Jump to content
Ðivina

SGT vs Hailstorm?

Recommended Posts

Hello there, my fellow defenders!

So, I've come across with this little problem with my sgt. The thing is, I dont like to constantly swap stuff between heroes and different defenses. That's why, I've build up my heroes and defenses to a certain point, where I dont need to do it at all in any cases. I have a counter to everything this game tries to throw at me, ready to be placed immediatly. No need to search a specific shard from another defence or equip another medallion just because ''this time X mutator popped up on onslaught''. 

Except my Sky guard tower. SGT is just awesome, no complains about that. But for this defence, I have to swap medallions and shards, depending about the map i get. I want to get rid of this ''problem'' and hailstorm might be the answer.

Currently I do use SGT with unique powerservo and Vicious strikes and without ups/vs on maps, where i need to build more than one sgt.

Is it worth, using hailstorms to replace sgt's on the maps, where i need more than one.

f.e: Lost Temple: Need more than one sgt, so instead of swapping shards and medallion, i could just keep the ups/vs version sgt and build hailstorms instead of multiple sgt's?

I dont mind, if there is just a little bit difference, but if the 3x sgt is way better, then it is what it is. Currently i dont own the Adept hero, so can't test it out myself. I had no intentions of buying the initiate or the adept, but if this hailstorm can fix my ''problem'', i'll get it immediatly.

TL:DR TL;DR TL;DR TL;DR TL;DR

Is there a huge difference in terms of power between these two setups(I use 3xAA as an example)?

a) SGT with Vicious strikes/Unique powerservo and 2x Hailstorms

b) 3x SGT without the ups. 

setup ''a)'' does not have to be better at all compared to ''b)'', but if it can handle the task without a problem, it is enough.

Any experience with the hailstorm? Is it a total failure, or does it work just fine?

 

All kind of things and thought are appreaciated! 

Thanks a lot!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hailstorm has 2 things going for it that the SGT does not

 

Icefall allows it to freeze, which can still affect Unstoppables

 

It does physical damage, which destroys Spellbreaker air.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hailstorm towers can pack a fair punch and get the job done for sure. You can get a decent range but they only cover 180° and you don't get the slowing benefit like skygaurds. 

Given the 50 du cost, personally I'd prefer using a PDT instead of a Hailstorm as they are far more versitile. 

Also you should try giving flame or lightning auras a try on the lost temple as they can be placed directly inside of most of the spawn holes (as is also the case on a lot of maps) which can be quite effective. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, All Your Yeahs said:

Hailstorm towers can pack a fair punch and get the job done for sure. You can get a decent range but they only cover 180° and you don't get the slowing benefit like skygaurds. 

Given the 50 du cost, personally I'd prefer using a PDT instead of a Hailstorm as they are far more versitile. 

Also you should try giving flame or lightning auras a try on the lost temple as they can be placed directly inside of most of the spawn holes (as is also the case on a lot of maps) which can be quite effective. 

Sometimes I've been building stuff to The flying spawns, but usually I just dont. Dunno why, maybe just because using a tower is "funnier"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of HS, but in implementation that tower is very underwhelming. SGT by far outclasses it in range, CC, and number of shots and targets that are utilized. I do like it for aerial physical attacks when you have reduced magic lanes, and I'm using ES to pop enemies into the air.

I like to use SGTs, and the next best air helper (or an even better one on high Onslaught floors) is as mentioned above, the PDT. 

You can also mix in some elemental fun on SGTs. Have more than 1 monk, and 2 separate SGT builds. Make one poison/water, and the other earth/lightning. Adds a whole lot of cc support.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my sgt's just get destroyed by large packs with a single EMP flyer or without upgrades they get destroyed by a single EMP flyer. am only at depth 129 or so. I simply gave up using them and just positioned auras to do their jobs.

I am lacking the increased damage to support enemies mod however, and am hoping once I get it I will be able to run SGT's again.

 

3 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

You can also mix in some elemental fun on SGTs. Have more than 1 monk, and 2 separate SGT builds. Make one poison/water, and the other earth/lightning. Adds a whole lot of cc support.

How does this work? I thought SGT's were magic damage hence you couldn't use those conversion mods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elemental mods attune a nonelemental tower to that element and boosts DP. I know of no physical vs magical restrictions apart from aoe damage defs apparently (i.e. reflect beam). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Actual topic

Hailstorm is terrible because 1) it costs 40 du for single-target damage, 2) delayed targeting, 3) has a re-load sequence. I use the following:

  1. I re-roll any headstrong flyers
  2. I use Frostbite towers to bait EMP kobolds (Totem with Protective Downgrade and Hardened MODS, Fortification, Frosty Duet, Deadly Strikes shards)
  3. I use 2 SGTs: 1 with poison, 1 with earth for lanes that the flyer will fall to their death from petrify (just as a hero would die if they fell)
  4. On lanes that 3 doesn't count and that the flyer crosses ground units, I throw a poison WMR to petrify them into the kill box (Reflect Beam with Shattering Torpedo)
  5. If 4 isn't viable, I build in their spawn with the same WMR+Reflect combo e.g. Temple map you can pretty build on the spawn point for most flyer lanes
  6. If 5 isn't viable, I build WMR + Reflect around the objective since wyverns and lightning bugs are ranged and will do 0 damage

Physical, Magical, Elemental

White damage numbers = physical

Purple damage numbers = magical

Elemental servos can be applied to any defence that doesn't already have an element / explosive trap (explosion) / reflect beam (explosion) / oil geyser (earth). If an elemental servo is added to a defence it turns it into magical damage (annoyingly).

Edited by Little Magic Hat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zimmermann said:

my sgt's just get destroyed by large packs with a single EMP flyer or without upgrades they get destroyed by a single EMP flyer. am only at depth 129 or so. I simply gave up using them and just positioned auras to do their jobs.

I am lacking the increased damage to support enemies mod however, and am hoping once I get it I will be able to run SGT's again.

Make sure u have enuf range on your SGT. 

I run a range mod + range shard on SGT, which gives me 6000+ range, can deal with any flyer lanes very well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hailminion said:

Make sure u have enuf range on your SGT. 

I run a range mod + range shard on SGT, which gives me 6000+ range, can deal with any flyer lanes very well. 

same. but i dont have any other good mods on mine. so they get wrecked very easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Actual topic

Hailstorm is terrible because 1) it costs 40 du for single-target damage, 2) delayed targeting, 3) has a re-load sequence. I use the following:

  1. I re-roll any headstrong flyers
  2. I use Frostbite towers to bait EMP kobolds (Totem with Protective Downgrade and Hardened MODS, Fortification, Frosty Duet, Deadly Strikes shards)
  3. I use 2 SGTs: 1 with poison, 1 with earth for lanes that the flyer will fall to their death from petrify (just as a hero would die if they fell)
  4. On lanes that 3 doesn't count and that the flyer crosses ground units, I throw a poison WMR to petrify them into the kill box (Reflect Beam with Shattering Torpedo)
  5. If 4 isn't viable, I build in their spawn with the same WMR+Reflect combo e.g. Temple map you can pretty build on the spawn point for most flyer lanes
  6. If 5 isn't viable, I build WMR + Reflect around the objective since wyverns and lightning bugs are ranged and will do 0 damage

Physical, Magical, Elemental

White damage numbers = physical

Purple damage numbers = magical

Elemental servos can be applied to any defence that doesn't already have an element / explosive trap (explosion) / reflect beam (explosion) / oil geyser (earth). If an elemental servo is added to a defence it turns it into magical damage (annoyingly).

Good to know those things about hailstorm. 

I've been using training dummy as a bait, instead of frostbite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For my SGTs, I used Anti-Range, Anti-Support and Power servo, usually I have to use two to do the job (most of the time). I still have to use the obelisk as bait though.

22 hours ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Physical, Magical, Elemental

White damage numbers = physical

Purple damage numbers = magical

Ooh, thanks for the unexpected info on how to differentiate magical and physical dmg!

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 11:10 AM, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

For my SGTs, I used Anti-Range, Anti-Support and Power servo

Why not controller? It procs on the slow

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Why not controller? It procs on the slow

O-O. Oh shoot. I totally forgot that SGT slows...

Thank you so much for tip! I'll definitely try that! It's a better candidate than power servo, right?

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paloverde zfogshooterz said:

O-O. Oh shoot. I totally forgot that SGT slows...

Thank you so much for tip! I'll definitely try that! It's a better candidate than power servo, right?

Yeah, earth is also a good one to do double damage to lightning bug, or poison to deal with controlled burn 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Yeah, earth is also a good one to do double damage to lightning bug, or poison to deal with controlled burn 

Or...both! 2 SGT builds (or sub in a PDT of course), 1 for each element and then you are covered for both scenarios. Not to mention, petrified fliers drop for instant KOs. 

 

I used to use the Controller servo more, but diminishing returns took away some of the effectiveness of that mod. Not so sure it's as good anymore since all units build up a resistance to it, so to speak.

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Little Magic Hat said:

Yeah, earth is also a good one to do double damage to lightning bug, or poison to deal with controlled burn 

 

58 minutes ago, Jaws_420 said:

Or...both! 2 SGT builds (or sub in a PDT of course), 1 for each element and then you are covered for both scenarios. Not to mention, petrified fliers drop for instant KOs. 

 

I used to use the Controller servo more, but diminishing returns took away some of the effectiveness of that mod. Not so sure it's as good anymore since all units build up a resistance to it, so to speak.

Indeed, Indeed! I do intend on trying those too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow every one are using sgt, I use to think like that to, but now I just use LS with W max range everything, it only cost 20 and don’t need to worry about anything. It’s what I do I tried to be efficient and distructive and max reach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...