Sign in to follow this  
gigazelle

Exploit Weakness is NOT broken

Disclaimer: Exploit weakness mostly works. It doesn't work in the single place that you'd actually expect it to work, which is on rollers.

A mechanic in DD2 that is extremely poorly explained is the concept of weaknesses. There's one mutator in onslaught that mentions it, but other than that, you can play through all of DD2 without knowing that it exists. So, what exactly are weak points?

Weak points are a small part of an enemy's hitbox that, when hit by RANGED hero damage attacks, deals 1.5x damage. Weak points can also be referred to as 'headshots'. This mechanic is independent of random critical hits, which can stack with headshots. Melee attacks and abilities cannot hit weak points.

"But Gigazelle, what about siege rollers? Melee attacks work on that weak point!"

Strangely enough, rollers don't actually have a 'weak point' as stated above. They are hardcoded to receive 2x damage, regardless of melee/ranged attacks, from behind. Anywhere else, you deal 0.05x damage. In the sense of the Exploit Weakness mod and the 'Soft Spot' onslaught mutator, rollers do not have one. On the bright side, every other enemy does!

For the most part, the enemy's weak point or soft spot is their head. The only exception is large skeletons, which the glowing crystal in their ribcage is their weak point.

"Okay Gigazelle, so how do I capitalize on the Exploit Weakness mod and Soft Spot mutator?"

Two requirements:

• Use a ranged hero attack. Exploit weakness is 100% worthless on ability-focused heroes, and heroes that only use melee attacks.
  • Use said ranged attack on an enemy's head.

The latter is considerably challenging, because enemies' heads bob when they walk, and you have to take server lag into consideration. You can make headshots considerably easier and more reliable by having a setup that self-stuns. For example, drenching strikes + ice (or storm) chip, or a poison weapon with a pet that deals earth damage.

"Hold up. People have claimed repeatedly that the Exploit Weakness mod is broken. What proof do you have?"

Fairly extensive testing on maps. Note that tavern dummies don't have soft spots, so you can't test your mods on dummies. Also note that rollers are coded differently than other mobs, so Exploit Weakness doesn't work on them. All other enemies do have weakpoints, though.

Running the numbers: Gear without any exploit weakness mods. Note that I'm not worried about the actual damage, but the ratio of headshot damage to non-headshot damage. Damage was tested using a huntress with a 2.5/s x1 bow.

• One arrow, no crit, no headshot: 352267
  • One arrow, no crit, with headshot: 528401
  • Ratio of non-headshot to headshot: 1.5x
  • One arrow, random crit, no headshot: 538642
  • One arrow, random crit, with headshot: 792601
  • Ratio of non-headshot to headshot: 1.5x

Next, I put on my Exploit Weakness gear. My mods are 70%/70%/70%/35% (I need a 10/10 healthy power gloves before upgrading my last one to c7)

• One arrow, no crit, no headshot: 372657
  • One arrow, no crit, headshot: 2963499
  • Ratio of non-headshot to headshot: 5.175x
  • One arrow, random crit, no headshot: 858986
  • One arrow, random crit, headshot: 4445251
  • Ratio of non-headshot to headshot: 5.175x

Note that all of these numbers appear red, except no crit + no headshot. Since they're all red, it can sometimes be difficult to determine if you're landing headshots, or if you're just getting random crits.

TL;DR: The Exploit Weakness mod increases your headshot multiplier for ranged hero damage, and 100% works. It does not affect rollers, since rollers don't have a 'headshot' hitbox.

Edited by gigazelle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nice work ...so this means exploit weakness is 100% useless ....I'd change that on my build if I was still playing lol

• Like 1

Although I  dont know much about exploit weakness ,no any range hero is powerful. 

As i think, exploit weakness also works for melee attack.Did  u make any test ?

I have no any proof, i just enjoy the game .I have 2 weakpoint chip on my armor,which  give me huge help.But my dps hero is not a range hero.haha

While great to know this effectively changes.....nothing. Zombie is right, this is still 100% useless and I even use a HD Huntress as my primary lol. The problem here for ranged heroes will lie in the fact that it will only work if 1. You have a 1x 4/s weapon and 2. Can land consistent headshots on targets in the middle of crowds. Shooting into crowds is self explanatory, the number of projectile parts makes sense to those who know about it.

Pure theorycrafting here, but you could potentially have a reverse nuke monk drastically outdamage a regular nuke monk using a 2/s x1 polearm. The catch is that it wouldn't work on rollers, and the skill ceiling would be much higher since you would have to aim for their face instead of just landing a last attack melee.

Also, for bows, a 4/s x4 bow outperforms a x1 bow in all situations, since the four projectiles fire in a straight line. 

Yeah, that's about my experience on it, too. I made a DPS EV2 specifically for that purpose about a year ago, and was mortified when I discovered that it doesn't have an effect on siege rollers. About the only use for that particular character now is killing bosses that are stuck way back in the spawn, because charged shots ignore terrain and the spawn forcefield. 

• Like 1

This a very good post..Knowing about those numbers is important especially the fact about the rollers not be eligible for this condition which is frustrating.

I could think than for those numbers would be very strong a shadowflame or megashark build with focused pow and anti miniboss with those exploit weakness chips on each armor piece considering than is easier to aim with those weapons and for gunwitch you can aim for snipe shot which i dont know how much more effective is than rapid single shot from megashark. 

I dont know untill wht point you will start to be mowed by assasins but for the purpose of kill boss and some large enemies like lava guardian and the ogres seems great.

At least for me this 70-75% bonus outweight a lot for wht you can gain by others armors chips 

Shadowflame auto aims for center mass so they go for chest, you would have to be directly above an enemy for that to work and she cant fly. GW is so weighted towards Ability Power that I doubt a full set of c8 Exploit Weakness would change that. Most likely the heroes you would be looking to use this on is Huntress and Apprentice and considering their current dps and the possible bonuses they would get from this, nuke monk would still greatly out dps them from range.

If you are right there is only three options because the archer and the mage is not very good in general..

Mystic have other types of shot in which i believe have 1 shot type although is very bad to deal with flyers could be useful for this reason if has fast travel speed.Is maybe too much of burden to try but mystic have call to madness so is possible than is compensated.

Lavamencer bone gloves is a option but i really dont know anything about his potential of hero damage..Hi has poor options in terms of ability but you could use manaburn hd without rely on ability at all and possible achieve something.

EV2 has the celebration weapon and if the explosion happens in the area that you hit could be the best or the worse depending how is treated the explosion hitbox.Ev2 is arguably the best of ranged units avaliable and it has good options like the meltdown chip and the charged attack.

shadowflame and bone glove are mods, which don't get headshots. Only primary or secondary hero attacks can headshot and take advantage of Exploit weakness.

For EV2, mcdoogers rapid shooter would 100% be the best weapon for Exploit Weakness. Both huntress and apprentice have 4/s x4 weapons, which would be their ideal weapons. You might be able to build a reliable snipe gunwitch, since it would be easier to hit the mob's soft spot with her projectile speed and zoom. I don't know how well her damage scales with HD, but if you can consistently pull off headshots, you're looking at 5x-6x tavern dummy damage on enemies.

Edited by gigazelle

I think the funniest part of the thread and possibly all month was the part where you say Huntress and Apprentice isn't very good and you were considering Shadowflame and Bone Glove as options. Which is saying a lot with all the DDA stuff this month lol.

As far as actual numbers and human tendencies, even with this discovery people will naturally move to best option with least work. The 500-600% damage that this would give you with any kind of thought required doesn't match the brainless play with Nuke Monk blindly firing secondary shots with a ~1400% bonus. Basically, without a balance pass to everything, which I'm not getting vibes from CG about them doing such a huge task anymore, mods are at a minimum not going to change much leaving Monk to reign at the top of the dps food chain for 99% of the playerbase. If players wanted to put in the effort then putting that combo on Monk would send his dmg into skyrocketing into outer space leaving absolutely every hero in the dust.

I placed shadowflame and later bone gloves as something that could work but according with gigazelle mods that change weapons not even take in consideration and you also said about shadowflame auto aim in the center would be a extra problem.Lavamencer potential i dont know about so is just a commentary even because i think that is the worst of heroes available to play and mystic i played almost since the beggining with her and if happens to exist something than could make her dmg better without a big commitment i would try because i already use her lol.

I think than those two and maybe you could include adept are very avg..They have good abilities and have the range attacks but seems like they gameplay doesnt fit the pace of the game for atleast onslaught to me..Huntress is probably the better one but doesnt have anything outstanding than you gonna say that saved you (atleast not easy to do).Adept have the bubble but you cant spam.

You are totally right about it, human tendencies is a huge thing because in the end win is all that matters if doesnt hurt you the way that you achieved but i believe than there are players like me that want to use other heroes because is more pleasant.

If monk have 1400% like you said then is really not worthed to aim for this build instead of incorporate in the monk unless you really want use the other particular hero.

Is like  you said: While great to know this effectively changes.....nothing.

Reason why Mods(and most shards for that matter) dont work towards this bonus is because they're consider abilities, which as tested, do not get amplified by this mod. Of course there are a few exceptions that are bypassing this "Ability Tag", which could also be said they're not working as intended(easily tested on the mutator).