Sign in to follow this  
MrPeterPFL

Best Flamethrower Tower build?

Posted (edited)

I know this tower isn’t the greatest or commonly used but I’ve been working on a build for it. Current build:

Shards: Destruction, Vampiric Power & Deadly Strikes

Mods: Anti Frost, Anti Melee & Defence Rate

Reason for this build is simple, 10/10 Defence Rate will get you to 0.28 Attack Speed when the max speed cap is 0.25, this will allow me to have a free Shard slot. Adding Destruction and Vampiric for more damage and Deadly Strikes for extra range. With this build careful when you put Ascension points onto it as the Flamethrower range cap is quite small and putting more points onto it will hurt the tower. 

Thoughts + your build recommendation? 

Edited by MrPeterPFL

Hi man flamethrower is pure shit. You can use it for fun - not for progression.

REad this.

21 hours ago, MrPeterPFL said:

I know this tower isn’t the greatest or commonly used but I’ve been working on a build for it. Current build:

Shards: Destruction, Vampiric Power & Deadly Strikes

Mods: Anti Frost, Anti Melee & Defence Rate

Reason for this build is simple, 10/10 Defence Rate will get you to 0.28 Attack Speed when the max speed cap is 0.25, this will allow me to have a free Shard slot. Adding Destruction and Vampiric for more damage and Deadly Strikes for extra range. With this build careful when you put Ascension points onto it as the Flamethrower range cap is quite small and putting more points onto it will hurt the tower. 

I wouldnt go Vamp unless you have fully unlocked talent caps and the asc to support it but it does add a bit extra to dmg. I really wouldnt worry about the defense power loss from asc, you lose 1500 and at tier 1 you lose 3k atk dmg and at tier 5 you would lose 6k atk dmg and with a 50k primary relic you have 110k+ atk dmg (Before shards/asc or anything else is added), its literally peanuts compared to what you have. Personally I wouldnt use it for Frost lanes but it does work well against them since its fire dmg and that is doubled against Frost.

7 hours ago, atharix said:

Hi man flamethrower is pure shit. You can use it for fun - not for progression.

This statement is so far from the truth that I dont believe you really have tried to make it work. I have used FT to afk lanes above floor 300 with a c7 relic, they are far from bad. The only thing people dont like about them is their short range which, if you know what you are doing, means practically nothing.

Currently, mine are setup with destro, deadly, def rate shards and anti gobu, controller, anti miniboss. I use them with a 2 node proton and they have done better on High Roller lanes than just about every other cannon/PDT/[insert defense] build for those lanes. 2 of these have killed 600m hp rollers in less time than it takes those rollers to cross a two node Proton and can kill multiple at the same time because their attack is not blocked by hitboxes of other rollers/enemies.

tl;dr - Just because it isnt meta does not mean it doesnt work

• Like 3

Empowered flame instead of vampiric if low ascension. Not sure about frost lane either , frost bombers are a danger to it. 

I like FTs as a complement to other towers in a setup. I almost never use only them, apart from Roller lanes as mentioned before. On a frost lane, i might put a FA and/or a Fissure at spawn, then a few FTs on the path, and finally i have a frost-centric ramster to pick up anything that lives or disables the rest. 

FTs also work good behind a reflect wall for long range def., so you can place them further up on a lane. Terrain matters too. High sidewalls are ideal IMO for throwing FTs on the sides to make a death pinch point. 

For mods, i focus on all dps, so power-range-rate. I use the other towers to setup combos for cc elementals or high damage to minibosses or frost. It's okay to have more than one FT setup as well if you have more than one hero. Then you can get creative with mods and say make a Roller killer FT (anti goblin, anti miniboss, and any dps). 

Every def in DD2 is usable. Yes, some are undeniably better in almost every situation, but play the game long enough and you can work anything into a layout. Be creative, have fun. 

Tldr: use it, it works 😉

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 4:54 AM, Exglint said:

This statement is so far from the truth that I dont believe you really have tried to make it work. I have used FT to afk lanes above floor 300 with a c7 relic, they are far from bad. The only thing people dont like about them is their short range which, if you know what you are doing, means practically nothing.

It is not far from the truth at all  -  you cannot compare your high end skill/ end game stats and items and shards to his power level and call it equal. Also you cannot teach new people to the game to use this tower - as its just shit and they will struggle a lot with it. You do basic mistake you take it from your perspective instead of his.

I did a lot of testing and its by far the weakest tower of basic 4 chars (which is an issue for new players). You found a use case for it to kill rollers nice - how about other 95% use cases? And also you combined it with proton beam. ( which again newer players has no EV2)

Try reset all your gear put no shards no ascension and show me how you beat c5 only with this tower. Then tell me something about strength of this tower. There are far far better towers in this game for easier progression.

And yes range is a huge issue at this tower.

It is pure fun tower - when you found a use case - and that is exactly what i have said - use it for fun not for progression.

1. I didnt compare anything. He never stated where he was in the game and the only reference he gave was talking about a 40-50 million gold mod which would suggest he is farther than c5. Even if I look at how many posts he has made, he has more than Zombie and he is at floor 950+, so that is not a very good indicator either.

2. I didnt say it was the best tower, I just stated that it wasnt useless. I didnt find one "use case" I have used that same roller killing relic on non roller lanes, so if anything Im intentionally putting it at a disadvantage mod-wise.

3. The one thing I cannot change is the fact that everyone's first recommended hero to buy is Ev2. This is something that you would get early on.

4a. Assuming you have the worst rng in the history of rng and have no tower shards you still wouldnt use only the flamethrower in a map. This is an AoE tower and is meant to hit multiple targets. To be most effective with it you would combine it with a single target tower like cannon, or to a lesser extent PDT. Also assuming you are in c5, it is almost literally impossible for you to have no ascension as I can only think of one way to do that and anyone who does did that to themselves and deserves the consequences of that.

4b. While I have the PDT on mind lets compare those two. PDT is a multi target defense, not quite AoE and not quite single target. With the same everything and an average amount of darts hitting a target, the Flamethrower has more DPS than PDT darts. Since poison cannot stack (With the one player) I left it off but it will add some more. As the PDT hits tier 4-5 it gets more darts and the average goes up making them deal the same. So if I had to choose one of the two to spam I would go with Flamethrower because not only will it hit more targets (10 vs 6-8 with a 3.5-4.5 avg) it also does better or the same dps.

5. Range is not really an issue, it could be increased a bit but increasing it too much would make it broken and might replace the Ramster making it the more useless tower. A full gambit and a non gilded deadly gives it max range at 2400 which is about 1000 more range than the FA has from center to edge. Its fine if you know what to do with it.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, Zombiewookie said:

Empowered flame instead of vampiric if low ascension. Not sure about frost lane either , frost bombers are a danger to it. 

Ohhhh that’s true, I haven’t come across them yet, I tend to use them against Frost Orcs

On 6/26/2019 at 3:54 AM, Exglint said:

I wouldnt go Vamp unless you have fully unlocked talent caps and the asc to support it but it does add a bit extra to dmg. I really wouldnt worry about the defense power loss from asc, you lose 1500 and at tier 1 you lose 3k atk dmg and at tier 5 you would lose 6k atk dmg and with a 50k primary relic you have 110k+ atk dmg (Before shards/asc or anything else is added), its literally peanuts compared to what you have. Personally I wouldnt use it for Frost lanes but it does work well against them since its fire dmg and that is doubled against Frost.

Currently, mine are setup with destro, deadly, def rate shards and anti gobu, controller, anti miniboss. I use them with a 2 node proton and they have done better on High Roller lanes than just about every other cannon/PDT/[insert defense] build for those lanes. 2 of these have killed 600m hp rollers in less time than it takes those rollers to cross a two node Proton and can kill multiple at the same time because their attack is not blocked by hitboxes of other rollers/enemies.

tl;dr - Just because it isnt meta does not mean it doesnt work

Really interesting, I’ll give that a go 👍

By far the biggest weakness of flamethrower towers is that they pause to take a deep breath every time their target dies.

This is partially why flamethrowers excel so well at high roller lanes - there aren't very many enemies to kill, so its retargeting delay is mitigated. They have solid DPS, so as long as you work around their inherent weaknesses, they are a good tower to use.