8 hours ago, chpoit said:

Patience may be a virtue, but being lied to and accepting it isn't.

As they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on you. And when it come to DDA, there sure has been a lot of fooling people, espescially the console folk.

I will never understand people with console, the primary platform regarding Dungeon defenders is on pc. I would like to think that they will realease it a little bit later than what you would expect. Me personally would like for them to use their time to make more content instead of realesing it on consoles.

I know that the console game was going to be realeased among the 1.0 and that did not happen. And of course when they promise to do it qnd they dont, thats a bad thing. In all i have not heard of many games making it to consoles in early accsess. You could also consider thar the game is not on mac eather and in my view i think mac is above consoles.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lolstol said:

I will never understand people with console

I'm all for the Switch version.  Can't wait to play DD on the go!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lolstol said:

I will never understand people with console, the primary platform regarding Dungeon defenders is on pc. I would like to think that they will realease it a little bit later than what you would expect. Me personally would like for them to use their time to make more content instead of realesing it on consoles.

Thus naming myself a "consolepeasant" earlier. I also don't understand why i play on console, PC is much better and way cooler. Have you seen that video on console graphics? Absolute shite! Just looking at it makes me sick!

My prayers are with you my poor soul, in hoping they finaly fix your framerate to a 120fps, after all you didn't buy that new screen for a lousy 60 frames a second! i can blink faster than that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Batophobia said:

I'm all for the Switch version.  Can't wait to play DD on the go!

Same my family is all hyped

Well, I pop in to see if DDA has anything exciting to announce and I see this thread.

I'm not surprised, the game was DOA from the get go.  Seeing some of the numbers around the game's active users is pretty funny.  I can't imagine how stressful a time this is for CG, but at the same time making the second remake of their first game was a doomed venture from the start.

The comments about how DD1 was amazing, so what happened with DDA, these are funny to read.  Basically, they thought pulling the same "we are in constant development" would be a valid excuse this time around.  No other game development company that is established would think of pulling this because it erodes your player base.  I just hope there is no Early Access for DD3, and that we get a polished 1.0 with a complete story-line, base mechanics are in place and balanced, and the grindy end game content is more than playing the same maps on repeat for hours per run.

I'll be the first to say it, I'm not buying anymore CG content until DD3, nor will I play DDA any longer.  And even though I'm thinking about DD3, I'm not buying it until I see 1.0 and I see Juice Bags play it on Twitch for a while, until I'm fully convinced this is a good title.

R.I.P.

Here Lies:

DDA

"Or was the DOA?"

• Haha 1

While I agree with the post above on a lot of things, I'm still very glad they decided to do a proper remake of one of my favorite games of all time after the mishap that was DDE.   I have been loving my time with DDA so far even if it has fallen short of some of its promises.  Hoping that a proper update to the grinding in Mass Survival combined with player trading can turn this community into what DD1 once was.  Fingers Crossed! :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Let's Be Honest DDA have potential to be the best Tower  Defence game of all time , but it need real work to reach that point
But the main focus of the Game is perfect really , and the lack of contant and splitscreen problems can be easly fixed by the devs, after that it's just some glitches every 2 weeks or so
the main thing is the core of the game is really good

Edited by edrose86
  • Like 1

Just caught up on this thread. I haven't been involved in the DDA scene for a while, but allow me to share my perspective on a few different things.

Bottom line (TL;DR): DDA played it too safe by copying too many elements of DD1, and it suffers from the exact same flaws that DD1 has. They had an opportunity to improve upon the original design of the game, but didn't.

Fun fact, when DD1 was very first released, nightmare difficulty was not initially on their roadmap. Due to the success of the game, they wanted to introduce more content, and more difficult content. However, there was a major problem: the stat scaling and number crunching was designed for insane difficulty being the cap. If they wanted to allow stats to go higher, those stats had to be treated differently. This is why in Nightmare you have hugely nerfed projectile speed, crazy different health scaling, pet buffs, DPS nerf, and a whole slew of other major balance changes compared to insane.

One of the most confusing game design decisions I've ever seen is why CG opted to intentionally include these tacked-on balance changes in DDA as well. They had an incredible opportunity to rebalance this game for a smooth progression curve from start to finish (easy to massacre), and they instead opted to include the awkward insane to nightmare transition again. This is just one of the many red flags that indicate that CG is just trying the whole "you can copy my homework answers but change it up a little so it doesn't look like you copied from me".

On 7/25/2020 at 10:29 AM, Batophobia said:

The are the complaints that tend to confuse me the most.  DD1 launched with fewer maps and only the first 4 difficulty settings.  That was sufficient content for the launch of DD1, so having Nightmare and the campaign of Massacre, along with 3 extra maps, included at "launch" of DDA should make for enough content.

DD1 and DDA are just too similar - you can't avoid comparing them. On one hand, you have all the same core game mechanics down to the precise amount of XP gained per map being identical between DD1 and DDA. On the other hand, DDA isn't technically a remaster of DD1, so they left out almost a decade's worth of content. So you have DDA in this weird limbo of "It's DD1! ...But it's sorta not", creating this never-ending controversy.

If DDA was different enough from DD1, we wouldn't see the content comparison argument. But the fact stands: DD1 and DDA are too similar not to be compared.

CG tried straddling the two sides of "remaster DD1" and "make a brand new game", and honestly ended up getting the brunt end of both sides. If CG had simply stuck to one side or another of "DD1 remastered" or "Brand new game with new heroes, towers, enemies, and maps", we would see a lot more pleasant reception from all parties.

CG could have stuck to the core mechanics of DD1 and given us a new defending experience with new abilities, towers, enemies, and maps. I feel like this would have been the best of both worlds. This is what I also communicated in my review of the game, which aggravatingly got a literal canned response from the developers (still salty about that btw).

On 7/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Damocles said:

It feels to me like the best step into the future for DDA is the publication of SDK.  I don't think I've seen any reference to that anywhere.  I would think that should be part of the plan?  

Unless CG makes some major revisions to their roadmap, I don't expect much progress here. In fact, the only reason why DDDK exists is because Trendy had a bit of extra time prior to DD1's initial release. While I would absolutely love a DDA SDK (enough so that I'd consider getting back in the game to take a crack at making content), I don't think it's very high on CG's priority list.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic analysis gigazelle.  When I heard the EV announcement I was excited for a new hero, but seeing the wording of "bringing back the EV" is a massive red flag.  I'm really hoping that the reason they haven't announced any details publicly about the EV is because they're considering going in a different direction with her other than just a direct port, and they aren't certain yet...  But I'm not confident about that at all, and I am prepared to be very disappointed.

DDA's biggest flaw for me right now is that when I recommend dungeon defenders to my friends, I tell them to just buy the first one.  There's no reason for me not to tell them that.  I really hope that changes soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gigazelle said:

Everything about this is gold.

I really think that CG should be able to do better.  DD2 felt so refreshing (although it unfortunately went south around launch time), and now DDA feels like further tarnish to the series.  I was honestly hoping for better balance and mechanics that took the base DD1 gameplay and elevated it.  DDA simply remakes DD1, to the exactness Gigazelle states.  It is a shame that no further creativity went into this game (except for the hidden evil bunnies everywhere, kudos to that level dev), even when the story line is the DD2 heroes being sent back in time.  I mean, that should have caused some space-time anomalies they could have worked with.  Made the maps slightly different.  Made the Old One try different strategies to take us down.  But, no.  We are stuck with exactly the same flawed game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well folks it's DD1's EV.  I'm sad about that.

I was really seeing this game as the long-awaited DD1 successor.  And I feel like I was justified in seeing it this way, because there is new content, and there seems to be a prevailing attitude in the community that this is not DD1, this is a new game with DD1's gameplay style, but because it started development as a DD1 remake, there is a lot of re-used DD1 content.

However, it seems like Chromatic means to continue the trend of taking a lot of content from DD1 and sometimes adding a new twist here and there.  Which is fine in a vacuum, I suppose, the end product will still be fun when we look back on it years from now.  But for me in the present, every piece of content designed this way is a reminder that we don't have a real DD1 successor yet, and that's a shame, because DD1 is extremely fun and good.

Edited by loppol11
mis-posted

21 hours ago, papafhill said:

Everything about this is gold.

I really think that CG should be able to do better.  DD2 felt so refreshing (although it unfortunately went south around launch time), and now DDA feels like further tarnish to the series.  I was honestly hoping for better balance and mechanics that took the base DD1 gameplay and elevated it.  DDA simply remakes DD1, to the exactness Gigazelle states.  It is a shame that no further creativity went into this game (except for the hidden evil bunnies everywhere, kudos to that level dev), even when the story line is the DD2 heroes being sent back in time.  I mean, that should have caused some space-time anomalies they could have worked with.  Made the maps slightly different.  Made the Old One try different strategies to take us down.  But, no.  We are stuck with exactly the same flawed game.

Ok.. I agree but we also gotta think they are not the only ones who started a whole new style new company it’s like league of legends wild rift they need to start from scratch and then build up that is why we liked games like Minecraft they have to start from scratch and they had bugs in the beginning too yes they shouldn’t of announced it so early without checking to see without any bugs but all I’m asking is for this community to have patience and look forward to see the big goal up ahead we are here to have fun right 😃

17 hours ago, Kobaltscave said:

all I’m asking is for this community to have patience and look forward to see the big goal up ahead

I have a lot of hope for where DDA can end up.  Sure the content can seem thin compared to DD1, but I think it will end up being quite good down the road.  DD1 was a lot of fun, despite the EV and Summoner issues, and I'm sure DDA will get to that point as well.

My problem stems from beliefs like the classic quote

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”
― Shigeru Miyamoto

Though perhaps this is outdated philosophy in gaming, since post-launch updates are so common these days.  The problems with DDA being launch without some (IMO) crucial features like split-screen might not be as big a deal since it's not like ye olden days where what's on the game cartridge is all you get.  It's still a little disappointing, but ultimately it just means DDA will sit in the "Come back to" folder for a bit.

I suppose the best way to describe my problems with DDA is that, if someone asked if I wanted to play DD with them, I'd choose DD1 over DDA.  Eventually, I suspect that will change, but that's how it is for now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Batophobia said:

I suppose the best way to describe my problems with DDA is that, if someone asked if I wanted to play DD with them, I'd choose DD1 over DDA.  Eventually, I suspect that will change, but that's how it is for now.

My feelings exactly.  DDA will never have more content than DD1 (well, maybe if it gets its own CDT years and years down the line).  So instead it needs to have different content.  That way, when you're deciding between DDA and DD1, you're choosing based on how good the content is (or, less objectively, choosing based on how much fun each game's unique content seems to you in that moment).  If it's the same content, then why wouldn't anyone default to the one that has more of it?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:04 PM, Kobaltscave said:

Ok.. I agree but we also gotta think they are not the only ones who started a whole new style new company it’s like league of legends wild rift they need to start from scratch and then build up that is why we liked games like Minecraft they have to start from scratch and they had bugs in the beginning too yes they shouldn’t of announced it so early without checking to see without any bugs but all I’m asking is for this community to have patience and look forward to see the big goal up ahead we are here to have fun right 😃

Minecraft is an open world, procedurally generated, sandbox game.  It is exactly opposite to DD.

CG also isn't a new company.  They've been around for ten years now.  They also have heard the same complaints from this community with very little responsiveness.

The bugs aren't the issue.  Every game has bugs, even yesterday I found a bug in Monster Hunter World (it was hysterical).  Bugs can be debugged, that's no issue.

I think the people in this community that are upset aren't necessarily upset that this is a remake or simply a copy / paste of the original onto a new engine.  If I'm understanding what I'm reading, the sentiment is that it doesn't even try to improve on anything from the original when it comes to gameplay (sure UI was "improved" but that is auxiliary to the core mechanics).  I'd play DD1 all over again if I were to see an update that had the headline, "ALL NEW TOWERS, ALL NEW EXPERIENCE."

Me personally, I'd much rather see CG try to get the razor's edge balance between ARPG and TD correct.  If someone were to ask me for a good ARPG game, I'd never suggest DD (although DD2 was getting close to a good balance in pre-alpha).  I feel this game can't boast ARPG at all, it is simply a TD game, full stop.  I would find it refreshing to see an installment of DD where the heroes didn't cower behind their defenses.  Adding hit-boxes to enemies was great in DD2, I'd love to see some amalgam of DD2 and Monster Hunter.  Let the tower defenses take care of fodder, but require the player to actively battle the larger mobs.  Even if it was just a two minute battle on each of the last two waves, it would be fascinating to see how that would play out.

18 hours ago, Batophobia said:

I seconds this!

On 8/2/2020 at 11:57 AM, papafhill said:

Minecraft is an open world, procedurally generated, sandbox game.  It is exactly opposite to DD.

CG also isn't a new company.  They've been around for ten years now.  They also have heard the same complaints from this community with very little responsiveness.

The bugs aren't the issue.  Every game has bugs, even yesterday I found a bug in Monster Hunter World (it was hysterical).  Bugs can be debugged, that's no issue.

I think the people in this community that are upset aren't necessarily upset that this is a remake or simply a copy / paste of the original onto a new engine.  If I'm understanding what I'm reading, the sentiment is that it doesn't even try to improve on anything from the original when it comes to gameplay (sure UI was "improved" but that is auxiliary to the core mechanics).  I'd play DD1 all over again if I were to see an update that had the headline, "ALL NEW TOWERS, ALL NEW EXPERIENCE."

Me personally, I'd much rather see CG try to get the razor's edge balance between ARPG and TD correct.  If someone were to ask me for a good ARPG game, I'd never suggest DD (although DD2 was getting close to a good balance in pre-alpha).  I feel this game can't boast ARPG at all, it is simply a TD game, full stop.  I would find it refreshing to see an installment of DD where the heroes didn't cower behind their defenses.  Adding hit-boxes to enemies was great in DD2, I'd love to see some amalgam of DD2 and Monster Hunter.  Let the tower defenses take care of fodder, but require the player to actively battle the larger mobs.  Even if it was just a two minute battle on each of the last two waves, it would be fascinating to see how that would play out.

I seconds this!

I agree strongly I hope it is with the time and money on console because my family is dyeing to play this game together