Posted (edited)

I haven't been active on the forums here for a while, but I've read various things on both the forums and the kickstarter page.  The lack of communication is leading me to believe you are still Trendy Entertainment which brought us Dungeon Defenders Eternity, and not the Chromatic Games that can bring us what Dungeon Defenders Awakened could be.  No updates on the kickstarter after so much time and obvious controversial shipping costs, which you've done well at providing the community options for resolution.  Even just a public apology or an update to the thousands that backed would help increase confidence in the development and company.  As it is, it seems underhanded and secretive, especially since there is no mention on kickstarter outside of the comments for the shipping cost resolutions.  Secrecy is the exact same thing that happened with DDE before it was discontinued.  It was the exact same thing that led to the promised rewards from DDE being dropped because the Dev Team had to focus on DD2 content that would bring in revenue.

Please don't go down that road again.  I'm not even looking for specifics, just let the community know you're there on a platform aside from the official forums that many backers don't use.

Edited by gotrunks712
  • Like 6

We don't really need to get constant updates or patch notes about a game we won't even be able to beta test before we're close to its release. And it's still three and and a half months until its earliest possible release date.

The kickstarter shipping issues have already been discussed a lot in other threads, so I don't really want to comment on that here.

Be patient, it'd just be more work for them if they had to figure out a convenient method of keeping people up to date on all the stuff they're working on.

• Like 2

Crombell is right. When we know that the release date is months away and we are supporting them to make the game, it is often best to stand back and let them get on with it. There is a lot to do after all.

It's great that people are excited enough to want to hear its progress every step of the way, but it's just as good to have a little faith in their progress and wait for bigger announcements than a stream of updates. There is also nothing stopping us from talking about it between too and they have been posting a few teases on twitter.

I 100% agree about communicatin with the delivery costs however. I really felt I had to constantly push just to get an answer on the option of a partial monetary refund and the original choices just were not good enough for many. It was this delay that made a few refund entirely who probably would have much prefered to partially refund the physical items only. If an issue is affecting the backers now, then they should have been a lot more active in helping solve it now, than they were. Especially with the surveys possibly being timed. They really should put more info on the kickstarter page too as that should be their first port of call for contact with the backers. I took it upon myself to update people where I could and it should not be on us to do so.

However, they have done the right thing with the refunds in the end, and I am happy to say we can put it behind us regardless. So I'd rather not go into that any more really.

We just have to play the waiting game until the next update for now.

• Like 1

Im more inclined to agree with Gotrunks.  While we dont need constant updates, it's been nearly 2 months since the last word on kickstarter which is not good.  I think a monthly word at least saying hello is not unreasonable when you take nearly half a million dollars for a product that doesnt even exist lol.

• Like 7

Even some random Fallout modders put out weekly progress reports. I expect a full blown indie company that's dependent on Kickstarter to at least handle a monthly progress report.

• Like 1

i agree with crombell as well.

The community needs to be patient. The devs are working hard to bring this game to life. Let them concentrate on working on the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, super_slayan said:

i agree with crombell as well.

The community needs to be patient. The devs are working hard to bring this game to life. Let them concentrate on working on the game.

It is not unreasonable to ask for 15 minutes of one persons time. 3 Paragraphs with very little detail. Whats being worked on, general consensus on if they're going to hit their targets, and whats next. Don't need a blog.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadArkael said:

It is not unreasonable to ask for 15 minutes of one persons time. 3 Paragraphs with very little detail. Whats being worked on, general consensus on if they're going to hit their targets, and whats next. Don't need a blog.

Them telling us where they are isn’t going to make the game come out faster. They will announce something when they feel it’s necessary 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The whole point of this topic wasn't for daily, weekly, or even monthly progress updates.   It's the fact that they're using their forums as the primary source of information for the kickstarter.  No official comment was given on the kickstarter page for something that upset many backers.  In addition to that, no word has been said since the very end of the kickstarter.  There was no mention of a backer's options due to international shipping costs on the page where it mattered.  There's no update on digital rewards going out.  Literally no mention since a couple of weeks after the kickstarter ended.

I've backed quite a few products at this point and monthly updates post-closing aren't uncommon (again, not what I'm asking for directly).  I'm actually grateful and more inclined to continue backing companies that provide regular updates on progress toward deadlines.  Especially more willing to stick with those that build good rapport and are open and honest about failures with their community.  It builds a good image and leaves backers feeling informed.  Right now I feel like there's more of the same shady DDE stuff going on in the background.  Either way, I'm glad I lowered my initial tier toward the end of the campaign because in this case, no news isn't good news.

To further explain my point, I scrolled back through a months worth of comments on the kickstarter by backers that Chromatic Games claimed to have not forgotten.  Not a single one of those comments has a response by Chromatic.  It's great that the community is willing to help, but poor practice that the company can't seem to spare a second to go and answer backers' questions.

Edited by gotrunks712
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, gotrunks712 said:

... It's the fact that they're using their forums as the primary source of information for the kickstarter. ...

This I agree with. Not everyone who backed is on this forum, but they are all on the kickstarter page which has a section specifically for updates and comments. They should make that the first place to post important information, not here. Or at least link the discussion there to here so people can see it in more depth. They tend to not be following the rules of kickstarter very well, first with the lack of delivery info and now not ensuring new info goes out to everyone through the right channels.

All I am saying about updates is that updates are nice however, but they don't make much of a difference this early on over a large part of development and will most likely bring little news. Yeah it shows they are active on it but we should assume that anyway, we backed them for a reason and we would expect that they are working hard in the background. Not saying I don't want as many updates as they are willing because I would still, who wouldn't, we are excited after all, just not to panic and give them the time they need.

We got a lot of time left and we could get a flood on info when they have decent info to share. Still feels a bit early to worry thats all.

Posted (edited)

The game is so early it's almost impossible to make an interesting post...

Just a comical and innacurate example of a post for the development of DDA:

This month progress:

- We made the backend of our multiplayer gamemode... Uhh there's nothing to see...;

- Our artists made a few lava and pipes assets for the new Foundries & Forges (and we even have some WIP stone tiles textures coming today!!!);

- Our UX designer just finished a wireframe for the inventory!

- And mostly: we've talked about what features and differences to other DD games we'll include in DDA!

See ya'll next month ;)

I think we should wait before complaining for lack of communication, at least near the release date (was it a beta release or full release?)

Edited by QcDiablo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, QcDiablo said:

I think we should wait before complaining for lack of communication, at least near the release date (was it a beta release or full release?)

Ok. My post was simply saying asking for 15 minutes isnt a big deal. You wouldn't keep investors out of the loop for 2 months. I don't follow this, this closely, I honestly think they're going to listen to too many people and we're going to end up with DD2-2. Thats neither here nor there, however.

My point is, 20 people working 40 hours a week, 4 weeks a month is 16000 man hours. 15 minutes is not unreasonable. (1/64000th total time) And like someone mentioned above, on the kickstarter page where everyone knows to look. Its not about complaining about communication, its about status, outlook.

Edit: You get 0% of what you dont ask for. The quick to defend people that are well able to defend themselves is overdone.

Edited by MadArkael

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, QcDiablo said:

Pretty sure you just missed the entire point of this topic.  Nowhere was anything about development progress asked for.  There is a large lack of communication on the kickstarter, the outlet used to gather backers so that they could make the game in the first place.  Instead of talking to their entire community of backers there, they've elected to be secretive and only speak to the select few that visit the official forums.  Even those topics can be difficult to find when looking for answers unless you have a direct link to the post by Lawlta or others.  I'm betting a large portion of the backers don't have forum accounts and have no idea what is being discussed here unless it's mentioned in the comments of kickstarter.  None of those comments are done by Chromatic personnel, further leading to the feeling that they are being secretive and wanting to seem like they're doing the right thing (like offering refunds for international shipping) but at the same time not making it known to 100% of the backers.

In addition to that, updates like "All DD1 keys have been sent out.  If you're missing yours then email us at ..."  Something that simple still hasn't happened.  Kickstarter is where all backers will get their information.  The Dungeon Defenders forums is where a small portion will.  It's the secrecy that upsets me, especially because it echoes the past.

Edited by gotrunks712
  • Like 4

We're going to have a big update this Friday that outlines EVERYTHING we've been working on and how we've evolved as a studio. We agree that we've been silent for a longer time than we'd want, which we'll explain why in our update. While we're not probably going to be providing weekly updates, we are going to have a lot more stuff to show off in the coming months. We'll be showing the actual hero concepts this week, and then ramping up the stuff we're showing off more and more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LAWLTA said:

We're going to have a big update this Friday that outlines EVERYTHING we've been working on and how we've evolved as a studio. We agree that we've been silent for a longer time than we'd want, which we'll explain why in our update. While we're not probably going to be providing weekly updates, we are going to have a lot more stuff to show off in the coming months. We'll be showing the actual hero concepts this week, and then ramping up the stuff we're showing off more and more.

Awesome.

Yeah, weekly updates is not necessary, and people asking for information is nothing personal to you or your team, its just with the unregulated nature of kickstarter and go fund me and the like, the people can really be stuck holding the bill for nothing, and like I said its nothing personal, just like the occasional eyes popping over top of the cubicle saying, "Hey, still here."

Just wanted to say thank you for posting the update last week.  Really appreciated the information and public acknowledgement of the issues on kickstarter.  Really  helps build credibility.  I'm excited for the continued development and look forward the future updates and the game release in October.  Keep up the good work!

Anyone that hasn't seen it, you can find it here.

• Like 1