Sign in to follow this  
Obeast

Can Chaos X gear beat Chaos X?

Just started about 2 weeks ago. Fun game, but still don't understand why I can beat a certain chaos level when my gear fits the requirements. It's kind of stupid if I can't solo say a chaos 1 when I have chaos 1 legendaries. I can barely get passed a chaos level lower than my chaos gear requirement without getting overwhelmed on the 1st wave!  I've tried hundreds of different tower builds, but still, maybe I'm missing something. I guess there is the ascension lvl aspect, but honestly why can't I solo a chaos level when my gear fits the level chaos I can enter? It makes this game kind of difficult to start when you have to rely on high level ascension players to keep carrying you. There's no solo aspect to this game. Sounds pretty dumb if I have to grind lower chaos levels to boost my ascension points. Too tedious for my taste. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I think we've all been there at one point or another so i feel your frustration! 

The gear that the chaos tier is in is only a base, there are many more factors and the jump from campaign or adventures to chaos can be challenging for the beginner.  Being carried is not the best way to go about it and can suck the fun out of the game but it can be a quick way to farm up some useful mods and shards. 

The game can be grindy. Ascension level shouldn't be a big factor at all through chaos and don't sweat it too much. However, as you gain assension just make sure to put your first bunch of points into defense speed, and defense crit chance (first) then crit damage, and then on to hero crit chance/damage and look to max those out first before anything else.

Defense speed plays a big factor in relation to DPS, so try and find relics that have a defense speed mod, even if it's a low number it will have a noticable benefit.

Other exremely useful mods to have on a relic that will hit the mobs hard would be any Anti-Mod Servo. The top finds would be Anti-Melee, Anti-Orc, Anti-Chaos and Anti-Ranged. also, any of these 'stacked' together on the same relic will be very strong. For example, on a flame aura you could have Anti-Melee, Anti Chaos, and Defense Rate. 

For shards, there is not much of a choice for you that drop early game apart from Defensive Critical Damage which is a must.

The Destruction shard found in Chaos 1 will have an impact, and is not to hard to come by. However, If you feel the need to splash out your hard earned defender medals, get yourself to the shard vendor. Perhaps the single most valuable shard is Defense Rate, found in the chaos 4 tier. At 1000 medals it's a little pricey but It will have a huge impact on your damage numbers and is worth buying at least one. Trying to farm one later on will need the RNG gods on your side. Also, Deadly Strikes from Chaos 3 is another extremely useful shard. Ideally, aim to have these 3 shards in every defense (exept most blockades) as they are pretty much best in slot.

Also, for Chaos 1, be aware of the special enemy known as the Vangaurd, or 'shieldies' who march ahead with a big shield up front that will reflect any projectiles from your weapon or towers. So try to avoid using projectile based towers (unless they are attacking them to the side or rear) and use flame auras or explosive traps instead. Alternatively, equip yourself a relic or weapon that has a Piercer Servo or Chip that will peirce the shields but at a somewhat reduced damage. 

Crowd control is also a big deal. For starters, try using the Earthshatter towers along with Poison dart towers. The mobs will be petrified and stopped in thier tracks. You also could use the Huntress's geyser trap to drench the enemies, and then have a relic with Storm damage on your cannonballs, when the baddies are hit, it will poduce the electrocute combo, slowing and stunning them in thier tracks. 

Aaannnd finally.. without much more of my rambling, I applaud anyone for getting this far..! if you haven't already, then go check out Mr Juicebags on youtube and check out his latest guides. 

Have fun! 

Edited by All Your Yeahs

Nice thing about DD2, if you are stuck - just keep playing levels you can beat and you will keep getting stronger. Keep an eye out for better gear, mods, and shards.

• Like 1