Sign in to follow this  
spuddy

Disappointing Beta

I know this is only a beta, but seriously. Gameplay sucks. Where's the in-game forge? Building is slower because of a change in how to place traps. This was marketed as a return to the DD1 style. Instead it feels like DD2. Epic fail. Uninstalled. I hope the actual release is fixed. Not impressed.

• Like 2

This is a beta about 2-3 months away from release. You should check the kickstarter update on the kickstarter website where they wrote which features are not in the beta and which will in the release.

I am not sure what you mean about the change in building since it is similar to DD1. You can change the camera option with CTRL when building so you get the topdown placement instead of the spot your character is looking at.

Personally I like most of the changes they brought over from DD2. Forge isn't necessary because you can swap hero, check inventory, and apply skill points just from pressing a button on your keyboard which is nice. The forge never made sense to begin with, it was just a huge inconvenience for no reason and was my least favorite thing about DD1.

My only real complaint is the lack of mana to upgrade your defenses. After wave 3 they just give you a slow drip of mana that's barely enough to repair your towers and you have to save up for several waves to upgrade a single tower. That's not very fun imo. I think the Monk and Huntress towers also need to be looked at, their towers get depleted way too fast and when you couple the constant repairing of auras/traps with the low mana it creates a problem.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VillainousTaco said:

their towers get depleted way too fast

This has always been the case though and it's for good reason. 

Traps and auras are both really strong AoE defenses and auras have vertical range and don't need line of sight to work. Both also provide crazy utility. They need some kind of drawback, and honestly in my opinion it's better they have low health than to lower their range or damage or something. Gear naturally bumps them up to a point where you don't need to worry about them disappearing before long anyway, so it pretty quickly stops being an issue. 

Hell, I've only played about 4 hours and my auras comfortably last a full 5 wives and some.

16 minutes ago, Cuddles said:

Hell, I've only played about 4 hours and my auras comfortably last a full 5 wives and some.

It's not really an issue until you play survival. Wave 15+ and your traps/auras will go down on every wave without repairs. And that's with pretty much every point specced into fortify too.

10 hours ago, spuddy said:

I know this is only a beta, but seriously. Gameplay sucks. Where's the in-game forge? Building is slower because of a change in how to place traps. This was marketed as a return to the DD1 style. Instead it feels like DD2. Epic fail. Uninstalled. I hope the actual release is fixed. Not impressed.

??? It doesn't feel like DD2 at all except the mana mechanics, which are honestly better.

The forge will return but it's not in the beta. This was specifically addressed in an official post listing what is and isn't in the beta. (In fact it is the "please read before posting feedback" thread that you don't appear to have read.)

18 minutes ago, VillainousTaco said:

It's not really an issue until you play survival. Wave 15+ and your traps/auras will go down on every wave without repairs. And that's with pretty much every point specced into fortify too.

This isn't really anything new until you reach deep into endgame in DD1. We only have easy ~ insane difficulty. We don't have Nightmare or the new mode yet. We don't have thousands of stats. the stat scaling legitimately feels similar to DD1 and we simply don't have the kind of stats that produce huge HP auras and traps that will never go down.

1 minute ago, Alhanalem said:

This isn't really anything new until you reach deep into endgame in DD1. We only have easy ~ insane difficulty. We don't have Nightmare or the new mode yet. We don't have thousands of stats. the stat scaling legitimately feels similar to DD1 and we simply don't have the kind of stats that produce huge HP auras and traps that will never go down.

The limited mana is what makes it a problem. Even with 2000 enemies in a wave you're only getting like 500-700 mana total. And then 300+ of that is going to repairing. If you're running auras and traps it's more like 400-500 of your mana is going to repairing and you have to repair multiple times in a single wave. It's ridiculous. And again this is with nearly all points specced into fortify. I have 135 fortify on my monk and I'm repairing auras twice a wave at wave 15. I'm not asking for invincible auras and traps but their current state isn't good.

• Like 1

The mana situation is something I think will change, as even for the early game we definitely have less mana than before. By the time you reach a high enough level to do full upgrades, you would be able to fully upgrade at least some of your defenses, and right now that doesn't seem realistic.

2 hours ago, Dumme ツ said:

About the beta, Anyone lost all the character after finish a map?

Not me, but somebody I was playing with told me all his characters and items were just removed from existence so he had to grind again.

While i was doing survival the game froze, i closed it and logged back in to find all my characters still there but their items gone, they were the same level. 

This seems to be a common bug thats been reported a few times. 

5 hours ago, VillainousTaco said:

Your also doing wave 15 with at beat insane gear. Once your in nightmare+ you'll have the gear to cover your towers health.

Repairing auras I think is made worse with the poor targeting ive lost a few maps due to not being able to target the right aura. I feel like I should also remind people that if they were doing DD1 and trying to do insane survival at lvl 40 you wouldnt get very far. Progression seems allot faster than I think it will be and perhaps is giving people a false sense of what they should be able to do. at their level. Until the full release we wont know what levels and gear will be needed to complete survivals in any difficulty.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dizzydiana said:

Repairing auras I think is made worse with the poor targeting ive lost a few maps due to not being able to target the right aura

Instead of trying to look at the physical aura on the ground, if you look above it there are icons of the auras, when looking at them you can very easily repair and upgrade when they are stacked on each other as the icons do not overlap like the circles on the ground.

If thats difficult to understand i can log in and take pictures tomorrow  (its late im off to bed now xD)