MushroomCake28

Quick review of an old DD player

Posted (edited)

I've played thousands of hours of DD1 and DD2, loved both game (especially DD1) a lot, both the DLCs, etc. You can say I'm a hardcore fan of the series, and I was so happy to pick up DDA yesterday. So here's my review, in the hopes that it can encourage the devs to push more stuff to make the game even better. Keep in mind, I've only completed the campaign on medium and hardcore for now, so I can't speak for endgame stuff yet (just wait 1-2 weeks I'll get there lol).

So overall the game is very good. It really brings back the DD1 feeling, something people missed since DD2. The old maps are well remastered, the new maps are great (I love them), the game is very well balanced in campaign medium. Bosses were not easy but not too hard, except that damn dragon who's hard to kill if you have no DPS and play solo. The general feeling is really like DD1 and it creates a great atmosphere. Congratulations on that.

Loot

Loot is a bit weird in DDA, although it is MUCH better than DD2. It's closer to loot system from DD1 where any stat can roll on almost any armor. I will say though, please mark the loot, at least the rarer ones, on the map (EDIT: Upon inspection, I can see it now, but it's very pale, probably why I didn't notice at first). The removal of negative stats is a god gift (no more great builder loot with -100 speed... hurray!), and the overall randomness (to a certain extent) of stat rolls is close from the DD1 system. As for rarity, the drop rate seems very well balanced too. In my campaign play, most of the loot were junk, I got a couple of uncommon (the green loot), and 2 rare or epic, forgot the name of the rarity in DDA, the blue loot, and only from the lava cavern (Glithersomething Cavern).

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but rarity doesn't seem to be linked with level requirement like in DD1 and seems that item power is the one that determines it. So it's closer to DD2's loot in that regard. I'd say I'd prefer DD1 system a bit more, since I still think getting mythical loot and above is ridiculous on lower difficulty. However, I have not got loot of higher rarity than blue for now, so perhaps I'm wrong and mythical and above only drops on Nightmare and above. 

Heroes

Nothing much to say, very similar to DD1. Animations are better though. Nothing to complain about. Waiting for the DLC heroes.

Hero Deck

This is a weird one for me. I like the shared EXP for all heroes in the hero deck, and I like the quick switch and the removal of the hero forge. Those are great changes, more like features that were kept from DD2. However, I have not been able to create a fifth hero. Perhaps I'm just missing something (I just played for less than a day lol), but if that's really the case, then I must say I'm disappointed. If I have one DPS, I can only have 3 builders? That doesn't seem right. What are we going to do with all the DLC heroes? DD2 did this for a while to encourage coop and cooperation among people, but that goes against hardcore players. DD is about having fun for everyone, but also about hardcore gamers who farm for hours to get the best loot and have the best builds.

I'd suggest going the DD2 way: you can switch hero from your hero deck during battle, and you can swap heroes from your hero deck during build phases. Like i usually have 20+ heroes, all specialized in one build. 

EDIT: Just found out you can create more than 4 heroes. So scrap that part. However, my point still stand for having more than 4 heroes during build phases.

Menu and UI

This is weakness of this game. I don't know for others, but I'm not a fan of the new icons for stats and the new names for stats. What was wrong with Tower Health, Tower Attack, etc.? I'm now having difficulties reading the loot because I'm not used to it yet. Can we at least have different color icons for hero stats and tower stats? I was really confused at first. "Power, is that hero power, or a tower stat?", stuff like that. 

I'm fine with the inventory UI mostly, except for the fact that it's weird to have the lock all and sell all options above the lock and sell (single item) options. Switching between pages is annoying, perhaps we could get a shortcut for that (or perhaps there's already one that I'm missing?). Also it's probably a bug, but when hitting sell all on a page that isn't the first one, it doesn't automatically returns to page 1.

The hero stat menu is terrible. The function of adding points and removing them is well done, but it's downhill from there. First of all, why isn't the equipment stats added to the hero stats in that menu? I have to click on an additional button to access a different menu to see my total stats. Can't you fuse both scene? I don't know, display the full stat with the point allocation in parenthesis besides? 

Additional suggestions

Most of the features I'm suggesting are self explanatory or require very little explanations, so I'll just put a bullet list:

• Minimap during battle. Add 3 toggle options when pressing tab: no map, big map overlay, minimap in a corner. 
  • Stat comparison when expecting loot on the ground. Stats that are better are already in green, but can we have stats that are lower in red, and missing stats also in red (perhaps another color of annotation so the player doesn't confuse the comparison with negative stats on the loot).
  • Mark loot on the map, and with a color code so we know what rarity it is.
  • Put a warning text on the screen when a strong monster spawns like ogres.
  • Sound effect when a rare loot drops.
  • Additional hero slots with possibility to swap heroes from hero deck in build phase (see hero deck section of this post).
  • More hero fighting skills with the possibility to swap abilities (like we have 5 hero skills and can only have 2 at the time, so not to mess with the current inputs).

Conclusion

Overall, the game is great for now. I'm sure with more content it can surpass DD1. One thing though, making it close to DD1 is a good thing, as that game did some many things right, and also because a lot of people liked it. However, simply remastering DD1 is not enough. Don't be afraid to test out new stuff as long as it doesn't change the core of the game, like DD2 (but let's wander not too far from the core like DD2). For example, new hero fighting abilities that we can swap. 

I'm very happy with the game and wish for the best. I'll continue playing until I'm done with the endgame, and I'll post another more complete review once I'm done with the endgame, or far into it at least. In the mean time, I'm eagerly awaiting for more content. 

Mush

Edited by MushroomCake28
  • Like 2

I pretty much agree with everything aside from maybe the switching characters mid wave, i can see it being good ( i mainly played dd2 so im more used to it anyway), but i also can see that is does add some more difficulty to the game.

also--

The loot early on is pretty much useless, the stats they come with are pretty small and overall dont effect the game until you start to get into insane/nightmare, where loot starts to become more of a focus. The loot rarity is restricted in each difficulty, so your not going to see legendary gear until you get to insane i believe, or transcendent until you get to later game nightmare. Loot is also level restricted for the most part aswell, ex.. your not going to find a common chestpiece with level requirement 70, and your not going to find a transcendent piece with level requirement 50.

You can create more then 4 heroes by pressing H i think, or holding f1-f4, and then right clicking a card, pressing "swap". and then youl be put in a menu where you can customize, and you will see a botton to create hero. Then when you want to switch out Monk 1 for Monk 2. you just click on the hero you want to switch in and press add hero to deck. Its not setup very well and not intuitive at all like in dd2 but you can do it.

glad your liking the game :)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Debs said:

You can create more then 4 heroes by pressing H i think, or holding f1-f4, and then right clicking a card, pressing "swap". and then youl be put in a menu where you can customize, and you will see a botton to create hero. Then when you want to switch out Monk 1 for Monk 2. you just click on the hero you want to switch in and press add hero to deck. Its not setup very well and not intuitive at all like in dd2 but you can do it.

Ahh yes, you are correct! That was not intuitive though lol.

13 hours ago, Debs said:

holding f1-f4

I believe just pressing F5 will also work

14 hours ago, MushroomCake28 said:

I'd suggest going the DD2 way: you can switch hero from your hero deck during battle, and you can swap heroes from your hero deck during build phases. Like i usually have 20+ heroes, all specialized in one build. 

As others have mentioned you can swap out your heroes in and out of your deck, you can build with as many heroes as you would like, they do not have to be in your deck to retain their stats on their towers. With regards to the flow being not very intuitive we are aware, and we've already begun blocking a smoother flow on how to handle that better.

Switching between pages is annoying, perhaps we could get a shortcut for that (or perhaps there's already one that I'm missing?).

You can switch between pages using scroll wheel or Right thumbstick on gamepad I believe. Is there something you find annoying about that i'm missing?

This is weakness of this game. I don't know for others, but I'm not a fan of the new icons for stats and the new names for stats. What was wrong with Tower Health, Tower Attack, etc.? I'm now having difficulties reading the loot because I'm not used to it yet. Can we at least have different color icons for hero stats and tower stats? I was really confused at first. "Power, is that hero power, or a tower stat?", stuff like that. 

Our goal here was to try to be a bit more thematic with regards to the fantasy RPG setting, which we know can confuse some people with regards to what does what. We have plans to overhaul the Hero Stat Display on the left side to better reflect current values as well as allowing you to get a understanding of each stat and how your total value came to be.

The hero stat menu is terrible. The function of adding points and removing them is well done, but it's downhill from there. First of all, why isn't the equipment stats added to the hero stats in that menu? I have to click on an additional button to access a different menu to see my total stats. Can't you fuse both scene? I don't know, display the full stat with the point allocation in parenthesis besides? 

Our reasoning for keeping them separated was to prevent confusion of where and how many points you had assigned. Since the Hero Stats can be reassigned at any point we wanted to try and make it as straight forward as possible, Here are the stats, Here are the points you have assigned in each stat, Add and remove as you see fit. I do see where you are coming from and might be something we consider as a toggle in the future.

Overall really appreciate the feedback, I love to read these kind of posts and try to give an understanding of how things came to be from our side of things and where we can improve on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, [CG] Philip said:

Stuff

The heroes limitation thing and inventory scrolling was just me not figuring it out haha xD. I have only played for 2 days so I'm sure I'm still missing quite some things, and perhaps that new stats are intuitive for a new player but confusing for someone used to the old ones. As for scrolling in the inventory, I just missed that it was possible. With the scrolling wheel, it's perfectly fine! I just want to add that although I figured out how to make more than 4 heroes, it was not intuitive. I couldn't figure it out until people told me how to on the forums, and that's coming from someone who played thousands of hours of DD1 and DD2. 

Overall I would say that although beautiful, the UI is not very intuitive. I'll admit that the inventory scrolling thing was my fault as scrolling with the mouse wheel does seem intuitive lol, but I have a couple of examples, some that I discovered yesterday while playing (just a list of stuff on top of my head):

• To upgrade you need to right click, a menu will pop out with the upgrade option. I had to search to find this.
  • I can't find my character level in the menu, I have to exit the menu and look at my health bar to find it. Perhaps it's there in the menu but I'm just missing it?
  • The graphics of the loot is very well done, better than in DD1 imo, but some of the images make it hard to discern what type of equipment it is. I found out that the equipment type is displayed in small near the bottom of the item's window, but perhaps it would be better to show it at the top in bigger letters? Or better, to save some space in the window's box perhaps there could be some icons for the equipment type?

There are also some gameplay features that were not intuitive, although they are welcome changed. An example would be the ability to scale down auras and traps (which is so useful, thank you). I only learned about it because another player told me. 

I have to add that from my first glance of the game, it is very stable and well optimized. I've had no crash and almost no dip in frame rate. Very good job! Overall it's more about the intuitiveness of the UI and some gameplay features. The game itself is very well done, and very balanced (I was surprised by that). I got through normal campaign, transitioned to hard campaign and the progression was natural and smooth, maybe perhaps a bit too smooth (it was way too easy on the act 1 maps on hard). Now doing insane, finished the act 1 maps and the difficulty does scale up, although I'm still able to complete the maps. 

Ahh one last thing, perhaps a bug or something you guys forgot, the harpoon on the Dragon boss map (not the tower, the one we press E to fire at the dragon on the ramparts) seem to always deal 10k damage and doesn't scale with difficulty. I couldn't solo the Dragon on hard since I had no DPS characters, just builders, since the boss's HP scales with difficulty and not the harpoon damage.

Sorry if this post is a bit hectic lol.

• Like 1