Aheadatlme

The heroes faces..

..seem kind of ugly to me. I don't know if this is a rough draft of their artwork, and I mean no disrespect to the artists at chromatic, but man.. lol they all look like late-night cartoon versions of 45-year-olds trapped in children's bodies. 

• Like 1

Well, they have been children for quite a few years now. More like man-child ūüėÜ

• Haha 2

On 8/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, Aheadatlme said:

..seem kind of ugly to me. I don't know if this is a rough draft of their artwork, and I mean no disrespect to the artists at chromatic, but man.. lol they all look like late-night cartoon versions of 45-year-olds trapped in children's bodies. 

This is how they originally looked, all the media of DD1 prior to the actual gameplay depicted the characters like this, as do all the ingame cutscenes. But the actual character models ended up looking considerably different- so I figure they wanted to bring the in-game look closer to the original vision.

47 minutes ago, Alhanalem said:

This is how they originally looked, all the media of DD1 prior to the actual gameplay depicted the characters like this, as do all the ingame cutscenes. But the actual character models ended up looking considerably different- so I figure they wanted to bring the in-game look closer to the original vision.

I think so too. In DD1 the heroes and maps had a more cartoony appearance than the more refined DD2 look. It seems that they are trying to do some sort of mix of both, with it being a little closer to the original. This has kinda ended up with some DD1 players feeling its "lost its charm" and some Dd2 players feeling "its too kiddy". I actually like the new look, perhaps because I like both the Dd1 and the Dd2 versions.

1 hour ago, dizzydiana said:

I think so too. In DD1 the heroes and maps had a more cartoony appearance than the more refined DD2 look. It seems that they are trying to do some sort of mix of both, with it being a little closer to the original. This has kinda ended up with some DD1 players feeling its "lost its charm" and some Dd2 players feeling "its too kiddy". I actually like the new look, perhaps because I like both the Dd1 and the Dd2 versions.

I just hope, if they're gonna keep some of the designs from DD1, they finally get a fix on these ages for the characters. If Huntress is still gonna be donning a midriff at least age her up to make it less weird. We no longer have any of the...gross factors that pervaded the previous version of the game, let's finally fix that entire mess

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FrankJohnson96 said:

I just hope, if they're gonna keep some of the designs from DD1, they finally get a fix on these ages for the characters. If Huntress is still gonna be donning a midriff at least age her up to make it less weird. We no longer have any of the...gross factors that pervaded the previous version of the game, let's finally fix that entire mess

Basically I'm saying if this is a time travel story that will change the course of the story as they say, they have the means

One thing I had not really considered until now is what if BOTH the adult and child versions of the heroes are in DDA?? If the heroes travel back in time we got to see the adult version somewhere in game right? 

2 minutes ago, dizzydiana said:

One thing I had not really considered until now is what if BOTH the adult and child versions of the heroes are in DDA?? If the heroes travel back in time we got to see the adult version somewhere in game right? 

I believe the idea is more the older counterparts from DD2 are being change into their younger counterparts from DD1

2 minutes ago, FrankJohnson96 said:

I believe the idea is more the older counterparts from DD2 are being change into their younger counterparts from DD1

unless you meant the parents, in which case maybe?

Perhaps you are right that they get transformed into their younger selves. I didnt mind the huntress design in DD1 (maybe as where i am many teenagers even myself back in the day would dress similar). The apprentice bugged me most as you never got to see his face he reminded me of a toddler trying to wear wearing an adult sized helmet. yet to this day my favourite hero will always be the apprentice and spamming Mana Bomb shouting at my screen/tv - "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dizzydiana said:

Perhaps you are right that they get transformed into their younger selves. I didnt mind the huntress design in DD1 (maybe as where i am many teenagers even myself back in the day would dress similar). The apprentice bugged me most as you never got to see his face he reminded me of a toddler trying to wear wearing an adult sized helmet. yet to this day my favourite hero will always be the apprentice and spamming Mana Bomb shouting at my screen/tv - "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!"

I guess it's more with the knowledge I have now of why that design for huntress was the way it was, I'd rather they just cut their losses and just make at least some of them older. If you have to come up something for why they're shorter that's fine

Posted (edited)

I actually liked this version better and I'm quite glad it happened. One of the reason I wasn't hyped for DDA was due to the kickstarter poster depicting the heroes exactly how DD1 gameplay looks and I really disliked that as they just looked terrible to me. I remember looking at the DDE poster and DD1 cutscenes and I question why the heck the heroes looked quite different in gameplay.

StilI, totally wouldn't mind and it would be dope too, if several costumes of the heroes were in the grown-up size as I started in DD2 so I don't really have any nostalgia for the small bobby-headed heroes.

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

After thinking "no way, DD1 characters are way better", I launched DD1 and checked all the characters and can actually see where you guys are coming from. Some of the characters you guys complained about actually have pretty neat skins though.

The one thing I really disliked in DD2 is how skinny most of them are. example : https://wiki.dungeondefenders2.com/images/4/40/Apprentice_Standard_Garb_View.png

Edited by Windex

I really like them. They are respective of the original game and still give the same feeling, without being exactly the same.

In fact, it was very much what I wanted.

The oooonly slight question that I would have, is what exactly is the Squire? Because that helmet mouth.. oh god! why does nobody mention the helmet mouth!?

(It's great really, adds character and expressions that you couldn't get out of the old squire model and is exactly as he was in the DD1 cutscenes :classic_wink:)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Exglint said:

Not thin, just no longer wearing 7 pairs of clothes

If you zoom you can easily see hes got little sticks for legs and arms but sure.

Edited by Windex