Sign in to follow this  
QcDiablo

Some wishes/suggestions for DDA

I've played DD1 plenty (played quite a bit on Xbox 360 until Aquanos then 150+ hours on Steam recently), even though haven't hit endgame just yet, and there are a couple of advices - or wishes - I have for DDA. However, I've haven't played DD2 all that much so I won't be referring to it.

- Just like some other posts in the forum, a minimum "gearscore" or power level to determine the difficulty of X map at Y difficulty would be really nice for a more streamlined progression and less of a trial & error.

- Definitely bring back skins unlocked via hard maps/challenges.

- The visible armor from DD:E was really nice, even though it would be a good amount of work. While not necessary in any way, it was definitely a nice touch. If it's not possible for launch (mostly for budget reasons I'd guess), an update if the game becomes successful enough would certainly be appreciated.

- A trickier yet important part would be gameplay - hero gameplay. As much as I enjoyed DD1, most people I tried to bring with me to tried out the game had a bad feeling about the gameplay and therefore didn't really enjoyed the game as much. Indeed, the combat sometimes feels a tad too simple. The dodge from DD:E was a good move from whoever was making the game at that time. Additionally, I feel the game could really get a bigger fanbase if the DPS/combat gameplay was more exciting. For example, a third ability, some movements abilities (especially if no dodge mechanic) for certain faster characters and one or two attack combos for melee characters would do the trick. 

- Another tricky thing: customization - gameplay customization - I love customization: I want it everywhere. It would be extremely cool to have certain modifiers/mods/upgrades/idk to make a certain tower type to behave differently. One could make it so the Fire Tower from the apprentice could apply a burning effect (damage over time) or burn the ground so enemies stepping on it take damage for example while another could increase the rate of fire and number of projectiles shot while reducing the range, size and removing the area of effect of the projectile for better close range defence. The goal is to give new ways to play the game and have more different playstyles overall. I also think such an addition as tower/ability mods could reduce the need of whole new Characters/animations/voice-lines and therefore reduce the cost to add a good part of the content and replayability.

While I know some of my suggestions - I wouldn't call them ideas since I don't find them especially creative - wouldn't exactly fit in the first two games but I think adding something new without going too far wouldn't hurt what feels like a reboot of the series 9 years later the first game. 

• Like 2

Gearscore idea sounds like a good idea. Currently in dd2 its only based on the highest geared hero, maybe it would be better to base it of some avg of maybe your top 3 heroes in dda assuming defense stat points comes from armor pieces just like in dd1 bc you would most likely need a few options for defenses to complete new tiers of difficulty. 

Skins, cool.

Visible armor, cool i guess, wont be mad if it isnt there at lanuch and wont be mad if it doesnt come at all.

Definetely agree we could benefit from some better dps gameplay. Certain mechanics like sprinting, stamina and rolling/dodging comes into mind as more exciting movement options, maybe using abilities at a certain point in your melee attack pattern could make them either stronger or weaker but at the same time, have longer cooldowns and cost more mana. 

I was a really big fan of the passive system from early dd2. Really hope they can make something like that - just maybe not necessarily as dominant with two-three passives per armor piece. I was thinking something like an impactful passive as maybe set bonus or have armor pieces roll with one passive or maybe have unique passives for special items like the incursion weapons back when they were good. 

All in all, im just excited to play dd1 with an alternate story and better UI and qol. Really hope for a best of both worlds with dd1 and dd2 combined, hoping they draw some inspiration from early dd2, especially before all the powercreep just broke certain aspects of the game. Hope they dont go over board with the amount of customization like dd2 with both shards and mods. Ideally I would love to see a simple level up tree and then armor pieces with some sort of simple passive system that could bring interesting and, to some extent, powerful passives, without breaking the game. I would much rather see different passives and new heroes than too many customization systems, altough we ofc need some of it to make the game more interesting.

Definitely agree with all you said, customization must not go overboard else we'll get stuck with a totally new game which has barely some Dungeon Defenders in it.
I think if there are tower/ability customization there should only be one passive per tower/ability at a time, just enough to add some variation.
I also think unique passives should stay more generic like in DD1 with some rare pets giving mana by attacking.

Just adding a bit more complexity in some of the mechanics will make the game far more enjoyable for those who haven't played earlier DD games yet.
Let's not forget that players are more critical about gameplay now than 9 years earlier with DD1, so keeping the exact same gameplay might not please everyone, and that's mostly why I made the original post in the first place.

• Like 2

I'd love the ability to tweak shot speed/spread/shape without having to do endless RNG farming to get it. DD2 mods would be perfect to do so, but not sure how DDA would do it. 

I totally agree about customizing! Especially the tavern and gear/flair appearances.