Xbox One, Bug, Cannot play online when connecting via eduroam

Hi. I have my Xbox one with me at uni in the UK and I use a service called eduroam to connect to the internet (a service used by all UK universities). Unfortunately, whenever I try and join a multiplayer session I am met with ‘Failed to join session because there was an error retrieving the address’. 

My friend tried playing with my account on his Xbox one and he could play online without any issues so I believe the issue is due to eduroam.

Ant insight on the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Drew

Hello Drew!

We don't do anything fancy however our game is a Peer2Peer setup and not client -> server based game like World of Warcraft. This likely means you're going to be running into issues with this eduroam service based on a quick read about what it is, if they block that sort of thing or have a non-normal NAT setup(likely). Unfortunately there isn't much workaround to this but we'll look into possibly a solution. In the mean time offline play is likely your only option unless you use a VPN perhaps(never tried that with our game so not sure) or use another type of internet connection.

• Like 1

Eduroam blocks most p2p services, your best bet would be to use a router that allows you to set a vpn tunnel, connect your xbox to that router, and connect that router to eduroam. A laptop can be used as that router if you are able to configure it to share the network access.

Your school IT department might come knocking to make sure you have a loicense for whatever you're doing.

Edited by chpoit

Hi Ice and chpoit. Thank you both for your quick and detailed reply, using a VPN is a great idea. I was able to set this up okay but unfortunately, my VPN appears to be too slow for my needs. DDA fails to connect to Playfab and other games (like COD Cold War) also cannot connect to their online service. I will see if I can get hold of a better VPN and try again. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue as me I followed the instructions here: 

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/connect-network/connect-live-using-pc

You need to connect to your VPN first and then select your VPN as the network to share, this got me onto the internet okay. If anyone has any success then let us know.

Thanks again!

- Drew

Hi everyone. I have success!
It turns out that eduroam tries to block a VPN which is why I was having issues beforehand. However, changing your ‘connection type’ from UDP—>TCP gets around this problem.

I could not find a way to make this change in the native windows 10 client, however, the software ‘private VPN’ has a free trial with no credit card required, you can download their client and change the connection type in ‘advanced settings’. This VPN connection then shows up in your network connections list when active and can be shared using the method in the link in my previous post.

I can now play DDA online and with my friends :) 

Thanks again everyone and happy defending!

- Drew

• Like 1