MrPeterPFL

Best Moss’ Hornets Nest Build?

I would like to know your Hornets build. 

Currently using Vampiric + Destruction + Defence Rate with Anti Melee + Anti Range + Anti Support

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

For me Bees are usefull because of the range they have, so i use Fire on them, to make them deal 2x damage to any Frost monster.  

• MODS = Fire + Mele damage + Ranged Damage (no mods is 100% damage, with fire is 200% and Mele+Ranges = 260% damage to any Frost Mobs)
  • SHARDS = Destruction + Rate + Deadly Strikes (all Gilded)
Edited by emilian

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, emilian said:

Hi there,

For me Bees are usefull because of the range they have, so i use Fire on them to make the deal 2x damage to any Frost monster.  

• MODS = Fire + Mele damage + Ranged Damage (no mods is 100% damage, with fire is 200% and Mele+Ranges = 260% damage to any Frost Mobs)

Bear in mind that the 2x damage the frost mobs take is only from the fire damage itself, and not the primary relic stat.

As suggested, Destruction/Rate/Deadly Strikes is best or Vamperic if you don't mind trading the range for power. 

If you don't have a gilded Rate shard, for starters, it may best to go with a rate mod as well (any quality will get you up to the rate cap) 

So Rate Servo  +Fire Servo +Anti-Melee/Anti-Orc or Anti Frost is okay if you want to target the frosties as long as you don't mind sacrificing the physical damage of the hornets. 

Anti-Mele / Support / Ranged as you have is a very good all round combo. 

Anti-Melee + Anti Chaos or Anti-Orc / Anti-Frost is good if you want to stack up the power. 

Edited by All Your Yeahs

16 hours ago, emilian said:

Hi there,

For me Bees are usefull because of the range they have, so i use Fire on them to make the deal 2x damage to any Frost monster.  

That’s interesting, I shall give it a try 👍

On 5/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, All Your Yeahs said:

Bear in mind that the 2x damage the frost mobs take is only from the fire damage itself, and not the primary relic stat.

Fire attunes bees into full fire magical damage, and thus apply to all DPS (2x on frosties)

• Like 1

Bees are very good single target defense. I'd build em for bosses personally. 

Anti-Melee; Anti-Miniboss; Def Rate

Mass Destruction; Destruction; Vamp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hailminion said:

Fire attunes bees into full fire magical damage, and thus apply to all DPS (2x on frosties)

I stand corrected. Bit of a brain fart! I was thinking of elemental chips. Like a fire chip on a weapon would do 2x damage of the chip's value only. 

Avoid letting the bees enter spawns, they bug out worse and also have a weird problem targeting geodes, skellies, and captain dreadbones. 

9 hours ago, hailminion said:

Bees are very good single target defense. I'd build em for bosses personally. 

Anti-Melee; Anti-Miniboss; Def Rate

Mass Destruction; Destruction; Vamp

I would say that since they were last changed, Hornets are not nearly as good at single targets any more because only 1 hornet from each hive can attack a target. So the effectiveness of this setup relies a lot on how many hives you have. Hive logic works better on groups because you get 3X the attack output, as opposed to a single target. 

Prior to the WM meta change, Hornets and Dryad were the meta, and for a long time. Back then all 3 hornets from 1 hive could attack 1 target, so boss killing was much easier IMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

only 1 hornet from each hive can attack a target

3 hornets right now can still attack the same a single target, no?

• Like 1

Bees have good range without Deadly Strikes so I personally use Destruction, Defense Rate, and Defense Crit Damage with Power Servo, Anti-Melee, and Anti-Orc.

I don't use an elemental servo because Bees are one of the select defenses that are physical damage.

1 hour ago, hailminion said:

3 hornets right now can still attack the same a single target, no?

From my understanding - no. That was prior to the WM shift when they rebalanced Dryad def targeting. If i have that wrong, please somebody correct me. Maybe i have that backwards. I stopped playing as her once that happened. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

From my understanding - no. That was prior to the WM shift when they rebalanced Dryad def targeting. If i have that wrong, please somebody correct me. Maybe i have that backwards. I stopped playing as her once that happened. 

You have it wrong. A maximum of 3 bees can attack a target. A single hive, while corrupt, will attack 1 target. Prior to the Protean Shift, all hives attacked the same target - it's what made them so ruthless.

I had to go dig up my notes on Dryad changes. It used to be that 1 hornet per hive could attack the same enemy, but after shift - 3 hornets  max (from save hive even) can attack 1 enemy.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Jaws_420 said:

I had to go dig up my notes on Dryad changes. It used to be that 1 hornet per hive could attack the same enemy, but after shift - 3 hornets  max (from save hive even) can attack 1 enemy.

Apologies, that's correct. One would hope that five nests hitting five targets with three bees would be better than five nests hitting three targets  but it somehow got broken, unless someone has successfully replicated using bees beyond 200 (I'd love to know how).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Little Magic Hat said:

unless someone has successfully replicated using bees beyond 200 (I'd love to know how).

u mean as only bees? or other stuff allowed.

Using only single target for maps is very hard in general. For example when getting lanes with 100+ mobs, hard to beat with only cannons, or only LSAs. 

• Like 1

I liked all of Dryads defs a whole lot more before all of their targeting algorithms were changed. I'd love to see those reverted or further revamped. I don't need them as a meta, but s strong viable def at least. I never use Dryad anymore because of this 😥

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/23/2019 at 6:47 PM, hailminion said:

u mean as only bees? or other stuff allowed.

Using only single target for maps is very hard in general. For example when getting lanes with 100+ mobs, hard to beat with only cannons, or only LSAs. 

It didn't used to be an issue and should technically be less of an issue now that they're meant to hit more targets. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 4:48 AM, Little Magic Hat said:

It didn't used to be an issue and should technically be less of an issue now that they're meant to hit more targets. 

Not sure how it was then, but that sounds like the nerf was well-deserved lol. 

When non-AOE defense can do the job of AOE defense of taking care swarm lanes, with the ability of hitting single target like bosses 10 times harder, they probably eliminate the purpose of AOE defense. That sounds like a huge balance issue. 

Edited by hailminion

I'm currently using:

Shards: Mass-destruction, Gilded-destruction, Gilded-rate

Mods: Power servo, Anti-melee servo, Melee-explosion servo

Tooltips shows around 1,46M DPS tier1, with no buffs. Power Pylon takes it up to 1,72M if i remember correctly. 

This setup works pretty good all around source of damage, that I can support out with other, more spesified defences. 

On 5/26/2019 at 1:48 AM, Little Magic Hat said:

That was my first thought as well when i read about the change back then. From the logic of it, i would assume it was actually a buff. But in implementation of that new system, it was decidedly a nerf, and Dryad dropped from the meta. It was a big change. Hornets feel very...underwhelming now. I use them as much as i used WM before the last meta shift, which is to say - never. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, Little Magic Hat said:

unless someone has successfully replicated using bees beyond 200 (I'd love to know how).

If i'm allowed to reroll swarm lanes and do moderate to small lanes for map, i think it's doable.