Sign in to follow this  
[CG] Mary

Screenshots from the PAX South Demo

Just wanted to share with you guys a look at what attendees at PAX South were able to play. Just a reminder though that none of what you see here is final and this is just what we showed at PAX South. Things will change! 

Tornado1.png

Tornado2.png

Tornado3.png

Tornado4.png

Tornado5.png

• Thanks 1

To be honest, i prefer the current layout in the beta to this. Looking forward to see what changes are still being made to the UI

• Like 2

I understand this is not final and as it doesn't appear we are going to get to test this in the beta, I have a few things to say based on these screenshots since this is all I can go on:

1. There is a lot of empty space on that UI particularly the wave section, that is a very solid long bar for displaying a small bit of info.

2.  The hotkey reminders R Q Z when looking at a defence to upgrade is very obnoxious, Even the G to start seems a little too much. Maybe it is the font, maybe its the size but doesn't look right.

3.  The images look softened I'm not sure if that has been done after the fact or that's the look now, but don't like.

4. Someone needs to tweeze those eyebrows on the monk lol

5.  In the first image the 280 mana available is not aligned a long with a few other numbers it seems, I would assume it's the font you use.

6.  The upgrade cross all characters are aligned on the right but repair is aligned to the left, it looks very weird an out of place as a fix I would suggest Q and M above and below the icons.

7. I'm not quite sure I understand the hexagon for DU I feel the hexagon is not needed.

Hopefully this will be taken as constructive rather than moaning, i'd be happy whatever let me just play :-D

Edited by Doondoons

3 minutes ago, Doondoons said:

I understand this is not final and as it doesn't appear we are going to get to test this in the beta, I have a few things to say based on these screenshots since this is all I can go on:

1. There is a lot of empty space on that UI particularly the wave section, that is a very solid long bar for displaying a small bit of info.

2.  The hotkey reminders R Q Z when looking at a defence to upgrade is very obnoxious, Even the G to start seems a little too much. Maybe it is the font, maybe its the size but doesn't look right.

3.  The images look softened I'm not sure if that has been done after the fact or that's the look now, but don't like.

4. Someone needs to tweeze those eyebrows on the monk lol

5.  In the first image the 280 mana available is not aligned a long with a few other numbers it seems, I would assume it's the font you use.

6.  The upgrade cross all characters are aligned on the right but repair is aligned to the left, it looks very weird an out of place as a fix I would suggest Q and M above and below the icons.

7. I'm not quite sure I understand the hexagon for DU I feel the hexagon is not needed.

If that wave bar has to be so big perhaps change it into a progressive bar to show us how far though the wave we are.

Hopefully this will be taken as constructive rather than moaning, i'd be happy whatever let me just play :-D

It is a progression bar! Not the final build and things will be getting changed. We appreciate the feedback though. Love feedback and want it all!

2 minutes ago, CGMary said:

It is a progression bar! Not the final build and things will be getting changed. We appreciate the feedback though. Love feedback and want it all!

Sorry I was being dumb, the progression bar is above, what I was meaning, was the wave 1/5 could be incorporated into the progression bar rather than a huge grey bar with a big blank space after the 1/5 for example.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Doondoons said:

Sorry I was being dumb, the progression bar is above, what I was meaning, was the wave 1/5 could be incorporated into the progression bar rather than a huge grey bar with a big blank space after the 1/5 for example.

There may be other information that will be displayed in different game modes, it looks like this is a campaign playthrough so it may include other details such as "survival" or other things they will add to the final version. 

I think this looks pretty great im excited to see it in all its glory on release, and in picture #4, is that the good ol DD1 mana?! it's a little difficult to tell but if it is then im reallllly happy to see it, i always loved the style in DD1 whereas DD2 felt too.... sharp? if that makes sense. 

A little bit of feedback:

1) I can't quite put my finger on it but i do agree with @Doondoonswhen he said the DU hexagon is not needed, or atleast needs altering into something else, it just sort of feels out of place, i wish i could provide an example of what i think it should be but i can't think of it, i just know it feels wrong, perhaps you could add it to the bar where it states the wave number? 

2) The screen feels a little too bare, having too much in the UI is a bad thing but i believe there is also such a thing as too little, and while this new UI feels more polished than whats in the beta it also feels more lacking, perhaps putting the R/Q/Z/M for repairs/upgrades/mana drop/sell in the bottom right and having all the number hotkeys across the bottom from left to right, that i think would make it more rounded.

3) Maybe im forgetting something here but is there no blue mana bar anymore? Has this been removed in the polished version for some reason, how do we know how much mana we have to cast abilities or has that whole system changed somehow?

4) Agreeing completely with @Doondoons when he said the G in "Press G to start" feels obnoxious and the R/Q/Z when hovering over a tower. This needs to be changed its completely out of place and honestly just looks plain bad. 

All the above feedback is based solely on these images and i hope its helpful :)

my only problems in these pictures are

1. The boss like bar for the wave count

2. The repair, upgrade, sell , and mana drop are just right above our skills

3. I don't see our mana for skills but I do see the tower one.

I assume the chatbox is supposed to go on the left but it looks seriously strange having the UI elements so biased to one side.

The defense upgrade/sell/repair hotkeys being displayed in a d-pad formation while on a PC seems kind of odd especially when the other hotkeys are displayed in a more normal way. 

It looks like the wave progress bar depletes down as you progress through waves, but honestly I think it looks far better if it fills up as you progress through a wave like it does in DD1. And I guess since it's just pictures I may be missing it but the bar seems very blocky and static where as the DD1 bar was very "fluid" and animated. 

The indication of what level your defense is upgraded to doesn't seem to have changed (?). If that's the case it's still a pretty serious visibility issue.

As others have said, the prompt when hovering over a tower are both really unaligned and look kind of obnoxious and out of place.

And while it's a bit off the UI topic - I'm hoping you guys have looked into the auto-targeting on repair/upgrade as having to manually target everything is incredibly cumbersome.

Maybe it's the ARPG addict in me but overall I think UI's that are center-biased are much better looking and more functional. 

5 minutes ago, Cuddles said:

The defense upgrade/sell/repair hotkeys being displayed in a d-pad formation while on a PC seems kind of odd especially when the other hotkeys are displayed in a more normal way. 

The indication of what level your defense is upgraded to doesn't seem to have changed (?). If that's the case it's still a pretty serious visibility issue.

As an xbox player as well as pc this didn't even occur to me but you are right, makes sense if you use a controller but not so much without. aside from the alignment of the hotkey info on the d pad looking upgrade buttons I completely agree. a vertical bar would make more sense.