News on the future of DD2 (Now a recap thread on upcoming news)

It's that time again - CG has teased another tower! And by the looks of it, this new hero might be more than just a beast keeper/master...

Also, looks like CG is going to put more teasers everyday for this week until this upcoming Friday Funday stream where they might possibly and finally unveil the new hero! (It was mentioned on the last Friday Funday stream for those who are curious.)

325226658_NewDD2HeroTower20212.png.65f8a124e0e79b800a13aa567be00e53.png

• Like 1

And we have our final tower reveal! With the cannon being the very odd one out, I'm beginning to suspect that it is some sort of anchor now....

847834987_NewDD2HeroTower20214.png.199bc3894c2fdec6affc0b7a6af79142.png

As for tomorrow's stream, I'll definitely be covering that for those who doesn't watch the stream!

• Like 1

Whew! I apologize for the lateness but here's a pseudo-recap of the recent dev stream! 

General stuffs - 

1. Once the update rolls out, Axes can now roll light or Heavy too instead of being fixed to medium!

2. Ice Chip mod in Drakenfrost Weapons will no longer be locked mods so you can now tinker them to other weapons.

3. Orc Blockades now deals area effect damage.

4. New Pets! There are several but two new pets has been showcased on stream - A Dino pet (found in the lost dungeon), its ability resets ability cooldown. And a Haunted Ship pet, it's ability fires a giant tidal wave that deals 3000% weapon damage as water damage and drenching enemies too. Some pets can be purchasable through the colonel's pet shop.

5. New flair sets - The Tundraken set, based on the Drakin Skeleton, the frost drakin.

6. The halloween tavern/hub is back, there might be something to do with trick-or-treating there... Also the season's timing will be more thematic, meaning there won't be a repeat of having the christmas hub going all the way to march (or the entire 2020 for that matter haha)

8. SEVEN new costumes. They will be following two themes : The Undead theme - Cursed Lord of the Desert (Abyss Lord), Zombiemancer (Lavamancer), & Forbidden Magic Apprentice (Day of the Dead/Voodoo themed Apprentice) and Gods & Lords theme - The Snake God's Vesment? (Mayan-themed Mystic), Bone Dragon's Battle Gear (Dryad), & Firelord (Adept). The costumes can be bought individually (800 gems each) or in two themed bundles (2,200 gems each). And a new costumes for the upcoming new hero too!

9. The Flameburst Tower is back! That will replace the Flamethrower tower for Adept's tower kit to make the gender-swap heroes stand out more. There will also be a shard that have the projectiles gain more damage the further it travels.

New Hero - The Mercenary! - 

An elite elven soldier turned rogue who has travelled around the lands making contracts with like-minded individuals gaining interesting arsenals. Dual wields daggers. And Double Jumps too!

Primary Attack - Melee attacks similar to the Barbarian. There will be a weapon shard called Backstab that lets the Mercenary deal increase damage to enemies when attacked from behind (with primary attacks).

Secondary Attack - Sweep: similar to Barbarian's Leap. There will be a boot shard called Binding Roots that lets you root/stun enemies when they are affect by Sweep.

Ability Resource - Blue Ability Mana.

First Ability - Phantom Belt: shoots out daggers all around the Mercenary himself. Uses 30 Blue mana.

Second Ability - Dagger Throw: Throw a line of dagger that deals poison damage over time. Also pierces. Uses 50 Blue mana. There will be a glove shard called explosive blades that changes the daggers from piercing to attaching on enemies and eventually detonating like a grenade attack.

Third Ability - Combat Preparation: increased movement speed and damage for a time. Uses 100 Blue mana.

Fourth Ability - Sweeping Strikes: do a mid-range fly through enemies dealing massive damage. Uses 150 Blue mana. Also procs the Binding Roots shard (I think)

First Tower - Royal Guard Blockade: Orcs from a secret orc society. Uses 30 Green mana/DU. They will also be a shard called Earthen Guard that lets the Orc to have a chance to unleash a very long range earth fissure with their shields dealing earth damage. 

Second Tower - Nether Spider Spawner: A crystal that spawns spiders that charges to enemies and detonates, dealing physical damage. Very similar to Dryad Slime Pit or The Warden's Shroomies from DDA. Counts as Trap. Uses 40 Green mana/DU. There will be a shard called Icy Spiders that lets the spiders have a chance to spawn a pool of ice that slows enemies down when they detonate.

Third Tower - Nether Archers: Projectiles will bounces/ricochets off enemies twice. Uses 50 Green mana/DU. There will be a shard called Ghost Arrows that allow the archers projectiles to bounce up to an additional four enemies.

Fourth Tower - Elvish Artillery Cannon: Fires a giant ball of energy that deals large AoE storm damage. A defense from his elven soldiering days. Uses 60 Green Mana/DU

There's also a Unique Hero Passive - Predatory Instinct: Gives the Mercenary 50% Tenancy (Or is it Tenacity?) and passive Healing. For those who are wondering about why the Mercenary doesn't have a healing ability.

There will be more new shards and even mods for the Mercenary. And CG also plans to post a trailer and a detailed post around next week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why a new barrier was introduced,  as all barriers are completely broken and haven't been a part of builds in YEARS. I mean if the update came with massive barrier buffs and some AI tweeks, I'd be all for dusting off all my barriers.  However in the current state of the game this feels like wasted programer time on an instantly obsolete tower. Looks cool tho. 

I'm also a little taken back by the inclusion of the leap skill, as that is completely taken from the Barb, and it's a skill i neither like nor ever use much in actual combat.  In a game where we need to defend a spot,  and not die getting there, leaping only makes those tasks harder IMO. Wish they gave Barb double jump instead (or a regular jump that can actually reach anything). 

I am SUPER stoked for a new unit and 3 potentially viable new defs tho. Looks to be a real solid addition.  

• Like 1

I suspect the Mercenary is something that has been in the pipeworks for a long time, CG is just finishing those so that's probably why that barrier got in instead of something different. The Royal Guard Blockade has the potential to do something cool with its attacks, but yeah I definitely agree in it's current state, they're not that different compared to other walls. I heard blockades are very useful in the current C8 Mastery (when you use the Juggernaut Hyper Shard). Maybe that's still pretty situational. Can't say much yet unfortunately as I haven't attempted C8 mastery yet.

Totally agreed with the leap, I rarely use that in actual combat too. I'd definitely be down for the Barb to at least have a higher jump. If he can leap, I don't there would be a problem with a little extra height in jump. A boot shard would be nice.

Well, I suppose things will always have the odd ones out haha. Still yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the Mercenary! I still kinda somehow want to make the Royal Guard Blockade work even though it's most likely a doomed attempt haha. The Nether Spider Spawner also looks fun to mess around too, I haven't fully used it for real but I want to give that a full try later!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The most recent Chromatic Friday Funday Stream is provided us with a preview of the upcoming Winterfest update for DD2! Here's a pseudo recap of what's coming up! I haven't been able watch the stream live due to my sleeping schedule but there's still the vod!

1. The winter hub is back! Along with the infamous and awesome Christmas Tree! The timing of this season won't be like 2020 though haha.

2. New Holiday Flairs! - A Spinning Snowflake wing flair, A Candy Cane Wing flair and a Krampus-themed flair set! These same flairs will be available in DDA too.

3. Four new Dragolich variants! Jolly Santolich, Frostbite Santolich, Krampuslich and Nightmare Krampuslich. The first three variants can be found in Whimsical Presents of the Christmas Tree with the Krampuslich being a rare pull. The Nightmare Krampuslich can be found in C8 and will be a very rare chest drop. The pets will be dealing water damage due to them firing snowballs.

4. Pet targeting is also changed to always target whichever enemy is the closest.

5. New shard! - The first Chaos 9 shard - Bunny Hop! This shard will enable all single-jump heroes to be able to Double Jump now! A guaranteed shard from the Christmas Tree Present! This shard also come with a hint about DD2 next big content update in 2022 too!

6. The Initiate's Flame Aura will be replaced with a new tower - the Water Aura!

7. The DD2 client will be upgraded to 64-bit for PC (Consoles is already 64-bit.) This is to prevent frequent crashes for PC. There will be a survey for this coming up too. But most importantly, no more crashing for Phil haha! 

8. The update will be dropping before CG's two week Holiday Break which starts around the 20th.

And yeah here's the stream if you want the verification, you can skip to 45:00 if you want to directly start at the preview.

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.  What does "corrupted " gear and pets mean? How do you acquire them?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

I have a question.  What does "corrupted " gear and pets mean? How do you acquire them?

As far as I know, the "corrupted" gears and pets are just a specific variant of certain weapons and a pet. 

For the weapons, the corrupted weapons carries unique (and unlocked) M.O.D.S. only obtainable in the Wild West region. The concept of this is very similar to the Pirate M.O.D.S. found in pirate weapons that drops in the High Seas region. However, unlike the pirate weapons, the corrupted weapons aren't exactly and completely new weapons, they are an interesting recoloring of three Halloween weapons dropped by the Skeleton Heroes (in Dawn of the Blood Moon) and one Prime Incursion weapon. As for where these weapons can be acquired, they have a chance to be dropped from victory chest only in The Wildest West map.

XtjpMrd.png

As for the pet, Corrupted Jackalope is just a purple variant of the Jackalope pet. The concepts is similar to a pet and its def medal counterpart (I.e. Bearkira and Unbound Beakira). Both version's eggs have a chance to be dropped from victory chest in the Wild West region. Also, very similar to the Premium Gato and Creeper pets, the rarity that the Jackalope pets would be in when hatched is random.

TFAPyDZ.png

Hope this helps! And also have a Merry Chrismas and Happy Holidays to you Jaws! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You are awesome!  Appreciate the info. Happy New Year's!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i never left this place, always lurking, always watching, always hoping...

Now ive heard the countess is finally coming to DD2? My god i might pick up the game again! O.O

Been waiting for her since they announce the first gender swap hero, but then stopped at the first 2 for ... well, years it feels, im terrible with time, it might actually be years, im too excited to look it up XD

• Like 1

And the crazy thing is that this time, The Countess went waaay beyond what's expected of a regular gender swap hero!

Also, I've been playing DD1 recently and decided main the Countess for a short time which gives me a nice experience of the hero. A really fun hero to DPS around especially with Joust. Having those cool elements along with new stuffs being incorporated in her DD2 incarnation is nothing short of pure awesomeness!  

• Like 1

ive always mained her on DD1, for numerous reasons, and when DD2 came out, i just counted the days until the alt genders came out, lost hope for a while but never stopped checking in. Now that she's finally here, god im excited, and yeah it looks like they went the extra mile with her too, which ... im a lil worried for, but from what lil i saw, which is just her skills, it does seem like she's been done justice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also think they either said or mentioned something about not allowing cross saving from PC to the other platforms for a short period after the consoles get their release so they have a chance to get their progression without PC players ruining it but once they do allow that the PC count will probably plummet in DDA.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

So yeah, a wild DD2 update preview stream has appeared and since there's no preview news post in the forums, I'll put out a pseudo recap.

1. Initiate hero changes

When you think the Water Aura is crazy enough, this update gives the Initiate tower kit even more! 

• Fireworks Tower - Replaces the Boost Aura slot but it's more of a replacement of the Skyguard Tower. This tower will fire multiple rockets at once which detonates at target in a spectacular fashion.
  • Chi Spirit Tower - Replaces the SGT slot. A spectral version of the Initiate that fires piercing chi waves that cripples enemies, increasing any damage they take. Sounds like a great support tower! There is a new shard called Spirit Charge that increases the damage and projectile size dealt by the tower.
  • Frost Strike Aura - A frost version of the Lightning Strikes Aura. 

2. Adept hero changes

What? You thought it was just the Initiate? The Adept is getting the same treatment too!

• Tesla Coil Tower - Replaces the Arcane Barrier slot. A successor to the Lighting Tower from DD1/DDA. Deals incredible chain lighting damage. Chain Lightning! There will be a new mod called Ramping Voltage that deals more damage the longer the tower is striking enemies. The damage increase will reset after not attacking for 5 seconds.
  • Crystal Hammer Tower - Replacement for Earthshatter Tower. Creates a fissure line of damage of crystal shards with each slam. Similar to how the Harbinger's ground fist slams or The Colossus fissure slam with direct command works. There is a shard called Grand Fissure that increases that fissure width and damage dealt by the tower. Towers doesn't do knockups.

3. Mystic hero changes

Appeasement is getting a rework. The Appeasement bar now have tiers. As they get filled up, the Mystic gains additional powers. At every 25%, she'll get a new bonus that stacks with previous bonuses.

• At 1% or above, the Mystic gets additional stats.
  • At 25% or more, the Mystic gets lifesteal with basic attacks.
  • At 50% or more, the Mystic's basic attacks have lower cooldowns meaning you can attack faster.
  • At 100%, the Mystic will deal AoE damage at every second or so.

Lash Out get an increase to damage.

Call to Madness gets a target limit and more number related changes. Though generally, it'll be best to check out the patch notes to understand the full extension of the change as it sounds to be very detailed that there isn't enough time to cover it .

Serpent's Coil is now a fully fledged defense. There no limit to how many can be placed aside from DU. The tower also have collisions which allows them to be attacked by enemies and they also can be upgraded like other Mystic defenses. There will an ascension tower health talent pool added for the tower too. Snake Zealot chips will also be reworked to become a Serpent Avatar. The avatar will do more damage when max appeasement is achieved.

Sand Viper now fires three beams as default.

There's way more changes including Obelisk upgrade changes and more, the upcoming patch notes will reveal them.

4. EV2 hero changes

EV2 now double jumps without needing the Bunny Hop shard. In addition to that, the EV2 will also be able to use the hover mode from Death From Above after jumping, similar to how the Gunwitch's broom or the Dryad's flying works. 

Death from Above is now reworked into Holographic Decoy. Since the hover is now ingrained with her jump ability, using the Decoy will just launch you backward like her counterpart from DDA or the Gunwitch's vault. I have been wanting this change since playing the EV-A in DDA!

Anti-Grav Bots now homes toward any nearby enemies. Will be stationary if there is none nearby.

5. Lavamancer hero changes

Secondary attacks now charges right through enemies instead of clunkily stopping at the first enemy. 

Hardened and Inflamed are now combined into one ability. There will also shard reworks for ones like Tectonic Breaker for the combined abilities that can deals armor stats as earth damage and hero damage as fire damage every third primary attack.

6. New Costumes

There will be four new costumes coming in this upcoming update and most of them are pretty thematic with where we're going... You can also check how they looked if you head over to CG's Twitter page.

Clockwork Squire - A very Steampunk-ish/Sky City type armor-styled costume. The eyes does glow and lights up ahead!

Wind Guardian Lavamancer - A nomad-cladded Lavamancer wearing a vulture's skull as a mask.

Scarab Lord - A dark lord-themed Abyss Lord costume wearing a mask with antennas poking out if his hood (or a Nether Spider growing out of his face as fellow defender Vengeance from Discord put it haha). Visually related to a new enemy from this update...

Marauder Apprentice - An Arabic/Moraggo themed Apprentice. Turbans, teapots and all that jazz.

7. New Region - Tornado Valley

That's right! We're going to Tornado Valley! After being introduced in DDA, this location is going to be in DD2! There will be two new maps in this region rewarding a new set of weapons and M.O.D.S.. The maps' victory chests will drop talismans materials as another option to farm if you don't want to grind in the High Seas. Both maps will also feature a new type of enemies. 

1st map. Tornado Canyon - This is DD2's version of DDA's Tornado Valley map. The map is much more decorated and weathered here. With unique bell mechanics and Four Sub-Objectives... Similarly to Drakenfrost Keep, Wildest West or Embermount Volcano. this map will have six waves. 

2nd Map. Tornado Highlands - This will be DD2's version of DDA's Tornado Highlands map. This map isn't showcased in the stream but there will be a major boss fight....

8. New Enemies

The new Tornado Valley region will feature new enemies exclusive to the region. 

Wind Shaper - a tanky enemy that'll shoot piercing tornadoes at players from a distance. The tornadoes will be able to knock players up. There might be a miniboss variant called "Cyclone Shaper" that will appear in other modes.

Tornado Forger - the 6th wave boss version of the Wind Shaper. In regular C9 expeditions, its health can go up to 1.4 billion health....

And....

The return of the Genie King! - The unique and major boss fight of Tornado Highlands! It is currently unknown whether the boss will be a copy of his DD1 incarnation or something new like the DD2's Demon Lord. We'll only know when the update drops. 

9. New M.O.D.S.

There's like 8 new mods in total but CG Philip revealed 3 of them. There was to be a demo for some of the mods but the Corgi stole Philip's mods, unfortunately. Sadge.

• Canyon Bells - Upon an enemy's death, there will be chance to spawn a bell that deals a percentage of Ability Power as (possibly AoE) damage to nearby enemies every seconds for three seconds. The effect also stuns them for about a couple seconds.
  • Sandstorm - Generates a sandstorm around your hero dealing a percentage of your hero damage as constant earth damage to all nearby enemy.
  • Blinding Sands - Has a (15% or 50%?) chance to spawn a ball of sand. On impact, it will deal a percentage of your hero damage as earth damage to enemies, slowing them and their attack speed down.

10. New pet

Genie Prince - Obtained after the Genie King's boss fight. Pet attack projectiles will be laser beams fired from his eyes. His unique ability will restore ability mana. Pretty useful for AP heroes in a pinch! CG also teases that there is another version of the pet that can be acquired....

11. Update ETA?

Surpisingly, the update will drop sometime next week! No solid date yet, but next week is the goal! 

So yeah that's about it. I'll post the VOD to the stream below for anyone to watch if they're curious enough. But yeah, I hope this recap gives enough of an idea of what this update is going to bring to DD2. They're really good stuffs!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Heard that you want to hear some more beans, so yeah, thought I'd gather and jolt them down here for you, @ColobelSpike82 *thumbs_up* (And also @MrPeterPFL too, thought I'd ping you up since you lurk on Discord here and there, which could mean that you may not have gotten the news and just in-case you'd like to know about this too)

The beans comes from what IDHC has spilled on discord or CG on Twitter if any of you are curious where they came from. What I'm jolting down may not reflect all the beans as I may not have seen them all.

Coming soon - December

There will be an update next month but it will not be the major update that is Mines of Etheria. This update will mostly include the Christmas event and cool QoLs.

• 1) The Xmas Dragoliches will not return as to preserve their value within the Market. There might be something new in their place.
  • 2) For the first time since 2015, the Humbug Holiday costumes will return to availability again for Christmas.
  • 3) Material Vault UI revamp. Instead of visually cramming everything into a "box", it's done in a way where it'll be like a page where you can scroll up and down, bringing the potential to add more thing such as Pet related materials in the future for example. (Image - C10 Material not included)
  • 4) Flair category changes. The head slot will be separated into two slots now - "Face" and "Head". Meaning you can do something like this now- Image (There's a possibility that this feature may be pushed to Mines of Etheria instead of this one)
  • 5) A new Black Market Gold flair. This time it will be a ground flair.
  • 6) Daily and Weekly Mission revamp. More regions such as Wild West, Tornado Valley, High Seas, Drakenfrost etc will be added to the dailies roster (basically all regions will be included). In addition to those, there will also be at least 4 new daily missions that involves defeating a certain amount of enemies such as Goblins or Dark Mages etc.
  • As for Weeklies, all the current missions will be replaced with harder versions or new variants that will take more effort to complete. Examples will be "Win 20 maps without losing the Sub-Objectives" or "Loot 100 Legendary Items". Completing them will award you about 1,200 to 1,500 Defender Medals.
  • The Missions page will also get a visual change for the UI to be more in-line with the current style. Here's how they would look when the change arrives - Image (You might see some the old weekly mission in the image as at the time things are still in development)
  • 7) A questline dedicated toward new players which will award a Destruction, Defense Rate and Deadly Strikes shard when completed. Though every player will also get one when this drops.

Mines of Etheria

Mines of Etheria is still in development so it's not going to be that soon but here are some delicious beans - 

Chaos 10 roster

What's included:

• Most common enemies and minibosses
  • Vanguards, Cyborks, Berserkers, Hex Throwers
  • Frost Enemies
  • The 3 C10 exclusive enemies, collectively codenamed as the "War Party". One of them will be a goblin in Berserker colors wearing a moderately-sized Kobold dynamite stick as a backpack.

What won't be Included:

Witherbeasts, Dark Mages, Geodes, Dark Assassins, EMP Kobolts, Death Weavers and Elder Wyverns.

Hidden Caverns maps.

The maps for the Hidden Caverns region - Crystal Mines and Lava Caverns will be familiar to those who've played DDA as both of these maps are the original versions of Ancient Mines and Lava Mines respectively before they were altered and used for DDA. As CG at the time had no plans on continuing updating DD2 back then, most unused DD2 content are pretty much fair game to them.

That said, while there's shared history between these map, the DD2 versions will be extremely different from their DDA counterparts as IDHC mentions that there will be interior sections for the upcoming version.

New Hero - The Engineer

FfnIa6VUUAYApjI?format=jpg&name=medium

IMG_0941.jpg

(1st Image on Twitter, 2nd Image from Discord)

So yeah, the Man and Machine is finally arriving in DD2 after so many years! Now in a new proper name as The Engineer!

Here's what spilled about The Engineer -

• This hero will have defenses.
  • Weapon of choice will be Canisters, like Series EV2.
  • However, in a reverse twist from EV2, heating up is good thing for the Engineer.
  • Will have an interesting secondary attack.
  • Will have some very unique aspects to the Hero, though what they're going to be isn't specified

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, that's about it for the beans! There might be some that I've missed but hey I suppose they will all be revealed in due time anyway. 

Anyway, cheers!