Sign in to follow this  
Little Magic Hat

Fix Hornets By Turning Into Aura

Hornets are bugged AF and have never been fixed, and I doubt you guys have the capacity to figure out what's going on with them and actually fix it at this point (or in the future).

Please consider turning hornets into an aura with reduced dmg scaling (to offset their increase from 3 targets to 10), minimum distance build similar to FA/Fissure, and similar range to WM / Blaze Balloon.

Their corrupt version could see them increase their crit chance.

That would remove any viability they have remaining, though, since in high floors, the trees would have to be placed closer to the enemy spawns, and towers die if a kobold so kuch as sneezes once you start getting up there. They're still viable as is in the low hundreds, changing them to an aura would make them virtually unusable beyond chaos 7.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thorgonator said:

since in high floors, the trees would have to be placed closer to the enemy spawns

I never built my trees within line of sight of any mobs - preferring to hide them behind map objects and capitalising on its huge range. What makes you say they would need to be placed closer to enemy spawns?

As they are now, bees are unreliable even in Chaos 7 with their bugged behaviour.

Edited by Little Magic Hat

1 minute ago, Little Magic Hat said:

I never built my trees within line of sight of any mobs - preferring to hide them behind map objects and capitalising on its huge range. What makes you say they would need to be placed closer to enemy 

When you mentioned them becoming an aura with a minimum distance thing, I assumed you meant they would lose the ridiculously high range they currently boast, which would require trees being placed much closer than normal. But if you're implying that they should keep their absurd range while still being an aura, then even with a damage cut, they could resume the domination of the meta that they had for quite some time. All a player would have to do is not equip any range boosting abilities, place a crapton of them, and then equip all the appropriate range boosting gear after they've been placed. That same trick can already be used to stack more auras or WMs than should normally be possible. I like that they're a unique tower, and I don't even mind the 3-bees-per-target rule they currently observe. I think fixing them as opposed to repurposing them is the way to go. They're still great at single target DPS, anyway.

• Like 1

The tree aura range was always plenty to build bees close enough to hit spawn even without any range bonus on the bees themselves. 

I'd much rather they be fixed as you say because I enjoy their unique mechanic, just as you, but how likely is it to happen given they were never fixed in all this time since they were broken (even under Trendy before the Chromatic shift)? 

Edited by Little Magic Hat

I miss Dryad. Played so much with her when she was meta. Then a targeting change, and a meta shift, and now she only collects dust. If Dryad is not my central build choice, it's not often that i pull her out for any supplemental defs. Sad...id love for her to be somewhat viable again. Maybe it's time to ditch the whole tree mechanic. Made more sense when meta, but now just seems a hindrance and extra du cost. No other hero has such a def stipulation.

However, some heroes have yet to ever see the meta spotlight. Love to see huntress traps or mystic defs play top role for once. LavaM too. I mean they are always there, but not top tier like Monk, Dryad, EV2 have become.

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

I miss Dryad. Played so much with her when she was meta. Then a targeting change, and a meta shift, and now she only collects dust. If Dryad is not my central build choice, it's not often that i pull her out for any supplemental defs. Sad...id love for her to be somewhat viable again. Maybe it's time to ditch the whole tree mechanic. Made more sense when meta, but now just seems a hindrance and extra du cost. No other hero has such a def stipulation.

However, some heroes have yet to ever see the meta spotlight. Love to see huntress traps or mystic defs play top role for once. LavaM too. I mean they are always there, but not top tier like Monk, Dryad, EV2 have become.

Yeah, I'd love to do away with the need for trees, she just doesn't work because of that. Which is a shame, because Bees and Nimbus could still be usable were it not for the mandatory 20 DU required to also place trees. It also makes her unusable for most of Mastery. At 30 and 60 du respectively, they would be fine, but that extra 20 makes them too expensive. THAT would be the ideal way to fix the Dryad's towers, imo. The only thing the trees themselves are good for at the moment is slowing down enemies in prime power surge.

Also, there was a short time during Nightmare when Lavamancer WAS the best character. Originally, volcanoes had significantly higher DPS than most other towers, and by putting 4 in your hero deck, dropping them in the middle of a map, putting up a couple fissures,  and spamming eruption, you could annihilate any map even faster than pre-nerf PDTs. They wouldnt even make it out of the spawn gates. Also a short time during early protean, before they made fissures function as a proper aura, they could be stacked almost on top of each other and couldn't be stunned. They were broken as hell for a bit.

Edited by Thorgonator
  • Like 2

Only downside to explosive Traps are Cyborks who hit them outside the trigger radius (thus takes longer to kill them) :< otherwise they're awesome with either a WM or dual elemental protons.

Posted (edited)

To fully experience the devastating nature of the Dryad, you have to be in Corrupt form. While in corrupt form you cannot heal yourself. The tree will heal you, as well as allies, plus increase your crit chance...can use blockade shards as well. Proper placement of the bees, coupled with the right mods/shards, gives the bees predictable targetting. A while back, when Jose and Lawlta were in a dev stream, they were talking about the rumor of the hornets having a nerf incoming. Lawlta stated that it isn't actually a nerf, but an improvement, in a way. He ended up being right. Treat them like a single-targetting tower. Place them as such and build them to your war style. I put a guilded Defense Rate, vicious strikes, and mass destruction on them. As for the mods, I'll tell you later. The absolute key to their destruction is placement. Hornets, in corrupt form, are amazing.

Edited by ArchaicLotus