Posted (edited)

So, considering the scummy release, what compensation are us early backers going to get?

• Promised no wipe, technically didn't wipe but may as well have. I could have saved 150 hours and just loaded cheat engine to be maxed in 2 minutes on 'legacy' mode.
  • Promised no price change, instantly drop the price on release, AND put it on sale for extra salt in the wound. Had I known about this I wouldn't have bought in EA - the main reason I bought in early was because it was like £20 rather than the £40 it was supposed to be on release.
  • Most of the 1.0 features promised are missing. No trading in tavern, no splitscreen, no massacre survival mode, missing bosses etc.

I think EA backers should get free DLC / future content or something, honestly feels a little bit like we've been scammed. Had I known all of this would happen I definitely wouldn't have backed the game early. We've essentially paid money to beta test the game, and got lied to about it every step of the way...

Edited by connorg35 (^o^)/
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, yea, what Chromatic pulled is a load of shit.

"Hey early backers, we know you paid $40 or more, and we are going to let you play.  But all the new money we are about to rake in is the most important thing in the world (more important than you)."

I get the discounting, but this is a HUGE slap in the face.  We literally deal with your crappy game and give you all the play testing feedback you could ever need and you fail to deliver on your word.

My suggestion:  Every EA backer should give a negative review right now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Wow....I was waiting to play because they hadn't really released anything more and I was pretty much stacked...to come back and find out that hundreds of hours are gone because they lied about what they would do....If nothing else at least we can do reviews on the steam page to assure no one else is taken advantage of.

They can't even bother to make an official statement.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, eg013 said:

They can't even bother to make an official statement.

They actually did:

Edited by Vicogmir
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vicogmir said:

They actually did:

they did not. they only explain why they slashed the price. they did not explain how to compensate for people that bought it at the high price

They owe you guys nothing. Stop being stuck up. They do what they can and all you guys do is give them more shit to feel bad about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You aren't entitled to any compensation. It's sad to see that so many people feel so entitled to things these days.

Understand that things happen and that you don't have the knowledge and capacity to understand the decisions that were made and that it was the best case scenario and continue to play and have fun, or don't. Your pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connorg35 (^o^)/ said:

So, considering the scummy release, what compensation are us early backers going to get?

• Promised no wipe, technically didn't wipe but may as well have. I could have saved 150 hours and just loaded cheat engine to be maxed in 2 minutes on 'legacy' mode.
  • Promised no price change, instantly drop the price on release, AND put it on sale for extra salt in the wound. Had I known about this I wouldn't have bought in EA - the main reason I bought in early was because it was like £20 rather than the £40 it was supposed to be on release.
  • Most of the 1.0 features promised are missing. No trading in tavern, no splitscreen, no massacre survival mode, missing bosses etc.

I think EA backers should get free DLC / future content or something, honestly feels a little bit like we've been scammed. Had I known all of this would happen I definitely wouldn't have backed the game early. We've essentially paid money to beta test the game, and got lied to about it every step of the way...

Seems the OP doesn't understand what Early Access/Beta is.   The OP wants to have his cake and cheat too -- using EA content and XP progression in a 1.0 game mode?  And the OP wants to be compensated for NOT being allowed to CHEAT in 1.0?   OMG so ridiculous.    OP wants to basically have game breaking skills to bypass any 1.0 game settings and get paid via free DLC.   This OP is toxic...

There wasn't a wipe -- so OP can play with EA content in the 1.0 game with other EA gamers or fresh Legacy players.   Great feature - thank you CG!

CG lowered the price for anyone wanting to try the game for the first time or get a game for friends -- WONDERFUL!   Game goes on sale and OP acts like he was robbed!   The same argument could be used for ANY sale that occurs on ANY game.  OP compensated for paying for the early access with the game and the TIME to play the game before others --- OP was compensated with the 120 hrs he played in EA.   Seems like OP wanted MORE than CG offered and MORE than what he paid for -- seems ridiculous.  OP acts entitled to something he hasn't earned.....toxic!

Sure, more features would be nice -- but CG will deliver!  

Thank you CG for a great game!  I look forward to DDA becoming the best!  

If you buy the game, why should you not be able to critique decisions? Lowering the price was a necessary step in my opinion, it felt a bit to high. However, as an early access buyer myself I feel a bit ripped off for paying more to support the development and beta test the game. They decide if they want to compensate those players, they don't have to do that. However, it would show that they, at least, give a shit.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Agony099 said:

You aren't entitled to any compensation. It's sad to see that so many people feel so entitled to things these days.

Understand that things happen and that you don't have the knowledge and capacity to understand the decisions that were made and that it was the best case scenario and continue to play and have fun, or don't. Your pick.

the company lying in the product description is not entitle to our money.

Both in the steam product page and forum product FAQ describe that there will be no price change. false advertisement is actually against the law in most countries.

They can reimburse the difference, give full refund or add more content for free.

There have been early access games on steam where price was lowered on launch, but customer that bought the game in early access got free future dlc. Not even that have been mentioned by Chromatic Games

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S.T. said:

They can reimburse the difference, give full refund or add more content for free.

Honestly, this is the remedy for virtually every issue about this situation.  If they roll out $20-$30 worth of DLC, all EA supporters should get it free.

My main issue is the bogus excuse they use to go with Legacy mode.  It can't be that hard to query the profile data, copy just the names, hero types, and experience of each hero and put them into a new profile.  Then just query the inventory and write a simple formula to figure out the value of that loadout and give all that gold to the new profile.  That is all they had to do.  Now all EA players are stuck in Legacy mode if they want their old hard-earned gear?

Bought into the Kickstarter as my girl and I are avid DD1 fans, the PROMISE made in the BACKER is NOT being HONORED. Absolutely heartbreaking to wait for delays and fixes but yet still try to have a glimmer of hope that they would fix the problems and at least add split-screen, just to see I've been duped on an apparent cash grab built off of vagueness and white lies...

Absolutely ridiculous, now I'm probably going to start the process of getting a refund. I encourage others to express yourselves in the reviews, I'm imploring anybody with connections to a larger voice on the internet to make these issues known. Complete bullshit and a DISGRACE to companies out there who successfully and TACTFULLY run an EA to a game. This whole experience has been sour and makes me hesitant to support companies.. guess I should do some background research next time.

I've scoured these forums as of release and still have yet to see any sort of CM or official Dev response to any of these concerns. Pathetic, probably busy in the back counting up the dollars while they get ready to milk the next batch of suckers with paywall levels and difficulty modifiers in the DLC. FFS I'm sure there already hard at work at charging to change the colorset of your characters.

10 hours ago, S.T. said:

they did not. they only explain why they slashed the price. they did not explain how to compensate for people that bought it at the high price

This is not addressing anything...it's rationalizing lying to your investors...the backers.  In ANY other endeavor this would be a much bigger deal....Again...this is NOT them addressing anything all it does is poorly explain what we already knew....there is no point in that where they do anything but defend their positions while still completely screwing everyone that backed them and had faith in WHAT THEY PROMISED.

Those that say they don't owe us anything...maybe.....but you clearly lack integrity if you believe that making promises and not making good on ANY of them is acceptable just because "It's Early Access you should have known it would change.".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, eg013 said:

making promises and not making good on ANY of them

I think you misspelled "not making good on about four or five of them"

• Like 1

I cant understand that all this negative publisity is better for the game than letting EA players keep their progression on the normal play servers?

I don't think they were weighing it up like that @krsans78, it seems to me that they encountered technical issues with getting early access saves on the normal play mode and didn't want to push the release date back to fix it.  I don't think game balance was their intention in putting early access saves into legacy, because if they were worried about early access players being more progressed they wouldn't have promised not to wipe data to begin with.

The problem is we have no idea what the technical issues are, and their explanation doesn't explain why the play/legacy mode divide needs to exist yet in the first place given that legacy can both hold early access saves and allow for the creation of new saves, and mod support doesn't exist yet...

Remember, you bought into Early Access.

This should be because you wanted to support the game and/or it's developers and wanted to be a part of or close to the development progress, knowingly playing a game in an unfiinished state that is liable to any change at any time.

Everything stated should always be taken with a pinch of salt due to the nature of development. While they should have been more careful with the promises they made and more communcative overall, they have done nothing to warrant compensation, refunds or as much hate as they are getting on these forums.

You have a right to be upset and it is perfectly find to vent, but please be respectful and treat the situation as it really is.

The only part I believe may be more liable to compensation is the price change. The price is not 'part' of the product, so is not expected to change if stated at the point of sale to remain the same. This is closer to false advertisement as I would like as the promise directly effected the worth and purchase decision of the product overall.

If I'm honest, I still don't really care, as I believe I got a good deal anyway and am not against others doing so too, and boosting the game. But I agree there is something there to 'kick up a fuss' if you so choose.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LemonyNebula said:

This should be because you wanted to support the game and/or it's developers and wanted to be a part of or close to the development progress, knowingly playing a game in an unfiinished state that is liable to any change at any time.

Everything stated should always be taken with a pinch of salt due to the nature of development. While they should have been more careful with the promises they made and more communcative overall, they have done nothing to warrant compensation, refunds or as much hate as they are getting on these forums.

You have a right to be upset and it is perfectly find to vent, but please be respectful and treat the situation as it really is.

The only part I believe may be more liable to compensation is the price change. The price is not 'part' of the product, so is not expected to change if stated at the point of sale to remain the same. This is closer to false advertisement as I would like as the promise directly effected the worth and purchase decision of the product overall.

If I'm honest, I still don't really care, as I believe I got a good deal anyway and am not against others doing so too, and boosting the game. But I agree there is something there to 'kick up a fuss' if you so choose.

Yeah yeah, we all know we read the same in every topic regarding missleading release content. You are the only smart one who understand how it works and the rest which wanted release features like split screen ettecera are wrong... ohh wait you probably do not going to use this feature... you even do not have friends to play with as you mentioned in other subject. "Marked as hacker".

I do not boycott DDA, but sweet God when I see such malignancy so many times, toward the others from same person I can not simply go without responding.

I wish all players (which did not start supporting CG from DDAm but much earlier) will get along with CG team and develop a consensus . See you in game Defenders!

Edited by Vicogmir

28 minutes ago, Vicogmir said:

Yeah yeah, we all know we read the same in every topic regarding missleading release content. You are the only smart one who understand how it works and the rest which wanted release features like split screen ettecera are wrong... ohh wait you probably do not going to use this feature... you even do not have friends to play with as you mentioned in other subject. "Marked as hacker".

I do not boycott DDA, but sweet God when I see such malignancy so many times, toward the others from same person I can not simply go without responding.

I wish all players (which did not start supporting CG from DDAm but much earlier) will get along with CG team and develop a consensus . See you in game Defenders!

If my friends had the game why would I need split screen?

By them not owning it, I am more likely to use split screen to play multi with them than if they played their own copies.

There is also a huge difference between questioning where actual missing features are, than demanding refunds because progress got wiped.

2 hours ago, LemonyNebula said:

I'm curious as to what you think should be happening.  I'm still combing through new posts, but so far I haven't seen anything disrespectful.  Most users are disappointed and frustrated, which is a logical response to half-truths and blatant lies.

Also, what do you think the situation "really is"?  Their single post on the topic doesn't explain much or anything.  Unless you are some sock-puppet account for someone at CG, you are just as oblivious as the rest of us.

2 hours ago, LemonyNebula said:

Well, no.  I bought into a Kickstarter.  So what you are saying here is that you should never support and company by giving them money until the product is "complete".  If that was the case, DDA wouldn't even exist.

And what if, instead, we looked at it more like how it "really is".  They had an actual beta.  The data from that was wiped when they went to EA with the promise that this was the release version with some content still in the works.

9 minutes ago, Batophobia said:

I'm curious as to what you think should be happening.  I'm still combing through new posts, but so far I haven't seen anything disrespectful.  Most users are disappointed and frustrated, which is a logical response to half-truths and blatant lies.

Also, what do you think the situation "really is"?  Their single post on the topic doesn't explain much or anything.  Unless you are some sock-puppet account for someone at CG, you are just as oblivious as the rest of us.

Well, no.  I bought into a Kickstarter.  So what you are saying here is that you should never support and company by giving them money until the product is "complete".  If that was the case, DDA wouldn't even exist.

And what if, instead, we looked at it more like how it "really is".  They had an actual beta.  The data from that was wiped when they went to EA with the promise that this was the release version with some content still in the works.

what if instead cromatic actually kept to their promises and not wipe people data and honoring the original price tag to backers. no wait they did none of that. 

1 minute ago, Batophobia said:

You really can't see anything disrepectful? The last post I litterally just seen on these forums was saying 'f*** you Chromatic", which is something you can see a few times.

Or how about how others are treating others, calling people trolls, or insinuating sock-puppet accounts jsut because they disagree.

This is the time when you can voice your concern and put up solutions. Emotional rants will get nowhere. I do not say people can't be unhappy about this, I am saying that just saying you are will not fix it. I also will state that you are not liable to a refund due to it being early access or kickstarter, and the product being delivered, even if it is not exactly in a state you are happy with. That is the risk we take.

I don't know the situation on why they did this, their communication has been some of the worst I have ever seen, and nor do I claim to, but this is exactly why we should be pushing to find out, instead of yelling into a void.

12 minutes ago, Batophobia said:

Kickstarter is even more reliant on your understanding that the product can go either way. It even warns you before you back.

I also never claimed that you shouldn't support people, in fact in another post, I outright state you should. I'm saying you should be aware and careful when you do. That you should kind of know that the money you put into it is always a slight gamble, so if it does go wrong, you won't be so distraught.

Posted (edited)

or better yet, learn of this and never trust what cromatic has to say ever again. btw can't wait for the next kickstarter or gofundme where i';m going to be there just to tell people how you fucked over your last backers. 

Edited by Kyubey-_-Live'n'Died

37 minutes ago, LemonyNebula said:

their communication has been some of the worst I have ever seen

This is the root of the issue, and has been for the entire time.  Even going back to the Kickstarter issues with shipping to non-US users.  At least the response to that was clear and explained the actual problems.

It's one thing to make promises in Kickstarter and EA only to have them change over time.  Development is complicated and products evolve as they get created.  It's another thing to make promises and break them with no warning.

39 minutes ago, LemonyNebula said:

You really can't see anything disrepectful

After reading through more, the only disrespect I've seen has been from people mocking those that are upset.  "It was EA" is not a helpful response.  When you expend resources and energy on the word of a promise, only to have that promise broken, people feel betrayed.  Having someone say, "you shouldn't feel that because it was EA" is just kicking while your down.

25 minutes ago, Batophobia said:

"It was EA" is not a helpful response.  When you expend resources and energy on the word of a promise, only to have that promise broken, people feel betrayed.  Having someone say, "you shouldn't feel that because it was EA" is just kicking while your down.

I have not once said people should not be allowed to be upset or not "feel". That is ridiculous.