papafhill

Impression Thread (Week ??? 5?)

I'm not sure what week we are on since EA launched... don't care that much.

Now, disclaimer first... for anyone who knows how upset I've been at the foundation of the game in my previous posts, this post will not be focusing on those underlying foundational issues (although my feels about them remain the same... looking forward to potentially a great DD3 some day).  I'm going to focus on what changes I'm seeing today since playing about two weeks ago.

1) Inventory UI - I'm actually happy with the changes.  Especially the Hero Level filter added.  I like how the menu for filters has been removed so that clicking on the filter simply cycles through the filter.  My only suggestions: When we click Sell at the bottom, it would be nice if it auto filtered to all unlocked items, and that a check box would appear on each visible item.  Then if we check the box and click OK / SELL again, then it would only sell the items checked.

2) Frames dropped - No proof of it, but it looks to my eyes that frames are dropping slightly.  The animations are just slightly off / choppy... enough to notice but not enough to be a big deal at the moment.  We'll see when NM update rolls out if this gets worse.

3) Hero swapping - I can't swap my heroes in my deck anymore?  Granted only during build phases is this restricted, but that just feels more restrictive than before.  What's the point of a hero deck at all?  When we have 8 hero types later on and only able to use 4 in a given game, that just seems to me to ruin solo play.  Now, my guess is this is just bugged.  When I right click on my heroes and say SWAP, then I can swap them out.

Overall:  Slightly good improvements.  Interested in what NM will bring.  Still not happy about the direction CG is taking the game, but it's definitely a DD1 remake!  So much nostalgia.

may i ask is your perspective from using a gamepad/controller?

as a keyboard and mouse user i can say i absolutely hate the new inventory UI.  they didnt add any filters like sorting for specifics IE tower power > 20 etc.  and the click through instead of a drop down menu is just awful.  first off id prefer to see all my options at once, second if i click past the one i wanted, now i gotta click 20 times to get back to it again...awful.

as to second point im not noticing frames dropped as a solo player, but others have posted similar issues so i might be lucky.

3rd point many people are saying this now but i can swap heros in the same way i always could F1-F4 swaps with no issues.  again i wonder are you using a gamepad?

If my educated guess is correct and you are providing this feedback as a gamepad user, i think the issue is that they are trying to please both pc and gamepad users with the same UI and options which is leading to unhappy users on both sides.  if im wrong then im wrong =)  but i could see how a lot of what you liked, such as a click through filter, would be preferred with a gamepad.  but with a mouse it feels terrible. 

either way lemme know what you're using papa cuz now im curious

Regarding the sorting button, I too prefer the drop-down. There have been several instances where I want to go from Item Power back to Newest, but it's like 10+ clicks away.

Regarding swapping heroes out in the hero deck, I'm also running into this issue a lot. I am a keyboard user, so that's not the issue. I find the Select and Delete buttons in the lower right frequently disappear and I can no longer click on them. Very frustrating, especially when right clicking then choosing Swap sometimes doesn't work either.

I'm also unable to swap between heroes in the inventory screen with F1-F4. Not sure if it's just me, but I thought this was something they added...

3 hours ago, Halagren said:

If my educated guess is correct and you are providing this feedback as a gamepad user

Also, they specifically mention right clicking in their original post, so I don't think papafhill is using a gamepad.

• Like 1

interesting thx noob247365.  hopefully papa can confirm if he's gamepad or not too though.  wonder why im not having swapping issues, now i almost wanna try to figure out why.  i still havent failed to swap a hero one time, during build phases or during inventory screen, it's working flawlessly for me with F1-F4.

2 hours ago, Halagren said:

interesting thx noob247365.  hopefully papa can confirm if he's gamepad or not too though.  wonder why im not having swapping issues, now i almost wanna try to figure out why.  i still havent failed to swap a hero one time, during build phases or during inventory screen, it's working flawlessly for me with F1-F4.

The swapping heros glitch isnt when changing heroes with F1-F4, its when trying to swap a hero out of your hero deck with another hero and the select button disappears. For me the glitch only happens when trying to switch my squire into my hero deck, but I have found when clicking a different hero and clicking quickly back to my squire the select button reappears and I can put him in my deck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Halagren said:

Hey Halagren, I'm using mouse and keyboard.  The F1-F4 buttons work.  The bug is when you press F5 to pull up your hero deck.  I think the bug is intentional though, because:

1) I used to have to left click the hero, then say either SELECT  or SWAP depending on what I wanted to do.  Now left clicking the hero automatically selects that hero and takes me out of the Hero Deck screen and back into he game play.

2) I can now right click any of the four hero cards and choose SWAP which does work just fine.

My guess is CG wants to take the SWAP button on the Hero Deck screen out, and just have the players right click the hero card if they want to swap heroes.  This way, if you want to select a new hero from your current deck of four, you don't need to left click the hero, then click on SELECT to make the switch.

That's just my guess.....

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 1:07 PM, [CG] kyled said:

This menu was created for functionality by Engineers - the UI team will be making a pass before the final release, don't worry!

All of the complaints about UI can be answered with this. Things will be changing 

Sure, WIP explains some things. But functionality not working for some people, but it works for others isn't just a WIP thing. So, not "all complaints"...

UI is not finalized and for the swap button on the UI that doesn't work on the hero deck at the moment, but a fix is being worked on. 

• Like 1

Hopefully there are plans for a bit more complexity....I understand that there was a bit too much complexity and rng in DD2 but this is just mind numbingly boring to just hope that you see a minor increase on a piece of gear.  Some kind of effects would be nice...maybe not the the same degree as mods in DD2 but....something to actually affect things other than just minor stat bonuses.

Already it's pointless to continue playing after you've got all your gear kinda setup....at this point you're basically just waiting for those perfect 1000+ items to drop with the right stats...yes that's most of what any DD game is about but having zero effects or tower bonuses is really...meh

On 3/23/2020 at 4:23 AM, Halagren said:

may i ask is your perspective from using a gamepad/controller?

as a keyboard and mouse user i can say i absolutely hate the new inventory UI.

As a gamepad/controller user I hate it as-well

• Like 1