Sn/+/per

Deck Exp Changes

Posted (edited)

After playing a few games of NMHCMM earlier this evening, I found that exp is no longer divided between non-maxed heroes equally. Rather, we're now awarded 1/4th the map's exp per hero regardless whether we have other maxed/non-maxed heroes in our decks or not. I'm not sure why the change but I feel it really needs to go back to how it was. The exp grind was already slow before, especially if soloing but now it's just ridiculous that we can't focus more than a quarter of the map's exp onto specific heroes. What this means for split-screen (should it ever be a thing) is that we'll be earning exp per hero at 1/4th the rate as we did in DD1. Here are some screenshots of my exp soloing from waves 18 - 25 (with the first one being 19 - 25).

Exp with 1 non-maxed hero in the deck

20200820230256_1.jpg

Exp with 2 non-maxed heroes in the deck

20200820193130_1.jpg

Exp with 4 non-maxed heroes in the deck

20200821001740_1.jpg

Edited by Sn/+/per
Changed the location of the picture headers.

im pretty confident it was like this before, it would work the same way if you just took out 1-3 heroes from your deck. The exp you see at the end of the round is the exp all heroes in the deck have gotten, its not divided afterwards. So if you have 3 maxed Heroes your only going to see 1/4th of what youd see with no maxed heroes, because only 1 Hero is getting exp so your only going to see the overall exp of 1 hero vs 4 heroes at the end screen.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I never tested how much exp individual heroes got before when heroes were taken out of the deck because there was never a need. However, I did notice exp was divided equally among the non-maxed heroes when I had maxed heroes in my deck prior to the patch. Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to prove it even with my past screenshots of my match exp as it wouldn't show how many maxed/non-maxed heroes I had in my deck.

In any case, the exp shouldn't be divided the way it is. We should have some choice of how many heroes we want to level up at a time without having to trade-off our exp. This was never an issue in the first game. Isn't this is supposed to be the better game?

Edited by Sn/+/per
Added extra commentary.
  • Confused 1

Again, the exp you see on the final screen isnt exp your rewarded with at the end, its the overall exp all your characters have gotten throughout that map. You see your characters level up mid wave for example. So if you only have 1 character capable of gaining exp (3 other max heroes or 3 empty deck slots ), your only going to see the exp that 1 character has gained throughout the map at the end screen, which is going to be much less then 2-4 characters overall exp gained. Your still gaining the same exp for that 1 character, but the Exp at the end of the map is going to be lower. It was like this before 1.1 to so im not sure what you experienced before.

• Like 2

Notice: If you're going to ignore the issue to only attack my premise, don't bother posting. If you're going to argue my premise is false without proof, also don't bother posting. Whether I'm right or mistaken on how things were in this game is irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make - it's an unwelcome change that wasn't present in DD1, so why should it be this way in DDA?

If it means so much to the people reading this that my premise is false, I'll admit I'm mistaken but it doesn't change the issue I'm trying to point out. If you agree/disagree with the point, please comment; otherwise, I'll ignore you the same way you ignore me.

Im sorry you took this as an attack, It wasn't meant to be anything but an explanation to help you, and clear things up. The topic of people thinking Exp is rewarded at the end of maps, and then divided among characters has been talked about since early access DDA. And many others like you ( i thought the same thing too at first ) thought that Exp was being taken away from you when you only played with missing character slots or with other maxed characters. Which is totally fair to think since it seems that way. But its actually -  as an example lets say on a map that you see 80m Exp at the end of the map, and your using 4 non maxed characters. That map doesn't reward 80m exp, it Rewards 20m, and you have 4 characters that have earned that 20m exp. or if you only had 3 characters then those 3 characters would have earned the 20m exp that the map gives and you would see 60m at the end. So my point in all this is, No Exp is being stolen from you, or lowered at all when you play with maxed/unslotted characters.

Now for my opinion on this- Since no Exp is being taken away from me, and in DD1 you could only level up 1 character at a time. And while it did help prolong the game play, it was also very tedious and a turn off for a lot of people, so i personally really like this as its a nice combo of dd1 and dd2.  And its also pretty easy to level up in this game etc.. NMHC promenade waves 20-25 are easy ( a little harder now with the DU change ), decently fast and your able to afk. And at level 70, you get around 1 level per wave, and at 80 you get around 1 level per 2 or 3 waves. My Evs went from level 1 to level 73 in a single 20-25 promenade run. Hopefully that can help speed up your leveling process if you want to try it out.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Debs said:

Im sorry you took this as an attack, It wasn't meant to be anything but an explanation to help you, and clear things up.

image.gif.dce3f1c51e28ad21ec5562f2e1a88a8c.gifI didn't take it as an ad hominem attack. Was simply stating it was an attack against my premise, not my personal character.

22 hours ago, Debs said:

-snip- Since no Exp is being taken away from me, and in DD1 you could only level up 1 character at a time. And while it did help prolong the game play, it was also very tedious and a turn off for a lot of people, so i personally really like this as its a nice combo of dd1 and dd2.

Au contraire, in DD1, we could level up to 4 heroes simultaneously through the use of split-screen. Each hero was awarded the same exp, not a fixed divided amount like in this game. If players decided to play with others, they would get the full map exp for the hero they were playing, not 1/4th. If they ran split-screen with or without other players, they'd still get the full map exp per hero in their split-screen session.

In DDA, once people have two sets of heroes (1 builder and 1 dps) maxed and have only one new hero to level up every several months, the grind will always take 4x longer than it should. Does it have to be that way? I'm sure if enough people voiced their opinions on the matter, it could get changed.

I personally don't mind exp being divided between the non-maxed heroes in the deck. However, there really isn't a reason why more than 1/4th the map exp couldn't be distributed evenly among <4 non-maxed heroes in the deck. It's a simple enough change that would make this game more unique. I can understand the reasons they'd have for dividing exp; I can't understand why it isn't divided better.

22 hours ago, Debs said:

-snip- NMHC promenade waves 20-25 are easy ( a little harder now with the DU change ), decently fast and your able to afk. And at level 70, you get around 1 level per wave, and at 80 you get around 1 level per 2 or 3 waves. My Evs went from level 1 to level 73 in a single 20-25 promenade run. Hopefully that can help speed up your leveling process if you want to try it out.

I'm not sure if you're aware but those pictures in my original post are from solo Glitterhelm NMHCMM waves 18 - 25. I appreciate the gesture but I'm further in the game than you may think I am.

Edited by Sn/+/per
Added comment up top. Fixed typo.

I agree with you being able to divert the exp that would be wasted on a maxed character into 1 character would speed things up, but its already really easy to level up in this game. You had stated the level grind is slow so i had though you were struggling/lower level, but if your already in NMHC then you know that its actually really fast comparatively. Its something some people have complained about it being too easy to get to level 100, people already have Ev at level 100 and its barely been 48 hours since release. 

I do think they dont explain the exp system well, or really at all. And i know i explained it but the map exp isn't being divided 4 ways, its showing you the map exp for all heroes that can get exp in your deck, your not getting 80m exp your getting 20m times however many characters you have that can get exp. And this is going to be where its my opinion vs yours i guess, but having 1 character, get all the exp that 4 characters can get, would make the already easy leveling 4x easier which just isnt needed in my own opinion.

And just to add again, im genuinely sorry if you took any of this as attacking you, ive got 0 hostility for any of these messages and enjoy the discussion