Sign in to follow this  
hailminion

Is there reason to maintain the wall on Onslaught?

Posted (edited)

A long while ago, when DDA announcement came out, I had speculated that the wall at f945 might be removed. 

The GREAT WALL was implemented so that it is near impossible to finish the game, so that CG/TE could have more time to create new content for us before/while we reach the finish line. Understandble. However, now that we all know CG will fully devote themselves into DDA, is there a reason to proceed with the idea to remain dd2 as an endless-unbeatable game? 

The mindset right now apparently has not changed. Wall was so that ppl couldn't move after 945. Shatter combo was nerfed after few moved up some floors with the combo. Same with petrify (this one was collateral nerf from the combo itself being unreasonably OP, admittedly). 

Frankly, even if re-positioning The GREAT WALL at f999, and linearly scale mobs from f945 to f999, it'll still be extremely hard to beat, and probably still only 5 people will get there. 

I'm just curious, at this point, is there a reason to keep players from finishing the game, and keep us from moving on? (for those weirdos like me who like to finish something they started, before moving on)

309802169_945wall.thumb.jpg.107a2195a542aad6a70ed9b94fcb4cb5.jpg

wall.jpg

Edited by hailminion
nvm, got it
  • Like 1

There is no finishing of DD2. If you get to floor 999 and beat it, there is nothing waiting for you as a reward or in celebration. You reset and do it all over again, or not. That is DD2. U enjoy the grind, or you are likely playing the wrong game. 

• Like 1

the idea of a wall in onslaught is nonsensical, climbing to 999 is the ultimate grind and the top players can feel a sense of completion after reaching that floor. Late game onslaught is a joke, rewards cap out below floor 100 and playing beyond that offers no incentive or advantages. I've continued to climb for the challenge in difficulty to really test the limits of my builds, especially since players were given so much power with the implementation of mods yet no content to counter the increase in power, but that is a different issue. If this really is a grind game, why is there no reward for players who put in the time & effort for climbing high onslaught? (Floor 100+)

@Jaws_420 is your idea of this being a grind game to play c7 or floor 85-88 continuously?

Once players have accumulated their specific mods/shards for their builds, let them achieve that sense of accomplishment by hitting the end goal of 999. Otherwise, it all feels entirely superfluous.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, almost everything about DD2 is a grind except story mode. You are meant to play expeditions over and over again. Same with incursions if you want to get a weapon to drop. Onslaught is pure grind. Even mastery has a grind as many levels took multiple attempts at to get the 5 star reward. Very few things are hit it and quit it.

To your question though- yes, those are the only ones i play anymore, apart from weekly challenges. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

Quite frankly, almost everything about DD2 is a grind except story mode.

17 hours ago, hailminion said:

for those weirdos like me who like to finish something they started, before moving on

As dewkin mentioned as well, for people like me (mayb him too), it's a sense of completion of something we started, and the feeling of achievement and satisfaction from that. 

Mastery is a grind for sure, is there a reason to go beyond Automation Shard? was there any reason (before Tenacity ability announcement) to even reach automation? all those who did it, did it to complete the mode. To show off? sometimes really not so much, but more to finish for themselves

And frankly, I've never done a single expedition (or incursion more than once) again after I reached c7 shortly (except 2 or 3 games with Term and FISK for fun). Because there is no sense of completion or progression doing expedition at all. It's a road with no end nor even starting point, and mindless repeating content (For real, exactly the same repeating content). (Ironically I was saying the other day, all that changes in Onslaught, besides mutator, is a number.  and Expedition doesn't even give a number) 

As much as I agree and want more rewards in onslaught mode, it is the only mode (after mastery) that offers diversity in every floor I go to, all lanes always different, map always changing, challenges always coming and may catch me on surprise if not prepared. Now it's the same reason/motivation with mastery, is there any reason to go higher than 100? Absolutely no.

What supports people to keep going, is the desire to complete this mode, the desire to reach player's potential (which is set by CG to be impossible, and hence this thread), and the desire to finish off the very last game mode that have yet to be finished. 

Very likely we're the same dumb people who just want to finish Mastery to 735 just to see that # of stars go up to fill the bar and feel completed; and the same people who do meaningless tasks just to fulfill the requirement for those achievements of games before switching;  Although there are no meaning behind any game achievements of any game at all (aside from satisfaction and completion), it should never justify actions intentionally making those achievements impossible to complete. 

• Like 1

Mastery can be finished, the fact it came out and had active competition during its prime (Before mods and wm let you afk the hardest mode) gave it a reason. The shards at the time were something cool, the crowns for top 10 was something to strive for. Just like ons had the floor 114 flairs at the start, it was a nice reward for something challenging (Now not so much as more or less everyone got it). As the game progressed they have just made it easier and easier to achieve everything, instead of building onto it and tweaking the challenge. Its now 945 floors of who can cheese the best, with 0 rewards after welfare floors. 

For the longest time i expected them to actually go back and re-tweak the mode, they kinda did but every tweak made it easier and dumber. The "rewards" are still stuck in afk-ville, a skin/flair for every 100 floors and finally one for 999 would be the ultimate goal (Those crystalline skins could had come to great use there instead of being a backer thing)

I just find it tragic that they had to go do this after Marcos hit 999, its a pathetic way of stopping players. They might aswell remove every floor above 945 and just say "WIP coming soon"

I agree. The reward system definately needs a look at. Maybe even some of the defender medal pets could be introduced as a reward for high floors? On a plus side, it will be interesting to see what direction and changes can be made if the community development team get to take over sometime in the near future, and one can hope that they have some freedom to do some changes and add more content. 

I don't understand why floors or, with a few exceptions, ascension points are capped at all.  I wish the system was set up to reward infinite grinding on a logarithmic scale.

• Like 1