pressdelight

The Problems With RIFT

I've been putting a decent amount of time into DDA since the beta testing and release of Rift Mode.  There are a few aspects of the mode that I enjoy, but overall I have to be honest and say that I think this has been several steps in the wrong direction.

Farming feels pointless  -   A huge part of farming any map was the exciting possibility of a useful drop on any wave.  Narrowing Useful drops to only specific maps on specific waves means that 99% of game play is overwhelmingly pointless with no hope of a lucky rare drop that can make any wave have good possibilities.

Rift Gear makes Godly gear pointless   -   Playing any map and getting a good godly piece feels like a drag.  What should have been an exciting moment of maybe getting the odd improvement on your Godly gear feels like "oh well I'll sell it because it's not rift".

Negative and backwards game progression  -  After countless hours of farming precision godly gear and having really great sets in order to progress now you have to dismantle your set and good gear and equip crappy low end rift gear and then struggle all over again on the same maps we are already tired of grinding.  There is nothing more frustrating that looking at your combined stats with your godly set and then putting on mediocre rift gear hoping the set bonus will get you over the next hump.  It is not a forward progression that feels good.  It's a frustrating leap backwards that makes everything you've done feel pointless.

Gear not compatible  -  IMO it is  a horrible mistake to not allow Godly and rift pieces to combine for set bonuses.  It should not be an all or nothing thing since every rift piece is a considerable step backwards in your overall stats. It should be a progression.  So if you have say a good ancient set of Godly gear and you get a good ancient Rift Chest piece you get 1/4 of the rift bonus but continue to have the "set" bonus.  Or possibly a decreased set bonus but a percentage of the rift bonus increases with each set piece of rift gear you add to your set.  The idea that an ancient rift piece negates your set bonus when all the pieces are ancient is nonsense and frustrating. 

We need content, not revamping gear  -  I've been revisiting the "DD1 redux" gamemode and have been absolutely loving so many things about the original that are missing from DDA.  Yes DDA has implemented many improvements visually and in game play, but there is so much more emphasis on content that keeps the game moving forward.  More maps, modes, pets, accessories, crafting stations, coal, gems, etc. etc. etc.   We need content not continual re imagining of how gear works that keeps undermining the grinding we've already done.

Multiplayer scales badly  -   The difficulty when adding players into survival ramps up so much it's impossible to play as a team unless everyone has insanely good gear.  I love helping my kids or playing with friends but maps I can solo as soon as they join the defense fails, even if they are helping with gems or dps.  Multi scaling is way off and gets insanely difficult going from solo to even dual.

I'm still loving DDA and will keep grinding, but I really hope the devs make some serious changes to Rift and then start focusing on "CONTENT".  Gear sets and rift pieces should be compatible.  Rift drops should not be limited to specific maps and specific waves, it destroys the joy of grinding.  I HATE certain maps and despise that I am being forced to play them and feel that 99% of the waves I play are pointless. 

Edited by pressdelight
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, pressdelight said:

Farming feels pointless  -   A huge part of farming any map was the exciting possibility of a useful drop on any wave.  Narrowing Useful drops to only specific maps on specific waves means that 99% of game play is overwhelmingly pointless with no hope of a lucky rare drop that can make any wave have good possibilities.

Although I do agree with the general sentiment, this allows for targeted farming, which I'm all for it. That would be perfect if there is another way to get fusion gears, so that way we can still have higher fusion gear drops, but if we want we can still target farm missing pieces. 

Rift Gear makes Godly gear pointless   -   Playing any map and getting a good godly piece feels like a drag.  What should have been an exciting moment of maybe getting the odd improvement on your Godly gear feels like "oh well I'll sell it because it's not rift".

Agreed. Although non fusion builders are still useful if you play solo (since you can only have 4 fusion builders), non fusion pieces are mostly useless, and that indeed makes regular farming like we used to do pre 1.2 and in DD1 kinda pointless. A solution would be to make a way to turn regular gear into fusion gears. 

We need content, not revamping gear  -  I've been revisiting the "DD1 redux" gamemode and have been absolutely loving so many things about the original that are missing from DDA.  Yes DDA has implemented many improvements visually and in game play, but there is so much more emphasis on content that keeps the game moving forward.  More maps, modes, pets, accessories, crafting stations, coal, gems, etc. etc. etc.   We need content not continual re imagining of how gear works that keeps undermining the grinding we've already done.

More content is probably going to come after the console releases. I'm presuming a lot of CG's resources are currently focused on the console port. But yeah, I do agree we do need more content to keep the game alive until then. 

Multiplayer scales badly  -   The difficulty when adding players into survival ramps up so much it's impossible to play as a team unless everyone has insanely good gear.  I love helping my kids or playing with friends but maps I can solo as soon as they join the defense fails, even if they are helping with gems or dps.  Multi scaling is way off and gets insanely difficult going from solo to even dual.

I think this has been brought up many times, and CG did say they are looking into it. Hopefully we'll get better scaling in the next big update. 

Im rather torn over Rift Mode and I really want to like it. The challenge it presents can be interesting but loot implementation leaves allot to be desired. I am also at a loss where Rift mode lies in the current progression for new players. In DD2 you could go easily between onslaught and chaos tiers yet rift mode progression wise seems more of a one or the other thing. Until perhaps Massacre Fusion gear is only helpful in Rift mode and regular gear is a little obsolete in Rift mode. I have felt Rift mode would do better in its own separate area perhaps like survival, pure strategy and mixed mode. It is at least in theory optional but looks like its supposed to be part of the current progression curve throughout the players experience. I struggle to see exactly at what point a new player is supposed to play in rift mode, when they would go between it and other modes etc.

Targetted loot was kind of missing from the game outwith a few pets and boss weapons many maps were largely ignored by the playerbase, so I understand why they made the choice they did. I just feel they perhaps missed an opportunity here. Challenges by and large are totally ignored in DDA, in DD1 I remember doing specific challenges for the rewards like Volcanic Eruption for BF Drill. Putting some of the rewards behind wave 25 seems a little weird to me - if I can get to wave 25 without said gear then why do I need the gear?? Sure it makes the next run easier but still seems rather counter intuitive. Perhaps having challenges give a decent fusion reward guaranteed it would make a little more sense and give us a reason to actually do the challenges.

I am also a little annoyed by the whole hero in deck thing, why have us farm a set for each defence we wish to use for the fusion effect then make use choose 3 or 4. It only furthers the usefulness of certain towers and makes others even more obselete. I can understand having every defence with its fusion effect could be overpowered but was this really the best way to implement restrictions? It makes me as a 90% solo player just not want to play. I feel like I am at a major disadvantage and being forced to play with others when I simply dont want to. I get that some people want other players in their sessions to build or to be allowed to build when not the host. I am just not sure if this is the best way to do so. If there was some raid boss or something it might make more sense "to have to team up", but just to do the grind for loot??? I could see an argument for perhaps reducing DU in rift mode or increasing DU of fusion defences to help balance the game allot more than the hero deck thing. 

Some of the rifted enemies and defences seem to lack diversity and dont really add much. Other than rifted Ogres and Dark Elf warriors do we even notice rifted enemies? How many defences just add extra damage from fusion defences? How about something allot more like those spheres in DD2 beta where the actual function of the tower changed like flameburst to flamethrower? if the towers changed in some way they could serve a purpose outwith rifted mode and not feel so locked into rifted(other than massacre where some argument may remain). Even just changing how they target enemies could give value to using a fusion defence other than a regular version. 

In all I just want rifted mode to feel more connected to the rest of the game than it does now. I want it to serve a purpose everywhere it is implemented from Easy campaign to Massacre survivals.

• Like 1

Some very Good points I agree with @dizzydiana.  I totally agree.  I want to like a lot more than I actually do haha. 

To me still the biggest flop is the fact that you have to take a huge step backwards and discard those high end Godly sets you worked so hard for in pre Rift update.  You have to stop farming Massacre and go back to farming NM and incrementally work your way back up on all the same maps.  Honestly we all just did that and it's not cool to force us to do it again and then lose the value of our gear.

I like @MushroomCake28 the idea you made about possibly upgrading sets to rift.  One expansion of that idea would be that any rift gear you farm you can break down at a rift crystal forge and you get rift crystal.  The value of the rift piece determines how much rift crystal you get from breaking it down.  Then you can use those rift crystals to upgrade a piece of Regular gear to rift.  Would give us some purpose and use to all the random useless rift gear we collect rather than selling it.

I think rift should have been a concept that added to progression, not generate a new path of development.  I have played the game with new players who are completely skipping all the normal gear and farming rift so it's not like they added depth or longevity even to the new players.  It just feels like a "Thing" added to the game.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what new updates and balances bring.  I do hope that rift crafting becomes a thing down the road.  Wont save me the headaches, but for new players it will be a huge plus.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion.  I've just recently finished Massacre campaign and I'm able to do Glitterhelm MHC Survival.  As I contemplated Rift mode, it just didn't grab me.  Part of it is the gear organization, honestly.  Not having folders like DD1 means I'd have to take off my nice Godly sets and chuck them back into the huge pile of gear so I could put on lower rift gear.  Or I need to level up all new heroes just for Rift.  Either way, it's just not motivating at all.  So for now I'm just going to keep grinding out survivals in MHC to get upgrades.  I'm hoping that Rift will be an optional branch and not a required path to the future end game.  I really don't have a problem with a limited number of maps being the top tier maps.  I mean all maps aren't created equal.  As long as it's not just one map that rules over all the others, I'm fine.

Edited by russman

I personally think that instead of coming out with new modes and new items and new skins and new enemies the devs should come out with the switch version they promised us a year ago.

15 hours ago, HoggalyWoggaly said:

I personally think that instead of coming out with new modes and new items and new skins and new enemies the devs should come out with the switch version they promised us a year ago.

Given that they changed focus to Xbox, the Switch release doesn't look like it'll be here anytime soon

21 hours ago, HoggalyWoggaly said:

True dat!

My initial purchase was the 4 licenses from kickstart and we got 1 of them as the switch version.  After waiting far too long I asked customer support to give us another pc key since we had been waiting so long and they switched my code to pc.  Doesn't do much good for people who need or want the switch version, but something to do if you have another player in the house who could actually be using the extra account.