Sign in to follow this  
Loladin

Rework Ascension points

I would love for the current ascension point system to get reworked. As it is now, ye basically need 1 hero for each tower you want to use, if you want it to benifit from your ascension points.
The hero section works well in my opinion, The tower section could use a rework together with utility.

Was thinking about something like a tower section with :

• Def Power ( all towers )
  • Def Health ( all towers )
  • Def Crit chance
  • Def Crit dmg
  • Def Speed
  • Def range ( all towers )

The rest of the talents in utility could either stay, or be moved into the hero section. Maybe even come up with some more interesting utilities? 

I would like to hear other ideas aswell.

Sincerely
Loladin

• Like 1

I would agree DD2 could use a change with Ascension, but at the same time it might be too late for me personally, I'll be playing DD: Awakening when it releases soon(hopefully still this year). DD1 had just tower stats that applied to all towers on that character instead of just one, so you could have a full squire or full monk build of towers with just one of each hero and then switch to another hero to put down a few of that hero's towers also. You also had to choose between being primarily a tower hero or a dps hero with your stat points, meaning more efficiency in which role you wanted to play with that character instead of a dps and a tower hero in DD2 that's basically a jack of all trades...except with only 1 tower leveled up. Only way around it is getting very high Ascension to where you can max them all, which takes dozens of hours, or maybe even a hundred or more hours. It's annoying to have either a hybrid tower hero that's mediocre at all towers or a focused tower hero only good with one tower. I don't like needing to have 3 monks to use his auras at full potential or other characters for that matter, especially with onslaught floors limiting tower efficiency with all the modifiers which make you feel pushed to use specific builds or have certain mods. Definitely started to feel like it's everyone using the same build when alot of the towers just aren't useful for endgame and weren't worth the point investment. Generally, I don't see anyone using Explosive Traps, Geysers, Blaze Balloons, Magic Blockades, Frost Towers, Flamethrower tower, Squire's dummy tower, harpoons, buff aura, not to mention a few of the "dlc" hero's towers. In DD1, it seemed like most of the towers were able to be used efficiently. I enjoy the game, but some of the mechanics/features seem out of place or just wrong.

19 minutes ago, Legendary Dragonborn said:

Only way around it is getting very high Ascension to where you can max them all, which takes dozens of hours, or maybe even a hundred or more hours.

Dozens/hundreds of hours is intentional. This is not a normal triple A game where you play 10-20 hours and you're done, its a grind game and there are a ton of players with thousands of hours. DD1 is in the same boat, except instead of grinding levels (assuming you were max level) you grinded gear for your stats, which also could take hundreds to thousands of hours getting all your heroes geared.

24 minutes ago, Legendary Dragonborn said:

Generally, I don't see anyone using Explosive Traps, Geysers, Blaze Balloons, Magic Blockades, Frost Towers, Flamethrower tower, Squire's dummy tower, harpoons, buff aura, not to mention a few of the "dlc" hero's towers.

Blockades aside since basically no one uses them after a certain point, I suggest taking a look at videos, streams, or joining public matches. Unless you intentionally avoid human contact in DD2 I wont believe you have never seen anyone use Boost Aura since it is one of the best things in the game. Without Blockades on that list, every other tower I have seen used plenty of times, they are just not popular because other broken stuff is doing all the work at the moment.

15 hours ago, Loladin said:

I would love for the current ascension point system to get reworked.

As much as I would like to see something change with the ascension trees, I dont believe what you suggested is a good idea. As you get later into the game you are going to be literally made of ascension with nothing to put points into and its so easy to get there that just about anyone who has climbed Onslaught and done a few resets has done it. Most players who are determined to make some benefit out of their first reset get 3k+ asc as a minimum ascension for resets. With that alone they can fill most heroes with the normal talent caps and the bonus xp they get for doing resets they get even more asc per map afterwards. Grouping the trees up like you did will just shorten the game drastically.

Yeah, I'd love to see an ascension rework. I don't even really have a problem with shortening the grind at this point, either, considering DD2 is pretty late into its lifespan. 

Another one I'd like to see dealt with would be the wasted points. The only character who won't start losing every third ascension point within a few hundred ascension levels is the Barbarian, as it is now. Seeing a big chunk of points just collecting dust like that bothers me.

Posted (edited)

I don't think an ascension rework is necessary or worthwhile at this point imo. However, I would like to see the unused utility points actually get a purpose, its silly that 1 out of 3 ascension points are unable to be used after you maxed out the utility column.

Possible utility point ideas for these would be :-

999 point node - Add these points to Column A
999 point node - Add these points to Column B
999 point node - Assassins have a 0.1% chance to not latch on to you (99.9% at 999 points)
999 point node - Towers built by this character have 0.1% chance to not be affected by disable effects (99.9% at 999 points)

These are just a few things that came to mind and I know the barbarian tree setup does not encourage such changes with its unique structure but a couple of abilities could be moved to easily accommodate any alterations. It just bugs me that I have 100's potentially 1000's of worthless points on basically all my chars except barb and I think it would be easy to give us something to do with them.

Edited by Dadogy

On 8/7/2019 at 11:57 PM, Exglint said:

Dozens/hundreds of hours is intentional. This is not a normal triple A game where you play 10-20 hours and you're done, its a grind game and there are a ton of players with thousands of hours.

Blockades aside since basically no one uses them after a certain point, I suggest taking a look at videos, streams, or joining public matches. Unless you intentionally avoid human contact in DD2 I wont believe you have never seen anyone use Boost Aura since it is one of the best things in the game. Without Blockades on that list, every other tower I have seen used plenty of times, they are just not popular because other broken stuff is doing all the work at the moment.

I wasn't talking about getting to the very end game and have a maxed character in most regards. I specifically meant if you wanted to use most of a hero's towers without having 2-3 of that same hero, you would need 1000+ Ascension. That's kinda restricting considering it makes all those towers you don't have points into essentially useless. You still also have to farm for resources, shards, and mods that take up a lot of time also. So basically, for anyone that isn't high Ascension or is a new player, you are either stuck with 3 of that hero to use their towers effectively or you spread the points evenly on 1 hero and have those towers all mediocre.

I try to play in public matches as much as possible, I'm not avoiding anything. I said I "generally" don't see these towers used, meaning not regularly. Most people in public matches are using the same combos of towers like MFR, Flame Aura, PDT, Earthshatter, Hornets, and Skyguard. It's not my fault the towers are unbalanced to the point most people don't usually use half of them. And if blockades aren't useful late game, I'd call that a design flaw unless they did it 100% intentionally, even then it again limits the amount of towers that are useful. I like using blockades because it feels like it fits to have something stopping the enemies from getting through while being supported by other towers.

All in all, I like different builds but I feel it restricts you from being creative with the stat distribution of having to choose which tower to make useful one at a time until you sink so much time in to max them all just to be able to comfortably use them all. And alternately having to make multiple copies of the same hero just to use all of their towers effectively just isn't a smooth gameplay design. Like I said, it feels limiting or just annoyingly inconvenient.

Posted (edited)

It used to be like that when we had skill spheres.

I don't mind the system as it is now. Not perfect but not bad (apart from utility being massively under pointed for all but barbarian - isn't it about time we got magical and physical defense stat back) 

Edited by Little Magic Hat