Sign in to follow this  
dizzydiana

Pure Strategy in DDA

Firstly let me just say how excited I am that Pure Strategy is returning for DDA. There is just one thing though, please make loot drops appropriate for the level of difficulty. I love Pure Strategy, but hated the fact loot were so much lower than any other mode, eg in NMPS drops would be about the same as Insane if you were lucky. I understand that in some ways it isnt as difficult as survival there is no way to increase the loot drops with mix mode or hardcore. The drops in DD1 in NMPS just make it a total waste of time to farm except for Tavern Defence for XP. I would dearly love Pure Strategy to at least give the same as regular survival without the modifiers and make it more worth while to play.

• Like 2

I have to be honest here, I'm confused about this. Pure Strategy is a mode in which your defenses do everything and the hero and pets can't do anything. So by definition, this is all of DD2 at the moment. This also would have to be easier than any other type of play because you are subtracting the hero and pets from action so your defenses are going to be overpowered to complete the mode. Why would it drop loot better than what you already have if you are beating something that you are already better equipped for? This is also probably the most boring type of play because once you start you just go make a sandwich and watch Netflix. If anything I hope the whole game doesn't eventually become this just like DD1 and DD2 did.

I am not sure if you are confused in what i am asking for or not. I realise the equipment needed to complete some maps in NM are actually higher than can drop, I am not asking for drops in general to be increased. Lets say I want to do some Insane Survival in the Throne Room, I will get some Mythic gear dropped wave around wave 18 I then go back to the same map in Pure Strategy in Insane and the drops are around Legendary at best, which I would get just doing a regular Hard Survival. I fail to see how this is fair? Or for the same map in NM survival I will get Mythical from the third wave then Trans pieces dropping around wave 19 in Strategy I will see at best Godly until 22 then maybe a Mythic piece or 2 per wave. The pets are also set lower. Why on earth would anyone complete the map in Strategy there seems no point unless your a completionist. With even gear from NMMMHC survival dropped in that map you probably wouldnt even reach wave 25 in NMPS so I dont see how I would be overpowered unless I was sitting in capped Trans/Supreme gear which would make the whole map a complete waste of time.

Edited by dizzydiana

The only initial reason i got into DD1 was the TD aspects, not the run and gun ones. I loved pure strategy because it got back to the TD roots without relying on outside sources, and you could really hone in on def placement.

However, once i beat a PS stage, there was not much reason to ever play that mode or style again. In a grinding game, you can't afford to spend time doing what you like, if you want to progress with any decent speed. 

• Like 1

The thing I was more homing in on was the relative difficulty and level of gear you will have. If something is challenging and at level with you in a normal match and you are jumping around with a pet over your shoulder, then you have Defenses + Hero + Pet doing damage. If you strip away Hero and Pet and are left with only defenses then you just lost a pretty good portion of your potential damage, multiplied by party members. If it was a challenge before then you are now losing because defenses wouldn't be enough.

To offset that you need to overgear your defenses to have them cover for the missing damage that you and the pet were doing. This is where the drops will be concerned, you will most likely be above what the current average drops will be in order to complete the map. On the inverse, they could also make the mode easier by reducing the enemies damage, hp and speed, but that means its easier than any other part of the game. In either case I don't know why anyone would expect the same progression from that as players who play the normal part of the game.

The other point I kind of touched on was, this game mode is basically what both previous games turned into. At the end of when I played DD1 all it was is place defenses and wait. There really wasn't much for the player to do because everything was so absurdly powerful. In DD2, the meta has become so bad that you just need to wait for enemies to die because they can't get past the perma-stun defenses. Both of these has led to a very boring gameplay, or "game not play" if you will.

In a normal tower defense game, you don't start with the ability to fill out your defense, you gain that through killing the weaker waves and they ramp up as you place/upgrade more. DD games are built around having a hero and a full defense at the start. Also in normal TD games you don't worry about repairs because enemies are not going to attack them, they are just pathing from one spot to the next. I don't think its even fair to call this a TD game, it really is designed completely as an Action TD.

• Like 1

I feel you are arguing more against the mode in general than the level of loot. I understand that there are some who dont like Pure Strategy and I agree its not for everyone. I view Pure Strategy as a way to test my build and defences or to level up builders/ new heroes. I just get frustrated that the rewards are so pathetic in comparison to even running the map normally (not survival), even the pets that drop are not worth your while. I just dont see how it is fair that loot in PS is at least one full level of difficulty lower than what you are playing. Keeping Hardcore and Mixed Mode only to Survival is fine and having those increase loot quality there all i ask is that loot in PS reflect regular Survival without those modifiers. That way I might gain something even if it is just decent currency gain from selling the loot.

• Like 1

While I like the idea that Pure Strategy is back, I also feel I must echo that the drops should be lesser than those of other modes. Pure Strategy is basically for little more than testing out builds and going AFK. I think the rewards *SHOULD* be less than other game modes. The mode that most encourages not actually being present during gameplay is the mode that should offer the most stunted rewards. If the rewards were worth grinding for endgame players, then AFK would become the new method of play, and I just can't get behind that. DD2 already has a problem with a lot of the "top tier" players using macros to grind. Having good rewards in pure strategy would just exacerbate the issue.

• Like 1