. As well, having a million hit splats on screen makes the game super hard to read, and tanks performance like crazy. 

Keep this up, and this game is going to be a banger. I'm actually looking forward to playing DDA when the Episode 1 update goes live - which just says everything. 

Edited by The Pink Raccoon
spelling
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, The Pink Raccoon said:

It's a bit of a shame that defense rate had to be 'hard capped' but it is what it is really. For a Switch release to be possible, this is the sort of compromise that has to be made. Plus, it doesn't really matter all that much. If the tower hits half as often, but the damage per hit is doubled then the DPS is same. As well, having a million hit splats on screen makes the game super hard to read, and tanks performance like crazy. 

Agree with everything you said except this part.

I'm actually super pissed about the hard cap on tower attack rate and I doubt I'll play the game anymore if it remains that way. Why even have an attack rate stat if you're just going to hard cap it? It's pointless and it removes a big part of the fun of the game, at least for me.

Edited by VillainousTaco
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, VillainousTaco said:

I'm actually super pissed about the hard cap on tower attack rate and I doubt I'll play the game anymore if it remains that way. Why even have an attack rate stat if you're just going to hard cap it? It's pointless and it removes a big part of the fun of the game, at least for me.

I absolutely understand why people feel the way they do about this, and I share the same sentiment in that "what's the point in having a stat if its hard capped". I guess you could say I'm just trying to look at the positive side of it.

For me, it's not a deal breaker if the attack rate is hard capped. Defense rate has always been a weird stat; when you get to a certain point there's just an insane amount of diminishing returns, where you need like 1000 more defense rate to take the attack rate from 0.11 to 0.10. The way I'm looking at it is "well at least now it's always consistently useful". Overall, I don't think players will distribute their points any differently. I reckon most people already dump most of their points into defense power anyway.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, VillainousTaco said:

Well I dont see a point why you get pissed about that. Attack speed was pretty much hard capped whole time except last patch which totally removed it. And people just got used to it.

Also I think when they said that it is now compensated to dmg. If it is compensated then its ok. 

You still have very fast ticking auras, long lasting all stunning gas traps for 20 seconds. 85 percent slow ensnares. DSTs firing pretty much same speed on massacre. Only thing I noticed is when you boost it with apprentice or its visible on magic missile tower or flamebursts.

We have many new builds now viable and two new heroes and lots of passives to work with - this is hardly time to be pissed lots of new great stuff as Racoon pointed.

So chill out and try to play it its really fun now.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:54 AM, atharix said:

Well I dont see a point why you get pissed about that. Attack speed was pretty much hard capped whole time except last patch which totally removed it. And people just got used to it.

Also I think when they said that it is now compensated to dmg. If it is compensated then its ok. 

You still have very fast ticking auras, long lasting all stunning gas traps for 20 seconds. 85 percent slow ensnares. DSTs firing pretty much same speed on massacre. Only thing I noticed is when you boost it with apprentice or its visible on magic missile tower or flamebursts.

We have many new builds now viable and two new heroes and lots of passives to work with - this is hardly time to be pissed lots of new great stuff as Racoon pointed.

So chill out and try to play it its really fun now.

In your opinion.  For others it's not welcome at all.  ESPECIALLY considering that any "wasted" points into attack speed increases damage at a lower amount than it would if they had been put into damage, so you aren't compensated: you're punished.  Redirect your character's points in attack speed, and no point in upgrading the stat on gear now.  What was the point of having the stats overhaul where they got rid of stats like casting and speed, which had very hard caps, just to keep tower rate in there for people to waste points on?  It's a glaring oversight to what could have been a great patch.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:54 AM, VillainousTaco said:

You are correct that DPS stays the same but it is still a massive nerf.

Not all towers do splash damage so anything above the health cap of the minion is wasted. You are always better off hitting more often for less to not waste damage and to get to the next target faster.

I understand your disapointing about the attack speed hardcap but together with the last patch (lesser enemys) this was a good choice, and to be honest 1 for DST is still prety fast personally i would like to see a max speed of 1,5-2 to finally let DST be what it should be a sniper tower and not a overall solution for everything without to think about LoS etc

On 6/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, The Pink Raccoon said:

Items in general feel way better now than before, at least in my opinion. I was worried that simplifying the stats down would make items more homogenous and boring, but item passives and set bonuses have added a ton of desirability and uniqueness to items that I felt was missing before. First, Agility and Cast Rate are mostly gone now, which is good. Less redundant stats is a good thing in my book. Ability affecting both your abilities is just a better way of handling this stat IMO. The 'Skill' and 'Boost' stats really weren't very intuitive, and both stats had some pretty terrible returns on investments, so combining both into one gives more value and trims down item cards by a decent amount. All in all, good changes so far.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, The Pink Raccoon said:

This to me is such a massive step in the right direction: Items feel really interesting and unique, there's more hero choices now, and as well DDA now feels considerably different to DD1. It now feels like DDA has taken some of things that worked from DD2 and brought them in. Having a hero deck is really nice QoL, but now that you don't need 75 heros for every possible permutation of hero is quite nice. Like me, I can play actively on my Squire and also use that hero to build some walls, which just reduces the hero clutter and lets players focus more on less heros. Item passives were quite a big thing in the earlier parts of DD2's life cycle, which makes it nice to see them return. 

I agree with you but this get still a bit prevented with the rifted gear unfortunately, with the additional hero slots and the bonuses of heroes who are not in the deck don't count anyway, it will also be time to look at rifted gear again, the point and purpose was that you can have max 4 rifted tower in the game per player, that will now theoretically increased to 6 per player anyway. The main difficult will be still to get the first full Set and then the highest ILvl per piece. In my opinion, a good solution would be to say every set rifted 2 or all towers, but in return you can only place 3-4 different rifted towers types on the map, when all towers get rifted you can still maximizing it with the new Set boni and more but you will be not forced to have 5 squirrels for a full rifted squirrel Setup as example.
alternate you could additional say all towers get rifted but just the set Tower will get full Set Stat increase.

Don't get much of this at all.  The drastic change to the stat system has limited and ruined the gear imo.  It's so narrowed the point of gear farming and reduced the value of the rare find.  Hate most of it in the changes.  Actually since rifted.  It seems like every gear revamp has ruined everything we've done up to this point and made gear more shallow and simplistic.