Sign in to follow this  
oliwaltony

Mastery is crap

Posted (edited)

Title mostly says it all, but I'll explain further. More difficulty, less rewards, bugged and stupid challenges (the diversity challenge doesnt work 33% of the time, I can build 20 different tower and it still gonna show as failed). Seriously, make it more rewarding, cause its not worth grinding. Ever the hypershards arent worth raging on a glitched map that makes you fail for no reason other than a bad programmation. 

Edited by RaNgErZ-BERT
Mod edit

i use automation ,vicious strikes, disruptive pylon and mass destruction alot  but it is a slow grind / its way easier now than it was when it first came out /just take a few breaks and think about what setups to use helps alot 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playertt said:

i use automation ,vicious strikes, disruptive pylon and mass destruction alot  but it is a slow grind / its way easier now than it was when it first came out /just take a few breaks and think about what setups to use helps alot 

The problem isnt the setup. Most of the time the build itself is perfect, but their "objectives" glitches all the time and sometimes pop out as failed without actually failing them. I know hypershards are good, but not enough to justify such a pain that is grinding this. Im doing it anyway, cause I want to complete the game 100%, and their challenges arent all "that hard", when they actually work. They dont most of the time, making it more frustrating than difficult to grind it. I dont mind the challenges, but I do mind that their objectives are glitchy and break all the time, almost always at wave 3-4, just to make it more infuriating as when their objectives breaks, you have to restart completly and lose your progress, you cant just restart waves because once the objective is broken, it'll break no matter what. So yeah, mastery is shitty.

• Like 1

I recently ran mastery over a short period of time to get the 680 stars. I don’t recall having any issues if it failed was normally my own fault for not following the rules or an auto pilot moment placing a tower :)

Worked as intended and the rewards are most definitely worthy of the grind. 

Keep at it :) I’m glad it’s not just given away and you are made to work for it. 

The fact you are raging at it means most be something rewarding to keep going at it ;)

1 hour ago, Switchblade said:

I recently ran mastery over a short period of time to get the 680 stars. I don’t recall having any issues if it failed was normally my own fault for not following the rules or an auto pilot moment placing a tower :)

Worked as intended and the rewards are most definitely worthy of the grind. 

Keep at it :) I’m glad it’s not just given away and you are made to work for it. 

The fact you are raging at it means most be something rewarding to keep going at it ;)

I have tons of footages of their objectives glitching. Like mentionned earlier, the diversity challenge doesnt work most of the time. I can build up to 20+ different tower, when I start the wave its pop as failed most of the time for no apparent reason. This is only the one that happen the most. Some other time I have 180 seconds to complete a wave, which I usually finish in 100 max, and even with a countdown of 70+ seconds left it sometimes pop out as failed. Same with 30 sec build phase, sometime I start the map and it auto fails me without waiting a single second. As I said, Im not complaining about difficulty, Im complaining about the mode being mostly broken and glitchy. Thats without talking about the teleport bug where you basically get teleported into the oblivion of etheria and lose your "no hero die" star.  For that level of BS, it should be far more rewarding. That or they have to fix their snizzles. Im glad you didnt experienced those bugs, but I did and other people I've played with also did, and it is unnacceptable. 

• Like 1

I have done it also and helped some friends , never seen those issues

I played mastery before and after the big MOD changes. The mode is definitely easier now due to MODs, but i did indeed encounter multiple glitches in objectives while playing. Especially the 10 def one - do not use 'replay from wave' as that what caused many fails on that mutator for me. It is buggy, can be frustratingly hard, endure many resets, and endless depths of frustration are to be had. However, once done, never have to touch it again (crazy poor replayability), and tbe hyper shards are soooooo worth it, at least until you do ap resets...

To each their own. I didn't play and beat Mastery until i was over 1000 ascension on my first playthrough. Mostly out of sheer freaking boredom led me to it. But now i have all stars...and wish i had something as interesting as mastery left to still play.

• Like 3

Don’t agree at all. I like mastery, but it is a really slow grind and challenges like Diversity are hard if you don’t have enough shards and heroes for it.

I’ve only got Mass Destruction and close to Visicous Strikes. I would like Destructive Plyon too. Just ain’t worth doing it until I’m done AP resetting. 

I will however say that the map loot is crap, so gold earnings, shards etc. while you are grinding is horrible. So mostly it’s for the mastery rewards.

Posted (edited)

So the title has nothing to do with what you're actually complaining about. 

It's easier to start at c7 mastery and use both rate mod and Shard and work backwards. You can skip perfect in the harder maps 30s build time eg and still get all the shards (just not all the flairs ) 

Edited by Little Magic Hat
  • Like 2

Only had one issue with the Diverse defence challenge but that was when I replay the wave. "Replay" never existed when Mastery came out so it's probably causing an issue, the simple solution is to restart the map. Take a break from Mastery, it can be frustrating and long but the main Hypershards you need is Mass Destruction & Vicious Strikes. You can get the other Hypershards later in time just sort out your defences for all of your heroes and give it another try. 

• Like 1

I'm only 3 Hyper Shards in but I have not run into any Mastery specific bugs yet on Xbox. I don't really like it all that much, I'm slogging through it slowly, a few maps here or there when I'm not working on anything else in particular. It was fun for a few dozen maps just as something unique, but with barely anything dropping loop wise it feels like a huge waste of time other than the eventual hyper shards. Mass Destruction is definitely worth it, and currently I do plan to get Destructive Pylon, but I may well burn out before then... I think they should have put the shards for defenses as the first 4, and then the player shards after... at least that way you don't have to do an obscene an amount of maps you don't enjoy to get the shards. It's not really much of a challenge, it's just a time sink. As long as you have a lot of options defense wise you can beat all the maps without much trouble.

On console the 30 second build time restrictions are a huge pain; unless there's something I'm missing I'm going to have to try and get some help for those just because the build times are longer on console due to the controls, but communicating that and organizing it won't be the easiest thing in the world.

It's about the hyper-shards. Mastery now is simple, there should be no gripes. It was not simple when players neither had mods on the equpiment/relics, and no gilded shards.

The major boost of Mastery is the shards. All else in minor economic or decent flair improvement.

What I dont like about Mastery is that theres no way to reset the map. Lets say you have the challenge where you cant upgrade any defenses. Most of the time when I finish building out the defenses in the first build phase I accidentally upgrade something and its all over, I cant reset, I have to leave, come back and set up everything all over again. Its not challenging its just frustrating (yea I did it myself but so what). This is the same thing with other challenges that you can fail before you even hit the start button on the first wave.

Another thing is that theres no rewards on a map by map basis. No defender medals, no shards, nothing. Very little rewards other than the hypershards we're after.

• Like 1

Mastery was my favorite game mode by a significant margin. The challenges were great, and they introduced some very creative builds that I would have never otherwise attempted.

Diversity is only bugged if you fail a wave and retry. If you lose a core with diversity as one of the requirements, just start over from the beginning. Otherwise, there are no issues with it whatsoever.

The rewards you get from it are absolutely worth it. Automation, with it making any defense stun immune, that alone is worth it. I'm going through resets right now and it has helped immensely, especially since I don't have to upgrade the shard.

The wings are also really nice too.

Posted (edited)

Tbh, I didnt failed a mastery challenge in a while since I did that post. Except when I accidentelly sell or upgrade something. But even if I complete them with ease and learned to work around glitches and bugs, its still shit. No medals, no materials, no shards, no golds, no gear, almost no xp. For the "challenge" itself and the time invested the mastery rewards aren't enough. Its long as heck, ans not rewarding. Oh yeah you get those hyper shards, woot. Thats it. Pretty much. There is 21 maps per difficulty. That's 147 maps to run, without considering nobody ever will do them all without having once to restart. If we take an average of 20 minutes per map, thats a rough 49 hours, without any retries. With retries it can take up to 70-80 hours easily, considering most maps actually takes more than 20 minutes. That's 10-12 hours per hyper shards. They are good indeed, but not enough to justify such a painful and slow grind without any other kind of rewards. Other rewards are mostly useless craps. They should activate normal drops in mastery. Until they do, mastery is and will keep being shit. That's a fact. I havent played with anybody that actually enjoyed doing it. Everyone describe it as painful to grind and boring. Every single person I meet tells me about how a crappy experience mastery was for them but that now that they're done with it, they wont ever have to touch it ever again. Mastery is the only content with 0 replayability. Nobody in its right mind will replay mastery for fun. Nobody. If you do you're either crazy or want to prove a point out of pride. Dungeon defenders franchise always has been about replayability. They are breaking their own rules by doing content like that. I know dd2 is coming to an end, but it isnt a reason to not ask for improvements while we still can. 

Edited by oliwaltony

1 hour ago, oliwaltony said:

That's 10-12 hours per hyper shards. They are good indeed, but not enough to justify such a painful and slow grind without any other kind of rewards. Other rewards are mostly useless craps.

You can sell the gold pets for more gold for other things, the hero cards you get are free and useful for obvious reasons, the DM you get is useful especially since you can use them to buy shards now, and that's all on top of the vastly overpowered Hyper shards. The time investment is definitely worth it

They should activate normal drops in mastery.

Normal drops meant nothing when the mode was released, therefore there was no need. Like Incursions this is just another mode that needs a revisit that it will probably never get.

Until they do, mastery is and will keep being shit. That's a fact. I havent played with anybody that actually enjoyed doing it. Everyone describe it as painful to grind and boring. Every single person I meet tells me about how a crappy experience mastery was for them but that now that they're done with it, they wont ever have to touch it ever again. Mastery is the only content with 0 replayability. Nobody in its right mind will replay mastery for fun. Nobody. If you do you're either crazy or want to prove a point out of pride.

No, that's an opinion. There have been many people who enjoyed it and have gone back to play it again for various reasons and had no issue doing so, mainly because its too easy now and isn't considered a challenge (Mastery) anymore.

Dungeon defenders franchise always has been about replayability. They are breaking their own rules by doing content like that. I know dd2 is coming to an end, but it isnt a reason to not ask for improvements while we still can. 

Oh really? How many times did you go back with your OP level 100 heroes and do easy difficulty campaign in DD1? None? That's because you gain nothing from it anymore. Also I don't think there are any rules yet, DD1 and 2 are different games and there is no pattern created yet other than towers, inventory and heroes. Which means to adhere to the "rules" DDA needs towers, inventory and heroes. Though, I hardly consider DDA another game in the chain of games since its basically turned into a remaster of DD1. So far it's, "We did this game this way and that game that way" once a third game comes out then you will start to have a pattern which is where "rules" you want are formed.

DD2 isn't coming to an end, they have said many times that they are going to continue supporting it and there will always be players around to play it since it's free to play and DDA is not, on top of people who don't want to play DDA. With that yes, you can and should still ask for improvements because they will still do something about it if they see that it can be done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Exglint said:

You can sell the gold pets for more gold for other things, the hero cards you get are free and useful for obvious reasons, the DM you get is useful especially since you can use them to buy shards now, and that's all on top of the vastly overpowered Hyper shards. The time investment is definitely worth it

Normal drops meant nothing when the mode was released, therefore there was no need. Like Incursions this is just another mode that needs a revisit that it will probably never get.

No, that's an opinion. There have been many people who enjoyed it and have gone back to play it again for various reasons and had no issue doing so, mainly because its too easy now and isn't considered a challenge (Mastery) anymore.

Oh really? How many times did you go back with your OP level 100 heroes and do easy difficulty campaign in DD1? None? That's because you gain nothing from it anymore. Also I don't think there are any rules yet, DD1 and 2 are different games and there is no pattern created yet other than towers, inventory and heroes. Which means to adhere to the "rules" DDA needs towers, inventory and heroes. Though, I hardly consider DDA another game in the chain of games since its basically turned into a remaster of DD1. So far it's, "We did this game this way and that game that way" once a third game comes out then you will start to have a pattern which is where "rules" you want are formed.

DD2 isn't coming to an end, they have said many times that they are going to continue supporting it and there will always be players around to play it since it's free to play and DDA is not, on top of people who don't want to play DDA. With that yes, you can and should still ask for improvements because they will still do something about it if they see that it can be done.

Defenders medals can be easily obtained by playing other mode or doing dailies, making it not worth farming it via mastery. While I personally like gold pets, they're completly useless, aka not worth the grind. As for the hero cards, they can be bought with DM, which is easier and more time effective to far via another mode than mastery itself, making it a useless reward in mastery.

Until you give me 1 good reason to return in mastery, other than helping a frieng going through them for the 1rst time, you are and will be wrong. There is some weird people that enjoy pain and they're called masochists. Pretty sure its not a majority of people. There is literally 0 replayability since once you've done it, there is 0 rewards. At all. Like in nothing. 

You're compairing apples and oranges. We're not talking about difficulty here, we're talking about modes. All single maps and modes in dd1 are replayable as much as you want in any difficulties. Of course if I'm lvl 100 I wont be playing easy. But that isn't what's at stakes here. Even if I play in nightmare, I play all maps anyway. All maps and challenges are replayable. In any difficulty you want. Mastery on the other hand is a whole mode, all difficulties included. Regardless of the difficulty, once you've done it there is 0 replayability. You wont ever go back to it. There is no incentive to do it again other than the few people that "feel special" doing it. You're not special, you're a masochist. There isn't anything wrong about being a masochist by itself, unless you're trying to impose your desire of pain to people that doesnt enjoy it. Pain is and should always be a choice in videogames. We're not all dark soul's fans. 

The replayability IS a rule in the DD franchise. An unwritten rule but a rule nonetheless. Dungeon defenders would've died a long time ago if it wasnt for its infinite replayability. Im talking about the franchise here, not any particular DD title. The game always as been about replayability. Litterally. All you do is grind again and again to get better. It is the whole point of the games, even more so than towers and inventory themselves. If you want good towers, you gotta replay again and again to get better gear, better drops, better this and better that. Its all about replaying. By removing the replayability of a mode, you're removing a whole bunch of potential customers. Lets say by exemple that mastery was actually harder, but that it would drops golds, shards, mats and everything it should drop and in the end, you could redo them to get some unique and special rewards that doesnt drop anywhere else, but not only 1 time. This would be worth grinding. There would be a goal. Hard earned content, but worth grinding again and again. Instead, they just put all the same maps with similar lames challenges that you can only do once if you want to make your time worth something. The whole star system is flawed. It completly destroys replayability while not being optimal, clunky and not all that hard, just boringly long. 

DD2 is coming to and end. The next update they've talked that is coming is litterally called "endgame content" because its gonna be the end of it. It'll still run and probably might get some future patch or maybe little maps added to it, but the game will be pretty much done. They'll keep giving it a little attention but to move onto DDA and DD3, they'll have to let go eventually, and that might come sooner than you think. DD1 is still running because of the community development team, not because of trendy (now chromatic). Trendy abandonned it altogether a while ago and only takes the money the CDT brings in and do nothing else. 

Overall, your whole anwser was wrong on most point, so maybe you should try to inform yourself a little bit better next time. Seriously mastery is lame and should get improved. Untill then, mastery is and will keep being shit, and there is nothing you can say or do that will change my mind. I litterally find 1 or 2 persons defending mastery for every 100 persons that hates it. You represent +/- 1-2% of the playerbase, and you can't deny that. The fact is, 90%+ of players hates mastery. Oh they like the hypershards, I mean who wouldnt? But they hated grinding mastery to get them and wont ever play it again. This can't be good for a game where the whole point is to be able to replay again and again. 

4 hours ago, oliwaltony said:

Defenders medals can be easily obtained by playing other mode or doing dailies, making it not worth farming it via mastery. While I personally like gold pets, they're completly useless, aka not worth the grind. As for the hero cards, they can be bought with DM, which is easier and more time effective to far via another mode than mastery itself, making it a useless reward in mastery.

It was never built to be a farm, it was built to be a challenge mode, so it would make no sense to "farm" DM there, even though you only get those rewards once. Worth is determined per person, just because you think they aren't doesn't mean others don't, people are always buying these things because they look cool to them. I don't personally like gold pets at all, which is why I vendored mine 2 years ago before trading was a thing.

Until you give me 1 good reason to return in mastery, other than helping a frieng going through them for the 1rst time, you are and will be wrong. There is some weird people that enjoy pain and they're called masochists. Pretty sure its not a majority of people. There is literally 0 replayability since once you've done it, there is 0 rewards. At all. Like in nothing.

Masochist or not wouldn't them liking Mastery make that an "opinion", just like you and others not liking it an "opinion"? The one good reason, well back in the day it was fun, but it didn't age well and now its just too easy. If they revisit it or the things making us too powerful it can be fun again. The thing is you are playing an old mode in the newest version of the game, you weren't around when it was a test of your true strength as a player. That's now Onslaught's job and even that game mode is becoming obsolete since we are again way too powerful.

You're compairing apples and oranges. We're not talking about difficulty here, we're talking about modes. All single maps and modes in dd1 are replayable as much as you want in any difficulties. Of course if I'm lvl 100 I wont be playing easy. But that isn't what's at stakes here. Even if I play in nightmare, I play all maps anyway. All maps and challenges are replayable. In any difficulty you want. Mastery on the other hand is a whole mode, all difficulties included. Regardless of the difficulty, once you've done it there is 0 replayability. You wont ever go back to it. There is no incentive to do it again other than the few people that "feel special" doing it. You're not special, you're a masochist. There isn't anything wrong about being a masochist by itself, unless you're trying to impose your desire of pain to people that doesnt enjoy it. Pain is and should always be a choice in videogames. We're not all dark soul's fans. 

Is campaign not a game mode? At least the lowest Mastery difficulty can still provide challenges, unlike the lowest difficulty in DD1. No one is imposing anything, I too want Mastery to get revisited to make it difficult like it was before but that might be done through rebalancing players since our power is the reason its easy, not the fact that they changed it to make it easy. Also it is a choice, you don't need the Hyper shards they are just really nice to have.

The replayability IS a rule in the DD franchise. An unwritten rule but a rule nonetheless. Dungeon defenders would've died a long time ago if it wasnt for its infinite replayability. Im talking about the franchise here, not any particular DD title. The game always as been about replayability. Litterally. All you do is grind again and again to get better. It is the whole point of the games, even more so than towers and inventory themselves. If you want good towers, you gotta replay again and again to get better gear, better drops, better this and better that. Its all about replaying. By removing the replayability of a mode, you're removing a whole bunch of potential customers. Lets say by exemple that mastery was actually harder, but that it would drops golds, shards, mats and everything it should drop and in the end, you could redo them to get some unique and special rewards that doesnt drop anywhere else, but not only 1 time. This would be worth grinding. There would be a goal. Hard earned content, but worth grinding again and again. Instead, they just put all the same maps with similar lames challenges that you can only do once if you want to make your time worth something. The whole star system is flawed. It completly destroys replayability while not being optimal, clunky and not all that hard, just boringly long.

Technically no, replay ability is a rule you are imposing on others, we are not all DD1 fans. Kappa

Nothing is infinitely repeatable, once you have the best there is no reason to do it again. Assuming they did add drops to it, knowing the DD2 community, no one would repeat it anyways because there are more afk-able ways to get that stuff, ie. chaos 7. They already do this, I build my way in Onslaught and very few people do my build even though its very powerful, why? Because there are more afk-able and boring builds they can use to get the same win. Can change the game but you can't change the people playing it.

DD2 is coming to and end. The next update they've talked that is coming is litterally called "endgame content" because its gonna be the end of it. It'll still run and probably might get some future patch or maybe little maps added to it, but the game will be pretty much done. They'll keep giving it a little attention but to move onto DDA and DD3, they'll have to let go eventually, and that might come sooner than you think. DD1 is still running because of the community development team, not because of trendy (now chromatic). Trendy abandonned it altogether a while ago and only takes the money the CDT brings in and do nothing else.

Actually it's called "Prime Incursions" but lets go with your wording. DD1 has the Old One fight, which by definition is endgame, was that the last update you got? Looking on steam I see part 4 was put up on July 10th 2012, and the Tinkerer's DLC was put out in 2013 so that was at least a year before they let CDT take over, to which I can only assume they started giving you free updates, man that was nice of Chromatic to not charge you for that :P

Also as a side note I always mention, you are not Chromatic so assuming what they will or will not do is not the best practice for trying to prove a point and should remain objective.

5 hours ago, oliwaltony said:

Overall, your whole anwser was wrong on most point, so maybe you should try to inform yourself a little bit better next time. Seriously mastery is lame and should get improved. Untill then, mastery is and will keep being shit, and there is nothing you can say or do that will change my mind. I litterally find 1 or 2 persons defending mastery for every 100 persons that hates it. You represent +/- 1-2% of the playerbase, and you can't deny that. The fact is, 90%+ of players hates mastery. Oh they like the hypershards, I mean who wouldnt? But they hated grinding mastery to get them and wont ever play it again. This can't be good for a game where the whole point is to be able to replay again and again. 

Overall my whole answer is opinion, and I don't know how much more informing I can get being a player with several thousands of hours and a tester for a few years. That's on top of being a popular streamer and being in constant interaction with the community so I get to hear their opinions all the time.

I agree Mastery should be improved, maybe not the way you think it should be, but we both agree there. Also mathing real fast, if I represent 1-2% and 90% hate it then what about the other 8-9%? Also the game has several game modes, if one isn't replayable I don't think the whole game will suffer over it. Chaos 1-7 is replayable because of shard grinding and those are worth it but people don't like that either so replay ability isn't the best solution to everything.

27 minutes ago, Exglint said:

DD1 has the Old One fight, which by definition is endgame, was that the last update you got? Looking on steam I see part 4 was put up on July 10th 2012, and the Tinkerer's DLC was put out in 2013 so that was at least a year before they let CDT take over, to which I can only assume they started giving you free updates, man that was nice of Chromatic to not charge you for that :P

Technically no, replay ability is a rule you are imposing on others, we are not all DD1 fans. Kappa

Nothing is infinitely repeatable, once you have the best there is no reason to do it again. Assuming they did add drops to it, knowing the DD2 community, no one would repeat it anyways because there are more afk-able ways to get that stuff, ie. chaos 7. They already do this, I build my way in Onslaught and very few people do my build even though its very powerful, why? Because there are more afk-able and boring builds they can use to get the same win. Can change the game but you can't change the people playing it.

The tinkerer dlc was made by a player and not Trendy/Chromatic, but they still charged for it. The content the CDT create is free, and was intended as such. I am myself part of the CDT, and I sure as hell hope trendy wont ever try to make money out of our hard work more than they already do. I wasn't a map designer myself but have been an event host for the CDT for a while, and worked hard to help create fun items to distribute to the playerbase. After CD, like you said yourself only the tinkerer dlc came out because the dude that made akatiti jungle (and moonbase, which were both the results of maps building contests) was commissionned by Trendy to make another good map. Trendy didnt put any more work into the game after their endgame content came in. They were working on doing a shitty MOBBA under Spielglitz's orders.  It took almost 2 years to get moonbase into the game and thats no thanks to Trendy. The CDT pushee to have it included, when trendy actually had promised to put it in the game several times in the last 2 years before its release. I've been a fan of the franchise since the first day it came out on ps3. I've followed every ups and downs, and made everything to try and make this game better. I might not have "followers" because I'm not a streamer and am not interested in being one. But I do know alot about the history of the franchise. I backed them on KS for DDa, and even tough they said they wont "stop working on dd2", they said they were going toward dd3, which can only mean that dd2 is coming to an end. You can deny it all you want, it'll happen. I just really hope DDA will be better than DDE was, because I dont want the history to repeat itself. 

As for the second part, I'm not imposing anything on anyone. Its just what it is. Yoj can always get better gear. It is nearly, if not completly impossible to aquire all perfect gear due to the RNG and too many possibilities/variables. The whole point of the game is that. Sure its a tower defense with a little rpg, but if you wanna go foward, you gotta replay maps to get better. The hardiest veterans on dd1 and dd2 are the biggest perfectionnist that aspire to have the best and perfect gear, but perfect gear doesnt exist. So we'll always follow our quests to get those elusives perfect pieces of equipment until we realise we have chances to win the lotto. And I did mentionned that they could add unique farmable rewards to it, to make it more worth farming.

Tbh I'm not sure you actually read my reply because most of your answers missed my points completly, and that's fine, I mean I wrote a wall of text and I know I do that alot and not everyone enjoys reading walls of text, but dont pretend like you read it and try to anwser to it with things that have no places in the subject at hand x) My whole point is that its rewards are craps, and I bring arguments to make it hold, but you just come and talk about something else? You seems like a smart guy or gal (I wouldnt want to assume anybody's gender, I am clunky in that matter), I'll give you that, but seriously just stop. You're respectful and I appreciate it, but your anwsers doesnt brings anything to the conversation and isnt constructive. I wasnt there when mastery came out, its true. I had quitted DD2. But it doesnt remove the fact that mastery just isnt rewarding. It shouldnt feels like a chore. 

Posted (edited)

I liked Mastery because of the challenges it added at the time, but I also hated the capping of gear and ascension.

I'd like to see Mastery re-mastered so that the challenges remain (and some new ones) but the caps to gear and ascension removed (they're obsolete now due to MODs anyway) and the difficulty go beyond the current c7. So that we can get more rewards (costumes, lockboxes, new hypershards, etc).

Edited by Little Magic Hat
  • Like 1

Ah the hatchet job, was wondering when and who would do that to me. This is where the person clip quotes what they want from what I said and claim I'm the one missing the point and that I wasn't paying attention. Especially funny when you consider they say I said something I actually didn't. Well since this has been done and I know it wont get any more constructive from here I won't respond directly to anything but will cover a few points.

Since the start of the thread only two people said something about droppable loot (aside from the OP). Everyone else has said it's totally worth the rewards it has and a few would like to see the mode updated with challenge brought back and different rewards (rewards not droppable loot). For the most part people don't care about drop loot because there are easier ways to get it.

For the main part of the start of the thread it was about it being buggy. I agree but that is because all the stuff that has issues with Mastery was introduced after Mastery and the mode never got a touch up as each of these features were brought in.

I completely agree that Mastery and a few other things in the game should be brought up to snuff in the current version of the game and that would have a huge impact on the game's popularity. I do recognize that it may not be possible because CG is moving more towards DDA now but hopefully they clean up and setup prep for a CDT to take over for a little while after they no longer want to update when it comes to that point. DD2 will have a certain amount of people playing it purely for the fact it's free and these people will be the ones who can't afford DDA and its pay for DLC.

All in all, I don't think Mastery is bad because it doesn't have drop loot, I think it has withered to time and just needs a fresh coat of paint to bring back the Challenge in the mode. Maybe a different set of progress bars with different rewards so that each time you go for the 735 stars you can still get something for doing so but I don't think these need to be hyper shard level rewards to have people want to go do it again for fun.

Posted (edited)

End of the day. Mastery was something that was required to be completed to gain those awesome shards. No one said you had to do it in one sitting could of progressed through the chaos expeditions the same time. 

I think it’s more people complain because they are either not ready to complete mastery or too lazy to grind it out. They just want to gain it as cheaply as possible. 

You need to earn it like everyone else 😂👌🏻😝

if you don’t want to do it ;) stay playing expeditions. 

Mastery was a change from the norm of farming unholy catacombs collecting pristine clusters now that is boring at least mastery was different ;) 

Edited by Switchblade

3 hours ago, Exglint said:

All in all, I don't think Mastery is bad because it doesn't have drop loot, I think it has withered to time and just needs a fresh coat of paint to bring back the Challenge in the mode. Maybe a different set of progress bars with different rewards so that each time you go for the 735 stars you can still get something for doing so but I don't think these need to be hyper shard level rewards to have people want to go do it again for fun.

I'll have to agree with you on that point, thats kinda the whole point I'm trying to do. 

I'm gonna add that when I originally did that post, I was beginning mastery and didnt knew about all the bugs and was kinda bothered by them. I learned to go around them and continued. From that point on, my position on the subject evolved, and moved on from the original purpose of the post. It happens. I am not lazy as I am doing those mastery grinds. I don't want to avoid them, they're part of the game. I just want it to be more rewarding. Appart from the hypershards, nothing is worth your time if we discuss only quality/quantity vs time. And that is a problem. If they only added the usual gold/xp drops and gear/shards drops, mastery would become less boring and worth it. If they added, like you mentionned, a second line of rewards (without it being hypershards) that are worth doing it again, then again it'd be worth it. The whole purpose of this thread is to catch developpers's eyes and to make them realise there is work to be done. 

As for my "quotes", I'm on my phone, doesnt know how the codes of the forum work for most part, I'm not able to separate every paragraph of your message to anwser to all of them like you did on my cellphone. This isn't personnal, but I still think, right now, as the mode is in the game, that its crap. I want it to be better. I want the DD franchise to be the best that it can become. And that implies going against some hard defenders that would defend anything just for the point of arguing. 

As an additive, I must say english isnt my mother tongue, even tough I'm pretty sure you saw it as I must do alot of grammatical errors, so there might have been some misunderstanding betwen us, because reading the last part of your last anwser, I'm pretty much sure we want the same thing.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:55 AM, Little Magic Hat said:

So the title has nothing to do with what you're actually complaining about. 

It's easier to start at c7 mastery and use both rate mod and Shard and work backwards. You can skip perfect in the harder maps 30s build time eg and still get all the shards (just not all the flairs ) 

Does your mastery stars work different then my or something? I'm on PS4 and all the chaos levels are added together meaning I can't get the next shard until getting the next flair...

ie 50 stars( accumulated over all stages) awards shard one and 155(same as stated before) awards shard 2 and so on.

11 hours ago, marcusathomas21 said:

Does your mastery stars work different then my or something? I'm on PS4 and all the chaos levels are added together meaning I can't get the next shard until getting the next flair...

ie 50 stars( accumulated over all stages) awards shard one and 155(same as stated before) awards shard 2 and so on.

No, it's cumulative. What I meant is that you don't get the last flair if you don't perfect everything (I have every Shard but I don't have perfect in quite a few of the maps)