Thoughts on Beta and game direction

I always go into Beta releases with a strong sense of patience expecting there to be bugs and things that I'll need to adjust to and get used to.  It seems like it's been so long since any major update or content I was really excited for this. 

Overall, there are some exciting things happening with maps and bonus waves and new characters.  The sharpening stones are a cool concept.

I have only scratched the surface on the new characters so not able to comment on them very much at this point other than it's fun to play around with new skills and play style. 

I can't wrap my head around the drastic overhaul of the stats system.  Armour and accessories all tower focus while pet and weapons are the DPS focus.  SO MANY aspects of the game have become redundant and meaningless which is frustrating.  Though we all have a love/hate relationship with grinding systems it's become very shallow in the variety of builds we can do with our characters and we are so limited in our setups now.  I loaded all my toons and was looking at the reset stats and scratching my head and I don't know how many times I said out loud "what's the point".  All the grinding for Giraffe and rock pets to help with tower builders.  Levelling multiple toons to build unique specializations.  So many items in my inventory have become pointless.  I'm never going to use 90% of the items that are available.  I'll farm a cat or genie but now I can't even find a point to most of the pets that might have not had a dps use but now they are useless for towers as well.  The stats seemed completely different so I had no frame of reference for whether I could or couldn't get through survival mass/hc/rift but played through a quick one no problem.  Anyway, just a bit of a rant about once again there being a major overhaul of the way armour and gear works and it just seeming to be a massive overhaul that makes even more of the game irrelevant and that's frustrating. 

Some of the beta bugs I've had are stats are continually resetting.  I put my lvl 100 character stats into whatever I want and go to another character and when I go back to any of them the points have been reset and I have to assign them again.  Constantly.

The sharpening stones need to be a different graphic in our inventory.  They look cool when they drop in the map but I thought the game wasn't giving them to me at first until I realized they all show up in inventory as the squire shield and you have to read the details.  They should show in inventory with the graphic they show when the drop.

The stats system shooting dummies in tav make no sense.  My son and I were in the same tav and my gear and stats are better than him.  On the fusion dummy I was doing 30-40 mil dps and his toon was doing 60 and looking at every comparable metric mine was better.  So there seem to be bugs there.

Ultimately I think the gear overhaul is a big step backwards.  We want content, maps and bosses and maybe some new gear or weapons.  Assigning fixed purpose stats on armour and weapons and pets like this means you've eliminated the purpose of a huge amount of drops.

Why do we still have an inventory system with filtered bags rather than the old DD1 system.  :(.  We've been asking for this forever and these major systems overhauls are still going on while the inventory storage system stay in this horrible state.  That would be a nice change imo. 

Sorry if this all sound negative.  There is a lot of cool stuff here and I'm enjoying the new content.  I just can't understand why gear went this direction and that's kinda frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Switch console is the problem. Everything has to be changed and scaled down just so it works on that console. Everything else just has to stick it. Look at the inventory, worse than what we have now. The reduction of enemies, tower attack rates. The loot on the floor is so small, when you take a look up close the quality is almost out of focus. It's hard to see what the items are now. I'm worried for future content and what else will be changed. They should of known this was going to be a problem from the start. Not sell us a game and 1 year later say we have to scale it down now so it runs on a worse piece of hardware. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, PNM86 said:

The loot on the floor is so small, when you take a look up close the quality is almost out of focus. 

Yeah, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of that too. The extra rarity glow is nice but the items themselves are just too small to be comfortably noticed and detected for me. (If I wanted to know what they look like)

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

While I'm also disappointed, I'm in the completely opposite direction of it.

I like the stat changes, and more importantly like the focus on cool set effects that give us different things.  The problem I have with it now is that it runs in opposition to fusion gear, making fun set collections pointless.  What's the point of having all this gear with cool effects on it when we still only look at fusion gear to progress rift mode?

I like that "useless" stats were removed or streamlined, because yes it's silly to have repair rate as a stat when our gear hits the soft cap for it so easily.  But with that said, we need more INTERESTING stats on gear.  Now that things are streamlined so we can't waist points on useless stats, I want to see the inclusion of new stats that allow us to tweak further.

So I fundamentally disagree that pushing out more content is the most important thing for this game right now.  The core fundamentals of the system design needed to be reworked.  Just right now they aren't where they need to be as a replacement.  More content is always nice, but if the underlying systems of the game are bad, more content isn't going to help.

Also the attack rate change is wholly unacceptable.  It has completely soured this patch for me.

Edited by Valthejean
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, Valthejean said:

While I'm also disappointed, I'm in the completely opposite direction of it.

I like the stat changes, and more importantly like the focus on cool set effects that give us different things.  The problem I have with it now is that it runs in opposition to fusion gear, making fun set collections pointless.  What's the point of having all this gear with cool effects on it when we still only look at fusion gear to progress rift mode?

I like that "useless" stats were removed or streamlined, because yes it's silly to have repair rate as a stat when our gear hits the soft cap for it so easily.  But with that said, we need more INTERESTING stats on gear.  Now that things are streamlined so we can't waist points on useless stats, I want to see the inclusion of new stats that allow us to tweak further.

So I fundamentally disagree that pushing out more content is the most important thing for this game right now.  The core fundamentals of the system design needed to be reworked.  Just right now they aren't where they need to be as a replacement.  More content is always nice, but if the underlying systems of the game are bad, more content isn't going to help.

Also the attack rate change is wholly unacceptable.  It has completely soured this patch for me.

I Agree with much of this.  My statement about content was meaning before the game started going these odd places with fusion etc.  I wanted more content but since fusion I haven't liked the changes.  I just assumed that they aren't going to change things the way a lot of us want and are still scratching our heard about so my point was stop screwing with the system and give us content.  Well now obviously there's stuff I'd like changed. lol

• Like 1