Sign in to follow this  
CC_Life

[POLL] DDA sucks? Chromatic is heading in the wrong direction and should put effort back into DD2?

[POLL] DDA sucks? Chromatic is heading in the wrong direction and should put effort back into DD2?  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. [POLL] DDA sucks? Chromatic is heading in the wrong direction and should put effort back into DD2?

• Y
    • N

• Haha 4

DDA is what it is meant to be. A follow up to the dd1 style gameplay.

Dd2 had a weird focus on upgrading litterally a single tower per class. I never liked that. I just wish they could find a way to make all towers useful in some way because right now it feels like 9 defenses max are useful and 11 are just bad.

• Like 2

I really like this game and where the devs WANT it to be in the coming year, I played a lot of both DD1 and DD2 and I don't think DD2 is a direction we want to be heading in. DD2 is still a game you can log into and play, I believe the kickstarter success of DDA is because a good chunk of us defenders didn't like DD2's direction for awhile now.

That aside, giving you the benefit of the doubt, would you like to clarify what direction you would like DDA to be on @CC_Life ? I only ask because your OP is very vague. Why does the game suck? What elements of DD2 should be incorporated?

No hate, I am just opening discussion. As someone that has been affected by this temporary 'legacy progress wipe", and is still REALLY loving the game since release so far, albeit with a handful of annoying/temp bugs :) :)

• Like 3

DD2 sucks.  Period.  End of story.  It's the reason we have DDA.  When you mess with the original formula (DD1) you end up dead - which is what has happened to DD2.  So much was wrong with DD2 that basically was the poison pill for Trendy as a company.  

Glad CG took the reigns and focused DD back to its origins -- DD1.    DD2 was a mutated cousin of DD that should be left to wilt on the vine and drop off into the abandon-ware pit.    All hail CG and DDA!  

• Like 7

What I didn't like about DD2**:

* Paid currency

* 4 defenses instead of 5 per hero

* Mana being split between combat mana and building mana, making defenses more useful for simply stopping things instead of actually killing stuff

* Paid "speed up pet hatching" junk to see if RNG blesses you with the pet you wanted

* Heroes who were completely better than basic heroes you could unlock with paid currency or grind forever

* The difficult-to-impossible progression of solo-play thanks to literally not being able to be everywhere at once

* Upgrading costumes for some reason, like unlocking it isn't enough

* "Elemental combos" feeling like the only kind of defenses that might actually be able to defend something without you - but only if half of it doesn't break and the other half is working right.

What I don't like about DDA:

* Unfinished-feeling UI (the tower health + upgrades, damage numbers, font of floating numbers on a map, loot panels, defense panels on inspection, things like that)

* Inoperable tavern keeper (but they say Later((tm)), just that I thought he'd have wares with the "full release")

* Some of the gameplay balancing stuff (Medium drops nothing useful; to get better loot for the map you're struggling on, play a previous map on a higher difficulty and maybe hardcore, because your Actual Progression Map isn't gonna drop goodies.)

* "light" content (mostly because 9/15 maps are familiar from DD1 and I don't have the "oo what's next" sense I used to get from DD1 progression)

* the absence of my favorite DD1 challenge, the original Capture The Gifts christmas map, which I thought was a fun change of pace from regular defending and hope will resurface later this year.

I think they can fix DDA. Fixing DD2 means ripping out the paid currency, light-MMO style emphasis (costume stuff and public taverns and loot itemization) and reworking the combat system. DDA just seems like less work to reach a dungeon defending experience that I actually want, which is mostly DD1 but without the difficult climb into nightmare for solo-players who didn't level a summoner and thought "minion units" were cheating.

**Opinion generated on an early build of DD2 when "the Mystic" was hot off the DLC press.

• Like 2

Not a fan of DD2.

Huge fan of DD.

This is the right direction. Though at this point I think I would rather a true DD2, that works like the first but with new content. Right now this feels a little too much like DD take 3.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LemonyNebula said:

Not a fan of DD2.

Huge fan of DD.

This is the right direction. Though at this point I think I would rather a true DD2, that works like the first but with new content. Right now this feels a little too much like DD take 3.

AGREED.

Never  played dd2, only fuck wuth dd1. DDA is the next new big thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DDA in its current state is a little underwhelming, especially with the current bugs atm and the horrendous controller support. However with more content and more polish this game can be something pretty special.

• Thanks 1

DD2 was great, but the free to play mechanisms hurt it a lot.

DDA is meh so far, but has much more potential. Add in the Jester and King's Game and it's a win!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

DDA is a long time coming, many of us who played alot of DD2 always wanted DD1 in a new engine. I hope Chromatic will bring more balance to the game, before the DLC.

I do want to see the Summoner, EV, barbarian and jester but I'd like the harpoons to be useful and auras to hit a bit harder than currently.

• Like 1

I have well north of 3,000 hours in DD1 on xbox.

450 in DDA so far.

37 hours on DD2.  I HATED it.

• Like 1

Although I’ve already responded in the same topic on the dd2 section, I don’t like dda, but I would hate to see them give up development of dda. They need to make it a success and learn as much as they can from it to move onto dd3

• Like 1

If they would fix the issues with virtual network cards and creating games in DD1, I would probably still be playing it.

Right now DDA sucks, but only because they are making a bunch of weird decisions. I had a lot of fun during EA, and once they let me transfer my chars to ranked, I will probably have fun in DDA. Nerfing gear/max upgrades is kinda weird, but hey, Trendy/Chromatic has never been good at balance, they did the same in DD2 beta.

I did not like DD2 much because of the cash shop. It felt awful.

hahaha I hated DD2.  Seriously even if I had to put up with bugs and problems and server wipes I would still enjoy DDA more than I did DD2. 

• Like 2

What about DDE guys? I think they should invest in that

• Haha 3

Look, we got a new game based off of the original. After the success of the original Dungeon Defenders, TE tried their best at making the game again but 'better' and failed. Between micro transactions and bugs in general, the gameplay wasn't fun. TE is now CG for a reason and that is because they know there was something done correctly in the first game that they want to respark. There is always the chance that we might see maps/monsters from other DD games in DDA. I'd honestly take DDA in its current state over DD2 any day. I dropped some cash on that game and still felt unhappy with the end result.

As for DDE, take a look at this reddit thread. It does a great job showing the downfall of the DD1+all dlc remake.

I don't foresee a large amount of attempts being left available for remakes of this game. I'm really hoping this one does well. As of right now, steam charts is showing a decent pop for DDA. I'm hoping CG can get missing components and issues fixed asap.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:05 PM, pigboy said:

DD2 sucks.  Period.  End of story.  It's the reason we have DDA.  When you mess with the original formula (DD1) you end up dead - which is what has happened to DD2.  So much was wrong with DD2 that basically was the poison pill for Trendy as a company.  

Glad CG took the reigns and focused DD back to its origins -- DD1.    DD2 was a mutated cousin of DD that should be left to wilt on the vine and drop off into the abandon-ware pit.    All hail CG and DDA!  

Wasn't Chromatic Games formerly called Trendy Entertainment? They rebranded themselves last year. I'm guessing they didn't want the association with DD2 anymore, which I agree, sucked.

21 hours ago, tenfyr said:

Wasn't Chromatic Games formerly called Trendy Entertainment? They rebranded themselves last year. I'm guessing they didn't want the association with DD2 anymore, which I agree, sucked.

I think Trendy went downhill when they abandoned the DD1 genre spirit and went to the DDMOBA (!!) and DD2.  DD1 was and still is the ONLY GENRE OF ITS TYPE IN EXISTENCE.  There is no other game that mixed TD and PvE / Rougelite/ARPG like DD1.  Trendy had a monopoly on it.  I think Trendy got greedy with the idea of free to play model or DOTA and tried to cash in on micro transactions.   This wasn' t want DD was made for and isn't what made DD1 successful.    Trendy basically ignored the fact they had a genre monopoly that was successful, and instead switched to something that was an abomination of DD1. 

CG will make $$$$ if they take the essentials of DD1 and keep them as essential features in DDA.   It's really not difficult  -- DD1 is the model of success...DDA just has to keep that same DD1 foundation and build on it without crossing in to DD2 territory.    If they stray from DD1's essential features, it'll tank quickly.    If the ONLY thing they did was copy DD1 exactly,  CG will make $$$$.   If CG takes DD1 and adds features that build on DD1 (graphics, UI/QOL improvements, more game modes, enemies, loot, challenges, limited time events) then CG will make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.     If they add something like complex gear crafting (beyond what DD1 did) or some new currency for microtransactions -- IT WILL TANK.   Nobody wants DD2 -- if they want DD2 they can play that trash outside of DDA.  Anyone that wants more DD2 in their DDA is poisoning the well....why do that?  

CG should have had an intro video on DDA -- where it shows the DD2 universe with the Trendy logo and it completely blows up and  erases from existence.  That's how much of DD2's content/features should be considered for DDA --- as if DD2 did not exist at all.  

There is a whole new generation of 10yr old boys that weren't alive when DD1 came out -- INTRODUCE THEM TO THE DD1 experience with DDA.    If my first DD experience was DD2, I would have just ignored DDA altogether....   CG, you have to make DDA live up to DD1 in every way possible, and then some.    Half your work is done with the available DD1 content and game blueprint -- don't mess it up or compromise it with the DD2 poison. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, pigboy said:

I think Trendy went downhill when they abandoned the DD1 genre spirit and went to the DDMOBA (!!) and DD2.  DD1 was and still is the ONLY GENRE OF ITS TYPE IN EXISTENCE.  There is no other game that mixed TD and PvE / Rougelite/ARPG like DD1.  Trendy had a monopoly on it.  I think Trendy got greedy with the idea of free to play model or DOTA and tried to cash in on micro transactions.   This wasn' t want DD was made for and isn't what made DD1 successful.    Trendy basically ignored the fact they had a genre monopoly that was successful, and instead switched to something that was an abomination of DD1. 

Free to play and DOTA was the trend. DD2 norrowly escaped the MOBA genre, but not the free to play one. That hurt it for me. The DLC economic model from DD1 was good, following blindly the trend was not a good idea.

Anyone that wants more DD2 in their DDA is poisoning the well....why do that?  

CG should have had an intro video on DDA -- where it shows the DD2 universe with the Trendy logo and it completely blows up and  erases from existence.  That's how much of DD2's content/features should be considered for DDA --- as if DD2 did not exist at all. 

don't mess it up or compromise it with the DD2 poison.

Seriously, you're getting a bit emotional. DD2 has some good maps, some good characters, a few interesting enemies and  an interesting loot system (even if I think it never did really work)

Ad long as they keep the micro transactions away, they can add some DD2 features.

DD1, DD2 and DDA aren't that different, everyone is entitled to prefer some aspect of one of the other, but the "DDA sucks period" (from the OP) or "DD2 sucks period" aren't really interesting opinions.

Edited by Ryzours
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ryzours said:

Free to play and DOTA was the trend. DD2 norrowly escaped the MOBA genre, but not the free to play one. That hurt it for me. The DLC economic model from DD1 was good, following blindly the trend was not a good idea.

Seriously, you're getting a bit emotional. DD2 has some good maps, some good characters, a few interesting enemies and  an interesting loot system (even if I think it never did really work)

Ad long as they keep the micro transactions away, they can add some DD2 features.

DD1, DD2 and DDA aren't that different, everyone is entitled to prefer some aspect of one of the other, but the "DDA sucks period" (from the OP) or "DD2 sucks period" aren't really interesting opinions.

I'm fine with having DD2 maps.  Bring the bosses, maybe characters.   NOT the DD2 loot system--- such garbage.    DD2 did suck, btw.    Just objective facts.   Hence CG's move to DD1 rather than more DD2.    And hence all the votes in favor of DDA aligning with DD1. 

No I dont think they should move back to DD2, I played that game for 30 minutes and noped right out of it and went back to DD1. (1700 hours in 2018-2019) (probably another 2000 on DD1 xbox version.  DDA is a game I hope to see succeed, I have never in my life ever seen a combination of genres meshed together so well. I will continue to support DDA, and although recent issues, bugs and what not have led to some issues, CG is working to remedy that, and we need to give them that chance to fix it, because I feel DDA can come out on top and really spiffy up the edges.

• Like 1

A huge part about what made DD2 suck in my opinion is, well lots of things haha, but a big part was the feel of the mobs.  The mass mob thrill of DDA and the way the towers are so active against such a large mob is thrilling to me.  I never found the DPS very enjoyable, Pets were useless and annoying, and the loot system sucked.  The maps never felt like they were true to the spirit of Dungeon defenders.  It just never felt like you were in an environment that made sense for the genre.  So for me saying DD2 sucked feels very accurate!

I actually liked both DD1 and DD2, which appears to be an opinion that isn't widely held. People seem to be one or the other. I didn't like the DD2 end-game format, but otherwise liked everything else about it. Obviously I could pick holes, but overall it was good.

I'm happy with the DD1-style direction of DDA, as long as the content and effort is continued to be applied, its all good. Having survival back is so nice.

My only slight disappointment coming into DDA from DD2 was the lack of polish. DD2 looked better visually, felt better, hundreds of small QOL touches and details just made the game feel more premium to me. DDA feels like a relegation in that regard. I am guessing that's because CG needed to create a whole new game with the resources they had, and as quickly as possible. I'm pretty hopeful that future updates will deal with that point.

DDA certainly doesn't suck, nor did DD2 imo. Just different.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1