Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
russman

Really enjoying DDA so far

Recommended Posts

DD1 is my favorite game of all time (although TradeWars 2002 is pretty close).  I played a ton of DD1.  I just couldn't get into DD2 (you can read my post history for my early battles on the DDA forums with hardcore DD2 players).  I was super excited that DDA was going to be a lot closer to DD1 than DD2.  But when beta came around, I played a few maps but just couldn't get into it for some reason.  Well shortly before the 1.1 drop came I finally decided that I need to give the game a real shot.  Everything had been wiped out since the beta but it really wasn't much so I created one of each hero type and started doing the campaign on Hard.  I've really enjoyed myself.  I beat all the campaign maps on Hard with Hardcore enabled.  I still don't really have a DPS hero so I would just run around and build harpoons with my builder squire to kill the bosses.  I then started to do non boss maps on Insane Hardcore and I started farming pets from Hard with Hardcore Survivals and then Insane with Hardcore Survivals on the first 3 maps.  I can't get past wave 19 or so on Insane Hardcore Survival but I'm leveling up my heroes and getting some legendary drops so I'm advancing slowly but surely.  Last night my squire finally hit level 60.  I'm really having a lot of fun.  For some reason I still prefer the look and feel of DD1 over DDA but DDA looks a lot better to me than DD2 did.  I do really miss split screen.  That was one thing that first drew me to DD1 was being able to play on my PC with my kids.  Hopefully that will be a thing soon.  Keep up the good work.  I can't wait for some DLC!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, russman said:

DD1 is my favorite game of all time. I played a ton of DD1. 

*Looks at my 1700 hours in DD1*

Same

20 hours ago, russman said:

I just couldn't get into DD2 (you can read my post history for my early battles on the DDA forums with hardcore DD2 players). 

I tried getting into DD2 as well, but I couldn't. Everything felt off about that game.

20 hours ago, russman said:

 I've really enjoyed myself.  I beat all the campaign maps on Hard with Hardcore enabled.  I still don't really have a DPS hero so I would just run around and build harpoons with my builder squire to kill the bosses.  I then started to do non boss maps on Insane Hardcore and I started farming pets from Hard with Hardcore Survivals and then Insane with Hardcore Survivals on the first 3 maps.  I can't get past wave 19 or so on Insane Hardcore Survival but I'm leveling up my heroes and getting some legendary drops so I'm advancing slowly but surely. Last night my squire finally hit level 60.

Good work on progression. Just you talking about this makes me want to pull out my alt account and start fresh. 

20 hours ago, russman said:

  I'm really having a lot of fun.  For some reason I still prefer the look and feel of DD1 over DDA but DDA looks a lot better to me than DD2 did. 

This game has been a blast. Had it's up and downs and is still growing. I'm definitely excited for more content. 

20 hours ago, russman said:

I do really miss split screen.  That was one thing that first drew me to DD1 was being able to play on my PC with my kids. 

I hope with some essential features (Player trading, Player owned shops, dropping items in tavern, and split screen etc.) We will see more players join in. I got this game to play with my Fiance and there were a lot of issues, luckily I went with a 4 copy bundle and she was able to play it on her on pc. We missed out on some big-screen couch-coop play time, which was unfortunate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD1 was great and I still played it recently. I may not have thousands of hours but I played it a good bit.
DD2 was good at 1 point in time, but since its changed so much and the mechanics and balance for the game has been changing frequently. Its hard to enjoy it for me. Doesnt feel right. On top of tall that, doesn't work well on UltraWide screens while DD1 and DDA run just fine.
DDA so far encompasses everything DD1 was and hopefully will do more than DD1 eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points @VenatusXM

Here are a few minor annoyances that I assume people have already reported to the devs (or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing):

1. Seeing what level my towers are at is a lot harder than in DD1.  It seems to be a white circle around the towers symbol.  I remember with DD1 being able to pretty easily tell which towers still needed to be upgraded.

2. Selecting which tower to upgrade/repair is painful.  Especially for aura stacks.  I miss the DD1 "E" key to toggle through the different towers.

3. Those annoying transition splash screens before you drop into a map or your tavern.  I know it's just one key press but it's annoying.

4. Things on the ground look kind of lame.  When I saw a pet on the ground in DD1, it looked really cool.  Now when a pet pops out of a chest it just..... well.... doesn't look cool at all.  Oh well.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, russman said:

Selecting which tower to upgrade/repair is painful.  Especially for aura stacks

For Auras, you can select them by looking at their icon rather than the actual defense.  This makes it much easier since the icons are at different heights and do not overlap, though it does make it seem like you need to look at the sky to upgrade some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, russman said:

Good points @VenatusXM

Here are a few minor annoyances that I assume people have already reported to the devs (or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing):

1. Seeing what level my towers are at is a lot harder than in DD1.  It seems to be a white circle around the towers symbol.  I remember with DD1 being able to pretty easily tell which towers still needed to be upgraded.

I completely agree with you. The visibility of the upgrading used to be a lot worse; with updates they made it more noticeable, but I still feel the white bars are underwhelming. I couldn't say what they should do for it, but the system in DD1 at least added a feeling of rank amongst each level., while still representing the power with each upgrade (Starting with the  rank 1 Chevron and going up to 3 golden stars.) I would want something to match the "modern" feel of DDA.

7 hours ago, russman said:

2. Selecting which tower to upgrade/repair is painful.  Especially for aura stacks.  I miss the DD1 "E" key to toggle through the different towers.

Repairing, Upgrading, and selecting auras or traps can be a huge pain. I mean 75% of the time I cant even see what's about to go down. Whether you blame that on the health bars not showing up when your looking in its direction (even if it's about to go down) or the minimaps hard-to-see visual changes of defense health is your choice, but so far those have been my personal experiences with it. Not to mention I have to "beg" my "T" key to send a signal through that DDA will accept, and change my POV. (In massacre mode auras can be drained quickly, and while you can stay on top of it, the aforementioned problems crop up that can lead to something "dieing" that could have easily been repaired. This isn't about skill, or focus, it's about seeing what's taking damage.  Let me strategize with the minimap. 

7 hours ago, russman said:

3. Those annoying transition splash screens before you drop into a map or your tavern.  I know it's just one key press but it's annoying.

Last I knew - there was an option in the settings to disable/skip cut scenes, although you will still get boss ones.

7 hours ago, russman said:

4. Things on the ground look kind of lame.  When I saw a pet on the ground in DD1, it looked really cool.  Now when a pet pops out of a chest it just..... well.... doesn't look cool at all.  Oh well.

 

 

I think the loot has gotten better looking visually, since the launch. But, Honestly my eye for detail is not the best, but I do enjoy some of the drops, especially the proton weapons. Hopefully with time the loot pool will grow, including more stylized loot and variety. In DD1 the CDT (community development team) hosted tons of fun events that gave everyone a chance at some cool gear (that also looked cool, I mean I want a Lava staff that glows bright red and yellow, and I want it to be viable, but not OP) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...