catsik

DDA Heroes look terrible

https://twitter.com/Chromatic_Games/status/1196903951259623425
They showcased the heroes on twitter today and they look absolutely terrible. Not sure where else to talk about it or voice my opinion on the matter. The characters just look so off, I was really hoping the banner art was just that, banner art. The game doesn't come out for a few more months so I hope it's just another sonic movie scenario. The majority of the official discord (and a large number of twitter replies) were voicing the same concerns over the current hero models (the crystal and mana are also bad but they're at least passable).

I was really sold from the announcement streams that this would be a lot closer to Dungeon Defenders 1, yet visually it somehow managers to look a lot worse.

Unfortunately, I share (mostly) the same opinion. It does seem like a strange blend of DD1 and DD2, especially those faces... For it me, the characters seem a little rushed and are lacking charm and character. I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh, but for someone that really cares for this franchise, I really want the best outcome - as I'm sure we all do!

Feedback needs to be provided as much as possible right now. Would love to hear feedback from Chromatic, just small snippets of info on what is happening. Just being open about their progress and keeping an open discussion with us.

However, on a more positive note, I think the environments/maps are looking great!! 

• Like 1

I'm hoping we hear something really soon about when the beta will be - then I feel like a lot more detailed feedback can be provided once we can all get our hands on how things generally feel after playtesting. I'm 'meh' on them at the moment, but as with most other things I'll provide most of my feedback whether good/bad once I can hop into the game. I'm just hoping that's really, really soon. 

• Like 2

I am not bothered by the new designs as much as others. Are they the best models ever? No, but I'm not sure what everyone was expecting. They have been developing the game for maybe a year from concept stage. There may yet be more finishing touched to be applied to the models between now and release. Also those pictures may just be how they appear on Switch with the lowest settings and might look allot better elsewhere. So far all their "in game" stuff they have shown off seems to be on the Switch which does have the least power of all the platforms. I would urge people to wait until they actually get their hands on the game and see how it looks for them. My focus has been on the actual gameplay, game mechanics, lagging with X no of mobs, loot vs progression. If those things dont feel good to me then I will be upset. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dcex1 said:

Unfortunately, I share (mostly) the same opinion. It does seem like a strange blend of DD1 and DD2, especially those faces... For it me, the characters seem a little rushed and are lacking charm and character. I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh, but for someone that really cares for this franchise, I really want the best outcome - as I'm sure we all do!

Feedback needs to be provided as much as possible right now. Would love to hear feedback from Chromatic, just small snippets of info on what is happening. Just being open about their progress and keeping an open discussion with us.

However, on a more positive note, I think the environments/maps are looking great!! 

Yeah I'm in the same page as you, I don't want to sound like a detractor, I genuinely want the game to be as great as possible. I think the maps look amazing, and the towers that I've seen look great too. Its just the models really let me down, like the huntresses neck & teeth, and the squire/monks face in general (lucky you barely have to see the front while you play). It's also a thing to note that the heroes don't seem to cast any shadow, I'm guessing it's because the images are from the switch version like someone else here pointed out. 

I also believe Chromatic needs stronger communication with the people that actually backed the project (us), here's to hoping that happens when the beta comes out.

• Like 2

I like them.

Honestly I think the design is closer to DD1's cutscenes rather than the models themselves, except everyone is older. For example, the difference in headsize is the most obvious change.

As everyone is tall and lanky in DD2 as they are adults, I can see why people see the design here as a mixture of the two if they happen to be aged closer in between.

Not going to lie, I like the bigger heads better if they have gone back in time to "where it all began" but nothing really puts me 'off' of the designs.

It seems to me they don't look very good because of the lighting effects where the screenshots were taken. That said, I still think the Monk and Huntress look significantly better than their DD1 counterparts because to be completely honest I don't think it's possible to make worse models than those.

I'll wait to make full judgement till I see them in beta. The squire looks 2d in the picture (same problem I havee seen with apprentice tower) let's  see in the beta before making decisions 

Edited by vosh