Sign in to follow this  
fluffycalico

How much DD1 did you play?

I'm interested into the purpose of this thread. Mostly because it is posted in a DDA section and the title and original post made no mention of DDA, the Beta, nor any other relevance.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Exglint said:

I'm interested into the purpose of this thread. Mostly because it is posted in a DDA section and the title and original post made no mention of DDA, the Beta, nor any other relevance.

It's pretty clear...the point is the same as the question... how much DD1 did the people in here for DDA play.   It's a fair question since DDA is the remake of DD1 that DD2 was supposed to be but wasn't.  

7 hours ago, fluffycalico said:

It's pretty clear...the point is the same as the question... how much DD1 did the people in here for DDA play.   It's a fair question since DDA is the remake of DD1 that DD2 was supposed to be but wasn't.  

It is NOT a remake geez. Show me any post anywhere from any of the developers that clearly states that DDA is a remake. Below is from their kickstarter page and it clearly explains what DDA is. Please feel free to tell me where it says DD1 remake.

We're taking the core gameplay of the original Dungeon Defenders, its amazing content, its physics-bending charm, and we're mixing all of them together in a brand-new game set after the events of Dungeon Defenders II.

Travel back in time to when and where it all began: with the four young heroes banding together in their parents' castle — only this time, they face a time-altering menace who could reshape the past, present, and future of Dungeon Defenders

• Like 1

Belongs in the DD1 forums. 

Also as @dizzydiana said, this is most certaintly not a remake of DD1, it is however heavily influenced as DD1 was the original perfection that is dungeon defenders and they want to bring that back in this new game DDA while implementing some modernisation to the graphics, QoL improvements and a few things that worked well in DD2, as well as completely brand spanking new content such as 2 maps already in the beta called Lava Mines and Ancient Mines.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, AJsEpicGames said:

Belongs in the DD1 forums. 

Also as @dizzydiana said, this is most certaintly not a remake of DD1, it is however heavily influenced as DD1 was the original perfection that is dungeon defenders and they want to bring that back in this new game DDA while implementing some modernisation to the graphics, QoL improvements and a few things that worked well in DD2, as well as completely brand spanking new content such as 2 maps already in the beta called Lava Mines and Ancient Mines.

Again explain to me how putting a poll for DDA players in the DD1 forums would get answers from the DDA players?  Putting it there will in no way help get background info on how much the DDA beta players played the old version. 

If I were to put one in DD1 it would be more like how many of you are in the DDA beta...

As for DD2 and DD1 they are as incompatable as oil and water most people like one or the other not both.   Yes there are some who like both but most do no like both.   Also you can look right and the trailer and know this one is more like DD1

• Like 1

The thing is this thread is not a poll asking how many played Dd1. It only asks how many hours you played, so I fail to see what point you are making. I spent over 4k in DD1 and around 2.5K in DD2 I dont see how that applies in the context you describe. If you want to know how many from Dd1 are buying or want to buy Dd1 then ask that. what does having 4k hrs in DD1 compared to 1khrs have to do with it exactly. What about those who actually like Dd2 and want to play DDA do they not count? i really dont see how trying to divide the community even more helps DDA be successful. As part of the DD1 community you should be welcoming Dd2 players convincing them not to be put of by DDA being closer to DD1 than DD2 etc. I want any possible player buying DDA not just a section of people.

• Like 2

So instead of letting someone ask how much DD1 people in the DDA beta played you decided to be a pest and come and derail the thread you don't even care about for no reason.   Blocking you on the forums so don't see any more of your posts.

Edited by fluffycalico
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dizzydiana said:

The thing is this thread is not a poll asking how many played Dd1. It only asks how many hours you played, so I fail to see what point you are making. I spent over 4k in DD1 and around 2.5K in DD2 I dont see how that applies in the context you describe. If you want to know how many from Dd1 are buying or want to buy Dd1 then ask that. what does having 4k hrs in DD1 compared to 1khrs have to do with it exactly. What about those who actually like Dd2 and want to play DDA do they not count?

[...]

@fluffycalico asked a simple question. Does he need your permission for that? I am not sure, why you are immediately reading your negative thoughts into this.

3 hours ago, dizzydiana said:

[...]

i really dont see how trying to divide the community even more helps DDA be successful. As part of the DD1 community you should be welcoming Dd2 players convincing them not to be put of by DDA being closer to DD1 than DD2 etc. I want any possible player buying DDA not just a section of people.

There is no need to "try to divide the community". The community already is and has been divided by Trendy themselves, by making DD2 a completely different game. And now it is up to them and only them to decide, which part of the community they want to keep, because let's be real: DD1 and DD2 are so different, that you cannot make everyone happy. They would have to bend so much in each direction, that the resulting product would be a very chaotic mix. Just to make sure, I never said that you cannot like both games. But in general I am seeing more contrary opinions or at least clear preferences to one or the other.

3 hours ago, The Ich said:

The community already is and has been divided by Trendy themselves, by making DD2 a completely different game. And now it is up to them and only them to decide, which part of the community they want to keep

I know you probably didn't mean this to sound the way it does but I just wanted to point out and give you a chance to fix it. This part insinuates that the reason you have a feeling was not your decision but CG made you feel a certain way, which is actually an impossibility. The only person who can decide how they feel is the person themselves.

If you did mean it that way I would have to say that was a rather ignorant statement putting the blame on CG's shoulders. They are artists and they want people of all kinds to enjoy their art and appreciate it's form even if that form changes over time. 

As far as the overall thread, he is free to post and no one is restricting him. The problem lies with the fact that he posted in the DDA section but had no tie to DDA itself. He assumed people would understand his reasoning, like they read his mind.

Edited by Exglint

8 minutes ago, Exglint said:

I know you probably didn't mean this to sound the way it does but I just wanted to point out and give you a chance to fix it. This part insinuates that the reason you have a feeling was not your decision but CG made you feel a certain way, which is actually an impossibility. The only person who can decide how they feel is the person themselves.

If you did mean it that way I would have to say that was a rather ignorant statement putting the blame on CG's shoulders. They are artists and they want people of all kinds to enjoy their art and appreciate it's form even if that form changes over time. 

As far as the overall thread, he is free to post and no one is restricting him. The problem lies with the fact that he posted in the DDA section but had no tie to DDA itself. He assumed people would understand his reasoning, like they read his mind.

You are right I assumed this beta forum was not full of trolls and people too stupid understand why someone might want to know how much of the game this one is based off of people in THIS forum played.   I definately will know better now.

Any why are you trolls not freaking out about the many other people in this forum who started off their feedback with gasp how many hrs of DD1 they played.  How dare they bring in that very relavant information

Edited by fluffycalico

Well thats not a first but definitely a weird way to claim someone to be a troll when I was merely attempting in a nice way to give your thread some purpose. A troll would instead try in ways to demean a person as a way to get a laugh out of their demise.

The threads that people title with their hours in a particular game for the most part has also included somewhere in the thread whether or not they have any experience in DD2 or DDE. Which to me just sounds like they are trying to show how much experience they have within the series rather than being pretentious about how many hours they have played a particular game. It would be very similar to me doing the same putting in that I have over 2k hours in DD1 and 4k hours in DD2 to give people who came in to read what my feedback was an idea about just how much experience in DD games I had. Though I haven't seen anyone else go as far to link screenshots proving how many hours they have so really you just have to take their word about it because no one on the internet lies of course. Though I do really get a kick out of people saying they are pro because they have more than 500/1k hours and they haven't played said game in over a year. (There are quite a few so I have had plenty of laughs over that)

7 minutes ago, Exglint said:

Though I do really get a kick out of people saying they are pro because they have more than 500/1k hours and they haven't played said game in over a year. (There are quite a few so I have had plenty of laughs over that)

Yes because giving up on a game that has hacked gear everywhere means you didn't know how to play.   Laughing at people who realised they were never going to stop the hacking DD1 doesn't really make much sence.   

• Like 1

Reminds me of people who use the meta in DD2, I see it as cheating because of how overpowered it is. Instead of giving in and quitting I intentionally use my own build that incorporates non of the meta stuff, I have more fun doing it, people see me having more fun and try it out, some people go back to meta because "winning", some continue to use my build because they have more fun and the achievements actually feel like achievements again, a few thank me for helping/showing them. I saw a broken situation and attempted to fix it by showing people another way and that it was still fun to play normally. You cant win over everyone but I made friends that will play with me without using that stuff which makes party play way more fun because we are engaged with each other. Basically around me the situation never exists, same thing could have been done with people who used the altered gear in DD1, who knows maybe someone tried and got a few people but no one noticed.

Pros wouldn't use or condone stuff like that and would attempt to remedy the problem as best as they could, I have never known a pro to be a quitter. "Welp, the situation is boned, too bad I'm a pro and don't have the skills to show people how to play without broken gear and still be having fun", would be something along the lines of what someone would have to say in order to give up on the game. When the answer is more likely that they were no longer having fun playing the game themselves and quit out of boredom.

So this has gone quite off topic in more ways than 1. 

My issue with this thread was it was in no way connected to DDA and this is the DDA forums, i'm not some scummy troll and i haven't even seen a single real troll in these forums at all. If you are interested in knowing how many hours people have in DD1 and thats it, then this 100% belongs in the DD1 forums, but if you are asking how many people from DD1 have tried the game and asking for their opinions on it, then it 100% belongs here, i think your post is just lacking in information if it is somehow related to DDA because you have not mentioned it. 

On 12/1/2019 at 4:35 AM, fluffycalico said:

Only after this post did the purpose of your thread being in a DDA forums get some clarity but then it kind of blew up over your statement about DDA being a remake and that DD2 was supposed to be but failed did this snowball into a distasteful conversation. 

Everyone should respect that there are people who have different preferences in the Dungeon Defenders Franchise and not question why they do/don't like the other etc... Lets all be friends!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Exglint said:

Well, I meant it as I said it. Not as a feeling but as a fact. This thread is a prime example that a splitted community is not only a thing but also a really hot topic. And this situation is a result of certain decisions, that have been made by the company and not by players. Sure the developers would like everyone to love the things they are creating - who would not want that? - but if you are changing too much at once, you might attract new players but also risk to lose the things, that your existing playerbase loved about the original concepts. And this is exactly what has happened with DD1 and DD2.

So how would you design your next game, i.e. DDA? I think it is an easier thing to get a newer player, who only played DD2 so far, into playing a game, that goes more into the DD1 direction than vise-verse. If they would make another game based on DD2, they would definitely lose a specific and not insignificant part of their playerbase, especially if you consider, that DDA is no longer using a free-2-play model but the classic one-time-purchase+DLC again.

16 hours ago, Exglint said:

[...]

Though I do really get a kick out of people saying they are pro because they have more than 500/1k hours and they haven't played said game in over a year. (There are quite a few so I have had plenty of laughs over that)

I am trying to interpret this statement in different ways, but in any case the result is ridiculous. Are you saying, someone does not qualify "as a pro" for you, if he has not played for a while? Or was something in that game so fundamentally changed, that the "old pros" would have trouble to catch up again? I don't even know, what's the point of this statement, so let's not go there any further.

16 hours ago, fluffycalico said:

Yes because giving up on a game that has hacked gear everywhere means you didn't know how to play.   Laughing at people who realised they were never going to stop the hacking DD1 doesn't really make much sence.   

That's a good statement and one of the main reasons, why I stopped playing DD1 at one point. We already had another big thread about the topic of "hacking" and I cannot emphasize enough, how important this will be for the long term success of DDA or any DD-titel in general. Sure, there is still a very dedicated core playerbase in DD1, which has found ways to deal with this problem and work around it to certain limitations. There are certain event items, directly given out by admins, people use trading-trace-lists for these items and you have to sign up for these events. People are censoring parts of their items to avoid duping. That is so much hassle a honest player has to go through in order to play the (end-)game. But the whole system is still extremely vulnerable, if there is someone a bit more clever than the dumb "everything-9999-values-hacker".

Back then I was also setting up my own afk-shops, having items on the ground for additional tradings. And I exactly remember one occassion, where someone came in and complained about my prices being so high. I chatted with that person for a while and he claimed that he bought the gear he was wearing (which was borderline-hacked) for much less (using this as an argument to lower the price of one of my best offered sets) and that he could easily get even better stuff for little (real) money somewhere else. The whole conversation was pretty weird and also pointless. Why did he not just leave my shop? But it made me very clear, that I was just wasting my own time trying to compete with others, who were offering their - obviously much better - hacked stuff.

I think I stopped playing DD1 a short time after Lab Assault was introduced. The rewards of this map were just completely overpowered. Within a couple of runs you could get stuff like ultimate armors, for which I had farmed hours of survivals before. I had the feeling, that the balance was completely thrown of with it, devalueing everything I had done so far.

Also I could afk-farm all of the existing maps on nmmmhc with ease, so there was little motivation to continue at that point.

The take-home message of all of this is - and to also get back to DDA - that the success of DDA will depend on many core-pillars and to point out 3 very important ones:

• preventation of hacked stuff and cheating

• overall balance and the "right" difficulty

• item and loot system (i.e. the rareness of really good stuff; the "endless" strive for better gear; the right amount of randomness, giving you exciting and rewarding moments in an appropriate time)

And the main problem (I have) with the current Beta is, that we cannot judge any of these aspects yet, due to the very limited nature of the Beta. I only see an indication, that loot is much more generous mainly due to the lack of overrolling stats (into negative ones). Iff this is compensated by the actual rareness of certain rarities it might be even a good thing (something that is super rare, but if it actually drops eventually, it has a good chance of being at least decent). If on the other hand the game is overwhelming you with good loot, than we will just have another DDE.

I could continue here for a while, but most of the sentences would have to begin with an "if", because the beta just does not give us the necessary information.

Edited by The Ich

0 hours not sure what that means to the thread starter though.

I’m enjoying the beta, aside from some artwork that I really don’t care for (heroes and the 90s style cgi enemies).

Also, chill people.

Edited by Little Magic Hat
  • Like 2