ErrorMDG

Lavamancer

Just depends on what you need really. Other than Volcano for fun, I just use Fissure, for frost lanes. Nothing special there, DR, Destruction, Deadly Strikes for shards, along with DR, anti orc, anti mele work well for me. (Stacking all the DR is so frosties slow it down to normal attack speed instead of to a crawl. Anti frost is another option, but anti mele and anti orc make it a bit more flexible.

• Thanks 1

Embermount Flames mod makes the enemies that walk over the fissure take damage as though they're still on it. E.g. Place 6 fissures at spawn and watch the mobs take 6x defense damage continuously throughout their journey to the objective :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Embermount Flames mod makes the enemies that walk over the fissure take damage as though they're still on it. E.g. Place 6 fissures at spawn and watch the mobs take 6x defense damage continuously throughout their journey to the objective :)

This mod has some severe issues that make it not nearly as good as you describe. If it was just that good then it would be amazing but it doesn't quite perform that well.

• If they die inside the Fissure, then the mod didn't do anything and any other mod is better
  • If they die very shortly after the Fissure, then another mod could kill them faster inside the Fissure
  • If they burn for long after the Fissure, then the Fissures itself stops working because each burning enemy counts towards the target limit

Unfortunately, these things combined hurt the usefulness of this mod greatly. If there is a situation where this mod shines, it would be so specific that I don't think I personally would use the time to gild shards for it or the mats to make the relic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lavamancer should be the last in line to be acquired over the premium heroes with defenses (adept is just the wizard with a not effective anti air tower as extra so is pretty much counts as no defense hero as the initiate is a monk on that regard)

The hero as a combatant doesnt have a good kit to do high dmg on long or short amount of time and is very dependent on mana to use his abilities.

Fissure is a slight different box standard flame aura , volcano is a tower that sadly isnt worth the du for any non enhanced build and the maw of earthdrake is a block that lost his newly utility with petrify for his du as they changed to not taunt which makes mobs target the petrified enemy (he always had petrify but the cost was lowered from 60 to 40 i believe)

The only thing thas is different and usefull is the oil geyser with his shard of stun % and the fact that is considered earth dmg making possible to do cheap setups of petrify/stun in the front line with exp trap or towers like pdt/hamster.

Oil geyser would a very strong defense if the most annoying mobs wasnt immune to slow but still can give a big help for 20 du.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Exglint said:

This mod has some severe issues that make it not nearly as good as you describe. If it was just that good then it would be amazing but it doesn't quite perform that well.

• If they die inside the Fissure, then the mod didn't do anything and any other mod is better
  • If they die very shortly after the Fissure, then another mod could kill them faster inside the Fissure
  • If they burn for long after the Fissure, then the Fissures itself stops working because each burning enemy counts towards the target limit

Unfortunately, these things combined hurt the usefulness of this mod greatly. If there is a situation where this mod shines, it would be so specific that I don't think I personally would use the time to gild shards for it or the mats to make the relic.

Nice analysis that I'd not considered before. 

imo lavamancer is practical counter of frost, equip it with any shard and mod that counters with frost enemies, I guarantee you it will make frost lane easier. Cheers

On 9/28/2019 at 3:52 PM, Exglint said:

You also neglected to mention that it can only affect ground enemies. Kobolts and Dark Assassins are ignored, making it a bit of a detriment for Chaos 7 farming. 

I use the Embermounts myself with a T10 Tenacity and Flames mod and the cons you mention don't really bother me as much as one would think., but I have different concerns.

For the first 2 scenarios, largely Warboars and Goblins die within range of the aura due to their slow speeds and low life pools. Every other normal monster tends to fall a little bit after with Drakin and Orcs taking the longest to fall. I feel the first two issues aren't really issues in my book and make it still worth a Servo slot and 30 DU.

It's when we start adding Frosties, Chaos and the Minibosses that we begin to worry about the real issue: The 3rd point. Vanguards fall like flies but Lady Orcs, Geodes and Hex Throwers do take some time before the burns finally down them without assistance and as you said: You consume 1 target to continue the burn effect. You also run the risk of Cybork stunning them without a T10 C8 Tenacity or you get their range high enough and place them out of reach. 

Although Frost take double damage before Anti-X mods are applied, most ONS with these spawn in droves (which won't tag all of them) and there is another issue that hinders the aura: If a Frost Orc slows the Fissure itself, then all burn rates get reduced. 

As for minibosses, the real problem is if it tags a Siege Roller, which reduces the damage to 10%. Although for High Rollers you would avoid building these, there are some cases High Rollers intersects with another or a Siege Roller is the boss choice for that lane. The only possible reason to burn them would be so you can oil them if you are facing Pile Ons. As for everything else, it is still nice damage assistance, especially if you tag a Drakenlord as it saves a step for igniting them and Yetis.

It is still worth the servo and 30 DU if you work around it's weaknesses.

===================================

With the original topic, you can save yourself a Burning Strikes Shard if you get an Oil Chip on his blade. Any time he erupts lava in his attack combo, that does Fire damage, which inflicts instant ignites. This can be helpful when fighting Drakenlord or doing Drakenlord Keep. If you don't commit the full attack combo, you can at least apply Oil so that Controlled Burn can be tagged for damage. This opens up a shard for support things like Pumpkinator or Sundering Blow.

If you are doing an AP based one, having Cataclysms and Lava Floors helps immensely.

Edited by ChrisH36