fester420

Switch timed console exclusive?

So I just read on IGN that DD:A is a switch timed console exclusive, if this is correct, will people getting it for the ps4 and Xbox have to wait a lot longer than those getting it on switch?  

Cool, more funding for the game to be the best it can be and we still all get our hands on it. (albeit different times)

Now they can reach those missed out Flex goals, right guys?

We are so happy about our partnership with Nintendo, and what it means for the future of the studio and future projects. With that being said, DDA will be a timed console exclusive, and we will be announcing more details on the XBox/PS4 release dates soon. PC will not be affected by this.

We will be releasing an official communication very shortly, but yes the game was delayed until 2020 to make sure that we are able to deliver on the high expectations we have for the game and to make sure the game is perfect for years of support.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. Firstly why oh why does it seem impossible for chromatic to give information before we find out elsewhere? This is getting real old real fast, the only seem to respond AFTER we find out something and then go on here to talk about it - end of rant. So for console players for a month or whatever only Switch will be available. My guess on this its probably due to the help they have received from Nintendo to develop the game to be able to play on the Switch so fair enough. It would be nice however if they can clear up how long the time will be, for all we know it could be 6 months or more. I am also a little disappointed it got pushed back to February next year, but hopefully that means a better finished game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dizzydiana said:

but hopefully that means a better finished game.

Yeah, this is the crux of it. The delay means more time, and the nintendo deal should mean more money, which overall should mean a better end product.

It sucks we have to wait, it sucks some have to wait even longer than that, but most of us as backers probably are fine with a little longer wait time for a better game.

The only thing I wish, is it wasn't announced on a trailer out of the blue. I mean they don't give the speediest of updates as is, so to spring important information like that with no words to the people who supported since the start feels a bit scummy.

However, there is probably reasons such as never announcing a deal before it has been arranged, and nintendo wanting to have a big reveal announcement rather than a bunch of us kickstarter backers hearing it first and the info just spilling out less dramatically.

I can see this annoying a few people, but I hope it is considered how helpful this could be for us in the long run product quality wise. Heres hoping their next kickstarter update explains more about what they get out from this, such as maybe a few of those stretch goals we didn't reach, or more future content and so on.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, LemonyNebula said:

The only thing I wish, is it wasn't announced on a trailer out of the blue. I mean they don't give the speediest of updates as is, so to spring important information like that with no words to the people who supported since the start feels a bit scummy.

However, there is probably reasons such as never announcing a deal before it has been arranged, and nintendo wanting to have a big reveal announcement rather than a bunch of us kickstarter backers hearing it first and the info just spilling out less dramatically.

I can see this annoying a few people, but I hope it is considered how helpful this could be for us in the long run product quality wise. Heres hoping their next kickstarter update explains more about what they get out from this, such as maybe a few of those stretch goals we didn't reach, or more future content and so on.

The thing is if this was the only time they didnt give us advance notice of something I would be allot more sympathetic but its not. With the whole delivery charges thing they waited until we complained and even then it was a while before they officially responded. Then there were many gaps in communication with keeping us updated with how they were getting on. They seem to be lacking in having someone with PR experience or at least decent experience in communication. They really need to start getting ahead with releasing information rather than address it AFTER people get it from elsewhere. I personally dont mind them having it a timed exclusive for switch and having to wait to play it on my PS4 as I can see how that may of helped them with finance or programming. I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt in how my backer money is being used and what the end product might be. In total I have gave CG $170 in the hope of a good game and even with my frustration of their lack of communication I am genuinely looking forward to DDA. All I have asked for in many posts is that they start being more proactive towards backers to help reassure us that our money was well spent.

Edited by dizzydiana
spelling
  • Like 4

Just now, dizzydiana said:

They seem to be lacking in having someone with PR experience or at least decent experience in communication.

This. Very much. My professional business side weeps watching how much of this is handled. Has gotten worse from TE to CG too... 

If you better drive perceptions, you will face much less backlash on pretty much everything. We don't mind delays as much as we do how and when we are told. Many of us have known Oct was not likely happening for a while on the forums, long before any announcement. Stop being reactive and get proactive is my advice. 

One central place for news, not 10 social media sites, were info on DDA breaks first from CG. Regular updates, even if that update is "nothing new". That is what i wish for. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, dizzydiana said:

The thing is if this was the only time they didnt give us advance notice of something I would be allot more sympathetic but its not. With the whole delivery charges thing they waited until we complained and even then it was a while before the officially responded. Then here were many gaps in communication with keeping us updated with how they were getting on. They seem to be lacking in having someone with PR experience or at least decent experience in communication. They really need to start getting ahead with releasing information rather than address it AFTER people get it from elsewhere. I personally dont mind them having it a timed exclusive for switch and having to wait to play it on my PS4 as I can see how that may of helped them with finance or programming. I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt in how my backer money is being used and what the end product might be. In total I have gave CG $170 in the hope of a good game and even with my frustration of their lack of communication I am genuinely looking forward to DDA. All I have asked for in many posts is that they start being more proactive towards backers to help reassure us that our money was well spent.

Oh yeah I can totally agree with that, as I said, it feels scummy. Especially after all the delivery stuff, that really irked me.  They need to keep us in the loop and converse more. Clarity is everything.

Just trying to put the positives forward. As you say, you are still exited for the game and we all are, so it doesn't hurt to look on the bright side.

However.

After seeing their kickstarter update I feel like its still going to be handled pretty poorly. They haven't really said more about it and went nowhere into the benefits it brings to the game itself. Sure they say about the delay giving more time to the developers to ensure they are not overworked, as well as ensuring the game is complete... but that isn't really in question. They hardly mention the timed exclusivity deal with nintendo that they opened with, just that it will help "polish" it.

I want to hear wether they intend to give us more content or future support, characters, levels, items, a load of possible things. If our funding would have been enough for those goals we didnt quite make, sureley other avenues should be able to do so too.

We have heard nothing, so they have got to give us a bit more than a paragraph with no real information on either the benefits of the deal or a release date for the other platforms.

The joke about 'never releasing it on the other consoles' is a bit in poor taste too when people are litterally hearing about it for the first time and probably won't be too happy about it. I'm sure feeling like they are being treated like a second class when they went out of their way to back the game the same as the others hurts.

They are bad at this.

I hope they will at least be good at making the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it must be difficult having developers trying to do PR for things like this. I am sure they are feeling pretty proud of all their animations and map design and want to show it off. If I had spent weeks or months designing something I am sure going to want to flaunt it every opportunity. The problem lies in the fact that they are not trained in PR and how to convey information in a way that puts them in the best light possible. I dont think they are malicious in intent, just lacking in publicity experience. They really need to hire someone dedicated to PR who can point them in the right direction on how to handle communication and when/ what information to release. I try to be fair to them as I know they are excited about their project and dont always think about how they are perceived by those who backed or pre-ordered. Being as reactive as they are and not giving us heads up information of what we feel is important information only leads to backlash and distrust of them as a company.  Perhaps they were not sure what to say about the timed exclusive to avoid the backlash like those who choose the EPIC store exclusivity? It would be nice though if they could at least give us an idea how long this exclusive will last. I keep hoping they will learn from their mistakes with how they handle information, but they keep disappointing me. Please CG please realise I am not trying to be vitriolic, I want you to succeed, but you really got to start getting a handle on communication before you drive everyone away.

• Like 2

The exclusivity hurt the consumers but the publisher get a lot of money from it. I'll always buy thing at a discounted price but for DDA I was ready to put 75 dollars. I refunded after the delivery cost fiasco but I would also have refunded if they announced an exclusivity. And it's nice of them to accept to refund the backers, you can see in the Kickstarter comment that there are ready to refund after the exclusivity deal.

If Nintendo think DDA is a good exclusive I'm sure EPIC think the same and want the exclusivity. CG said the game will release on many store on PC but never said at the same time. Hope I'm wrong.

And yes the "joke" in the news about never releasing on Xbox and PlayStation is bad, you want people to laugh about it but I'm sure no Xbox or Playstation players laughed. Stop making jokes. Every news, streams etc you say bad/stupid joke. That's why I don't watch the stream anymore, your are not funny. 

Anyways thanks for still accepting refund. And props to you for delaying the game, I said you needed more time and you took it.

BTW the console release was a flex goal to release at the same time. Doubt they will work on more flex goals 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

This. Very much. My professional business side weeps watching how much of this is handled. Has gotten worse from TE to CG too... 

If you better drive perceptions, you will face much less backlash on pretty much everything. We don't mind delays as much as we do how and when we are told. Many of us have known Oct was not likely happening for a while on the forums, long before any announcement. Stop being reactive and get proactive is my advice. 

One central place for news, not 10 social media sites, were info on DDA breaks first from CG. Regular updates, even if that update is "nothing new". That is what i wish for. 

Yeah, I would have to agree with this too. I do find it weird that other sites breaks the news first rather than the dev. It's their own game.

• Like 1

they really need someone in pr who actively engages on this forum and on the kickstarter page. it seems like informing the backers is literally the last thing on their minds. 

and while i find the 'timed exclusivity' annoying, i was already skeptical about playing DD on a console. i was a xb360 dd addict. i still to this day remember the crushing feeling i had when i realized that the consoles were an afterthought and pc was the only platform getting updated (i was a console only gamer at the time). so my key is meant for pc. 

i will say this though, if there is 'randomly' some epic store exclusivity deal that we hear about from Tim Sweeney first i definitely will be asking for my money back. 
though it will hurt my heart ... i'll simply wait for a steam release.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@cg_kyled I'm re-sending a post I made in a similar topic :

Would it really have not been possible to make an arrangement with Nintendo where everyone who kickstarted the game and are gonna claim their key for xbox/ps4 would get a code to access a beta build of some sort that only the kickstarters can play. There are only 11 343 backers (yeah some got multiple game keys) and let's be real, what % of those are gonna play on consoles? I'd say at most 35-40% will claim their keys on xbox/ps4. I doubt it would have hurt them to have 4-5k players across xbox/ps4 play DDA. I feel like they could still advertise it as Switch consoles timed exclusive if it's not even on the xbox/ps4 stores until the timed exclusive is over.

I understand if the timed exclusive is more than 2 months that you guys would want to focus on PC/Switch. But if the timed exclusive is something like a month, you would have to have a working xbox/ps4 build by the time the game is out on PC/Switch right? You could have let the backers who are gonna redeem their keys on xbox/ps4 play that early version at least.

-End of quote-

I remember waiting to see if the game would reach the goal to release on xbox1/ps4 at launch before kickstarting until it did. Then at some point you just removed the goal while saying in a message(s) that the game would come out on switch/xbox1/ps4 at launch.

There I was at some point defending you guys when people were posting about not wanting the game EGS exclusive on PC.

I really don't care about waiting for what ever amount of time longer since that only means a better game with probably more content. But the whole point of DD for me is the quest for better items and becoming more powerful. Since DDA will have cross-saves, we're gonna have OP players day 1.. That also probably means a ruined progression with strong items available from day 1 on xbox1/ps4 and most likely a ruined economy for most of the players who will be brand new. If you're not gonna do anything about not screwing over the people who backed expecting to be able to play at launch on xbox1/ps4 too, could you consider not having PC/Switch to Xbox1/Ps4 saves transfers for the first month or two? If you're not sure how people would feel about that, you could simply post a link to a poll in your next email update where ideally only the people with game keys for xbox1/ps4 can vote.

Edited by Windex
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Matthew974 said:

And it's nice of them to accept to refund the backers, you can see in the Kickstarter comment that there are ready to refund after the exclusivity deal.

I'm not okay with promising stuff to raise money from your fans and get your project really going and then when it did and you're offered outside money you take it and screw over the ones who initially backed you up and simply refund the ones who cared the most.

I don't even remember reading a single "We're sorry" beside that terrible joke.

Edited by Windex
  • Like 2

We know that communication is important, but we try our very hardest to not release any information until it is 100% confirmed. We don't want to say one thing, and turn around a month later and say "Sorry, never mind". 

Nintendo also dictates a lot of what we can/cannot announce and when in regards to the game and release on their platform (including the exclusivity deal).  

If anyone ever has any questions/concerns, I try my best to respond to what I can (both legally and just in terms of knowledge) so don't hesitate to reach out.

I will also bring up the cross-saves concern, as this is definitely not something that crossed my mind. 

12 hours ago, Windex said:

I'm not okay with promising stuff to raise money from your fans and get your project really going and then when it did and you're offered outside money you take it and screw over the ones who initially backed you up and simply refund the ones who cared the most.

I don't even remember reading a single "We're sorry" beside that terrible joke.

I agree, It's still a shit move what they did but at least you can get a refund. Shenmue backers didn't get a refund at first and I don't know if they finally got it.

Looks like CG already refunded backers who asked a refund yesterday (it took me more than a week to get my refund). Once again devs (not only CG) use Kickstarter to start the project promising stuff then hit the backers in the back with exclusivity.

• Like 1