Paloverde zfogshooterz

A news on the possible future of DD2 (Holy Smokes)

Posted (edited)

As we all currently know, DD2 is in a limbo state. Neither dead nor having upcoming content. Pretty much on ice (literally - with an all year winter). And we have no idea how long it'll last, it could even be years. All we had are pretty much glimmer of hopes.

But holy smokes, the glimmer has gone brighter! Recently on the last Dev Juice (A second Chromatic Games stream other than the current Friday Funday), Chromatic CEO Augi reveals a very cool surprise - Possibly by around next year (2021), CG plans on forming a separate team to focus continuing on developing DD2 alongside DDA. 

Might want to keep in mind that the team would be smaller than DDA's and also. to not set a hard expectation on this too. If this plan goes smoothly and successfully, that would be really awesome! But of course, there's also a chance of stuffs going wrong which might result in the possibility of plans changing

Here's a video by Juicebags (which also includes the clip from the Dev Juice) for references

With Augi and CG expecting the DD2 community to "fold and die" when they moved to DDA (which kinda had me surprised), it kinda made sense (at least to me) of several things:

• The scope and quality of content of DD2 2019 was just meant to keep players busy while they wait on the development of DDA. What CG Kyled mentioned on reddit that CG has no plans for content on DD2 later after that also now made sense.
  • With the radio silence on DD2 after Prime Incursions and also after X-mas '19 which began the true limbo, it does seem that CG began to put all their eggs in one basket which is DDA. We don't really know why back then but now it makes sense.

But hey, we're not dead, we're still kicking! Discord's still active, video guides is still being done on youtube, people do ask questions on reddit and there are players still playing DD2 which enables CG to eventually decide to cook this plan of continuing development up.

Overall, I'm really glad and grateful too that CG is planning to move away from solely focusing on DDA and start focusing on both games. If all goes according to plan, (while I don't expect the future eras to be the return of DD2 2016, 2017 or 2018 etc), I do hope that it'll be much much more than what we had in 2019. 

So yeah, just bringing this news to the forums and looking forward to what the future era brings!

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hallilughya! or however you spell that word! So glad the game isnt COMPLETELY and utterly abandoned. Lets hope all goes well and they can get that team on DD2 again! :D

• Like 1

That is great news, and a really well done post. Thank you! Glad to have hope... I'm still playing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure the intention is to just get us older players to log back in and spend money to recover the cost of the failed DD:A and help them move forward with DD3.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in spending resources on a dying game unless you expect a profitable return.

Edited by Little Magic Hat

2 hours ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Pretty sure the intention is to just get us older players to log back in and spend money to recover the cost of the failed DD:A and help them move forward with DD3.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in spending resources on a dying game unless you expect a profitable return.

While I am suspicious of this for many reasons that aren't making sense, saying DD2 is a dying game means DDA is also in the same boat. Multiple times through DDA's very short lifespan of many updates it has fallen below DD2 and once was below DD1 in concurrent player count and it stayed that way for a while each time, so in that respect an update for DD2 would be good because it doesn't bottom out as low as DDA. Keep in mind that player count is PC only, so including the console players in that count means DD2 is doing far better than DDA right now and the previous times DDA was below DD2.

I also think they either said or mentioned something about not allowing cross saving from PC to the other platforms for a short period after the consoles get their release so they have a chance to get their progression without PC players ruining it but once they do allow that the PC count will probably plummet in DDA.

tl;dr - Im suspicious of this move Augi made, but if DD2 is in a dying state then DDA is as well

• Like 3

On 10/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, Exglint said:

tl;dr - Im suspicious of this move Augi made, but if DD2 is in a dying state then DDA is as well

Agreed and why I said failed - its player numbers are the same as DD2's steam numbers and dropping. Unlike DD2, it doesn't have microtransactions to give it any sustainability and it's far too immature for them to expect people to pay for DLC.

Edited by Little Magic Hat

Sadly, all this was is a fart in the wind... Would have been nice to see them add more content to this game considering the number of new players it seems to pull in.

• Like 1

Sadly indeed, welp...as recent as the good news is, I'll have to apologize for the bad news...

In a most recent CG stream (which happened to have Augi in it), a question regarding the potentially upcoming DD2 dev team in 2021 was asked and the response was :

"We're looking into it but no concrete plans" - Basically just looking into the possibility on forming one.

Now of course, there's still a chance (albeit it has now shrunk down considerably) CG would still form that team (which is something at the very least). But with that response it feels like that CG never had that plan in the first place, instead rather it's more like an idea that popped in their heads which may or may not happen.

Aside from that very small chance, we're pretty much back to the friggin' "drawing board" before this news came out...

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 1

I really hope that something comes of this, I bought in as soon as I could for this game because I loved the original so much, they even had a crossover with another favorite of mine Terraria.

It's in a sad state right now and I really hope they breathe new life into it, I want a reason to play again.

• Like 1