Sign in to follow this  
VenatusXM

Some thoughts

I originally started writing this as a response to Lemonys post asking about end game content, and it turned into a bunch of thoughts about Siren, and other content or lack there of.

I have 450+ hours in this game. I say this because I feel that that (the hours) shows my love, and support for the game. I've been playing since beta, so the hours have just accrued. I still hop on every now and then to smash out some boss runs on MM Survival (I believe I have 35 some odd hours these last two weeks). But, beyond that I am definitely losing "steam" for the game. Here are some reasons for that, and I'll also tie it to Lemonys comment.

Now, - Late Level Difficulty and Gameplay:

The introduction of a new mob (The Siren) added an interesting mixup to the maps. It's (Siren) drops are fun to get, so basically a LOOT Pinata with a minimum quality gear drop, and shes a little tanky. The way in which the Siren passes on its element immunity is also fun and challenging, and it does take some learning...

And that's where we come at a stop. When you spend the time building your setups, to start it and get rushed by all Phys types, or Gas Sirens really add to the RNG aspect of the gameplay. Thats kind of where my first issue lies. The Sirens add a huge RNG aspect to the game. In most of my games everyone is running a Huntress with the Demon lord weapon, or a squire tank with robot. Do you the see the issue? (Everyones running phys!) The game lacks other interesting weapons that can be used in place of it, as it's just not worth it. Honestly, we will always see this kind of issue in this type of game, so you cant really complain or can you. Anyways the Steam robot does some insane damage, and while you can argue you could find comparable damage in the Dragon, it just doesn't get used as much due to the different attack style (range 3 projectiles vs melee - both are AOE.) This doesn't matter for the casuals, but those looking for the best damage it does.

If you have a good team that communicates and you coordinate heroes (2 huntress, 1 squire tank, 1 monk is a good setup.) Then you can mitigate some of (if not all) of that RNG aspect of the Sirens by being able to kill them. So good teamanship is important in Massacre. I actually feel like I contribute the entire match. If one of you goes down, it's not the end, but two? Now You have to kick it into overdrive and sweaty mode, not always but sometimes. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining here, especially since you can largely mitigate the Sirens damage by prioritizing them with good team effort. 

But there are so many other factors that weigh on me when I play. For starters, player owned shops are missing, We are still unable to drop items, or trade with other players. My custom skins wont stick if I go into multiplayer, and there is no split screen yet. I haven't even bothered activating my xbox key (hopefully that doesn't expire) because it lacks all of the aforementioned things. Its Still not out for consoles, and probably wont be for a while. Hopefully CG will have something to say? But I doubt it. Almost all of these are still under development and have been for a while. 

The roadmap is a joke and does not susbsitute a good ol written post from Mary or Philip, or any other CG qualified writer. Sure there is some important information on there, but some of the upvoted suggestions are a joke. "Moon Glow" under investigation, "Changes" is literally the name of another. I just... I do not think it's too hard to plop someone down for 5 minutes to write an update on this website.  Why do I have to use discord to get any info around here? Maybe I'm the only one with this opinion. 

With all of that said I still found the game to be enjoyable, and I will defiently stick around for those much needed updates, and I'll gladly fork over money for DLC if those features are added first, and not after. But you could say I loved DD1, and DDa has been an acceptable replacement. Since I started DDA I haven't put a single hour into DD1. Yes, I was still playing that in 2019 XD. The game is still young, so I have hope it'll be good. 

I guess my final thoughts will cover the experience rates. I felt that once I hit level 80+ the gains came to a pretty abrupt halt, but doing certain maps on survival helped a lot. It still took me a while, and I did not enjoy it. But once I hit level 90 on my toons I stopped caring about the rates, and the levels started to flow as I was able to farm Royal gardens and Alc lab MM (Promenade NMHC is good exp for those breaking into Massacre, yes I said Nightmare Hardcore promenade waves 20-25). From there the experience didn't even matter so I just passively collected it, but had I focused I could of leveled all my toons to 100 in no time. 

In conclusion I felt the grind from 1-80 was fine, but 80-90 was aweful if you weren't doing those maps consistently for the xp. 90-100 didn't matter for me as there's no higher leveled gear yet.)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, VenatusXM said:

The roadmap is a joke and does not susbsitute a good ol written post from Mary or Philip, or any other CG qualified writer. Sure there is some important information on there, but some of the upvoted suggestions are a joke. "Moon Glow" under investigation, "Changes" is literally the name of another. I just... I do not think it's too hard to plop someone down for 5 minutes to write an update on this website.  Why do I have to use discord to get any info around here? Maybe I'm the only one with this opinion. 

You are definitely not the only one with this opinion.  Personally, I like to see updates in Steam, since it's easy to access during the download.  Plus Steam's systems help promote recently updated titles.  So, if every update at least has a change log or something for Steam, I see no issues with copying it to the forums, preferably so it shows up under the NEWS section and not just the Patch Notes.

As far as CG responses to posts, I get that reading every posts to find ones that deserve responses can take a while.  IMO, Discord has this problem much worse, but that's not the point.  Assuming CG has someone expected to interact with the community, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new post to show up in the Dev Tracker every day or two.  Even without reading every post to decide what needs responding to, just opening a couple recently active topics should give at least one concern players have that can be responded with an explanation or generic "we're aware of this and working on it".

For topics you notice pop up a lot, maybe consider offering an actual progress report on it.  I get that the posts-in-the-forums person may not know the status of everything in development, but if you're constantly seeing users complaining about something like split-screen, maybe figure out where it's at in development and offer something a little more than the generic response.  That's not to say you have to read every post.  The bigger topics will have multiple posts, usually consistently staying towards the top of the recently active list.

• Like 2