Sign in to follow this  
Alhanalem

Future Mod Support

First, I know there's no way this is happening at launch or close to it. But nothing would excite me more than having mod support, so I could bring over my DD1 work to UE4 and DDA (and make it drain even more FPS! XD ) in the modern age.

I hope you're at least considering this as a future thing <3

Rainbow of Death anyone? <3

C8CBD9A29700A8CDD53168D4727801BB67E96BC4

• Like 3

I too hope at least for the ability to create maps in DDA. There are many talented individuals out there (not me xd) and some of the maps in the workshop are just amazing ( Helms Deep OMG!!!). As long as there is strong anti-cheat measures for loot I'd also be happy to open up modding for loot - could allow some neat colours and weapon designs. If I remeber correctly DDA will be client side like DD1 which would allow modding. My only concern is if modding is limited to just PC?  I know of a couple of games which allow modding on console too and I would like if it were possible for the mods to be at least publishable on console.

1 hour ago, dizzydiana said:

I too hope at least for the ability to create maps in DDA. There are many talented individuals out there (not me xd) and some of the maps in the workshop are just amazing ( Helms Deep OMG!!!). As long as there is strong anti-cheat measures for loot I'd also be happy to open up modding for loot - could allow some neat colours and weapon designs. If I remeber correctly DDA will be client side like DD1 which would allow modding. My only concern is if modding is limited to just PC?  I know of a couple of games which allow modding on console too and I would like if it were possible for the mods to be at least publishable on consol

Content creation could only realistifcally be done on PC, however, Unreal Tournament 3 (unreal engine 3) did have cross platform mod support, with some limitations. It was possible to create maps and mods that could be used on the PS3.

I wouldnt expect mods to be able to be created on console but I know with the likes of Survivng Mars (if we are looking for something more recent) some mods created on PC are usable on Xbox One. I am not as familiar with UE4 as you may be so if this isnt possible for console I understand. I just feel with cross saves being a thing and in time cross play mods only be available to use on PC would be a huge loss for the community.

33 minutes ago, dizzydiana said:

I wouldnt expect mods to be able to be created on console but I know with the likes of Survivng Mars (if we are looking for something more recent) some mods created on PC are usable on Xbox One. I am not as familiar with UE4 as you may be so if this isnt possible for console I understand. I just feel with cross saves being a thing and in time cross play mods only be available to use on PC would be a huge loss for the community.

The tools for making stuff in Unreal Engine require vastly more resources than the game you're creating for. They wouldn't run well on console hardware, which is why the tools aren't available on the consoles themselves- games are developed on PC for the console. An in-game editor would require a lot of work on the developers part while being far more limited in functionality.

Hard to say if anything will come of it. Nintendo is pretty strict, though, so it's hard to say if they'll allow it or not. And if Nintendo won't allow it, then the cross saves and potential future cross play may be an obstacle to official mods. That won't stop people from modding, of course, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for official mod support.

21 hours ago, Thorgonator said:

Hard to say if anything will come of it. Nintendo is pretty strict, though, so it's hard to say if they'll allow it or not. And if Nintendo won't allow it, then the cross saves and potential future cross play may be an obstacle to official mods. That won't stop people from modding, of course, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for official mod support.

It was a huge boon to the PC experience. I ended up spending thousands of "hours" in DD1 actually in the editor. I'd like to see mod support work for console but the inability to do so shouldn't prevent it from being a thing for PC. You just need the same ranked/open seperation that DD1 had.

The most likely form of mods you will see on a console version would be a developer curated package of mods through an Update or DLC. Which would mean a bit of extra work post launch, so unsure if they would wish to dedicate that time.

The other option, rarely seen, is to allow mods that can be baked into the save file, as we know saves can transfer, though this usually is reserved for mods that use in game assets. But really, modding on anything other than PC seems slim. As long as they don't activley block mods on PC, usually a modding scene will arise either way.

If they end up managing cross play at any point, it could go either way on wether they allow mods or not, as it is understandable to block something that could mess up the other versions, or to just block cross play if mods are activated. Cross save's would be easier to handle as modded saves are easier to detect and fail to upload or play without too much fuss.

There are ways to get mods working, but they would take quite a bit of effort on the developers part, or a decent agreement with the console owners. So I wouldn't expect it, but modding would be nice.

8 hours ago, LemonyNebula said:

The other option, rarely seen, is to allow mods that can be baked into the save file

Associating custom maps and mods with a save file is a pretty terrible idea.

For UT3, all you ahd to do was cook your map or mod for console, put it on a USB stick and on the console version of the game there's an option on the menu to load mods. Most mods will work, with the exception that total conversions can't replace the title screen/main menu and due to the codec that was used on the PS3, custom sounds weren't possible, because it was a proprietary Sony thing that you had to have a license to use.

But again, mod support doesn't have to have parity, if the console makers don't want to allow it, that doesn't mean it can't be a thing for PC.

There are also pseudo-mod systems out there like the overwatch workshop, which offers a simple sort of "if, then" scripting system in addition to almost every variable about the heroes and game mode settings available to be changed for custom games.  They can be shared with a URL and can be used on non PC platforms. While you can't make entirely new levels this way, it does allow some pretty cool things to be set up. As far as I know, even the Switch version of Overwatch coming out shortly will support this.

55 minutes ago, Alhanalem said:

Associating custom maps and mods with a save file is a pretty terrible idea.

Yeah, that's why I said it's reserved for mods that use the in game assets. Look at divinity original sin 2 on the switch. You can use some mods if they only use stuff already in the game via the cross save. Such as the one that allows you to have more players than normal, or a save that changes some of the map or items around.

Anything not vanilla just won't load. We don't see modding on console much at all.

You know there's actually even been a few MMOs that at one time had mod features. In Star Trek Online and another game from the same studio, there was a custom adventure system where you could pick any location, and basically populate it with any ingame assets, any enemies, NPCs etc in the game and you could share them with other people and play them, surprisingly you could still earn rewards, items, xp etc from doing these things, to encourage people to try it. Ultimately though, the feature had to be dropped later on- not because the feature was being abused or anything, far from it in fact; but rather because it was taking an increasingly large amount of time with every game update for them to ensure compatibility for all the assets they add, and to make sure existing creations aren't broken by the changes. So they cut the feature so that they had more time to produce official content in patches.  But all the content creators and the people who played their stuff all got lasting recognition for their participation.