Moobehtsw

Kickstarter shipping fees

When adding the needed info and adding a switch skin to the kickstarter page something went wrong and it shows the addon costs 1000euro for the 1 item that is added0DCA95D9-63D6-4369-8778-B8DC0EA8E10D.thumb.png.79c57b8f81b67b2f1b124aacd02c959d.png

• Sad 1

Nice... ;) almost as bad as the Extra $45Aud postage...... was NOT happy about that... already $200 into DDA... it better be bloody good ;)

Well, looks like they have responded about shipping costs. Not the $1000 bug, but in general. People who have ordered physical goods' options, are apperently the following.

Pay and recieve the goods.

Or refuse the goods, still pay, then go through a refund process...

This really is poor form. Posting this is how they are doing it and then closing the thread so people cannot reply directly is also poor form.

As far as I could tell, there has been no estimate on these fees anywhere on the kickstarter itself, something I know for certain that EU law states has to be displayed clearly at purchase. Paying and fighting for a refund is not the way to conduct buisness either, and if anything, should offer a full refund. They are basically holding what people have paid for already at ransom and forcing them to pay the delivery.

If they pay the delivery, they have spent more than they were told they would need to. If they turn down the goods, they only state you will refund the shipping costs, meaning the money they spent on the tier to get the goods will be lost.

How do they think this is okay? This is not a headache this is fraud.

I'm so glad all my stuff is digital so it will not affect me. But please sort this out for everyone else ASAP.

• Like 6

Exactly.

The t-shirt (and credit name) is a reward for the 40$ tier from 30$.

That mean if I refuse the t-shirt, my reward from the 40$ tier is only my name in the credit AND I will have to wait for a refund on the shipping fee.

Refund that will probably take another month if not more.

So in my 75$ pledge, I lost the 10$ for the t-shirt but still have to pay for it.

Want me to pay then how about you refund the shipping, the t-shirt (and the poster) ?

• Like 2

I find that quite entertaining to see with the skin, better be made of platinum!

I think we need to take into consideration with shipping costs, everyone is blaming Chromatic games but it is not really on them, maybe they choose a poor distributer idk however it is not Chromatic saying "HAD ME $40" it IS a 3rd company - however Chromatic is the front face we all know and is taking the hit.

Maybe if we are lucky there is perks behind this like expedited shipping (cause honestly thats what the cost sounds like) in the past I have easily paid $30 for importing games to USA. So hopefully that is what the cost is for!

Posted (edited)

I agree with you @TheDarkCrucible, but I think you might've misunderstood why people are upset. 

Let me magnify the problem a bit and fit it into a real life example. 

3$ for a Big Mac; 5$ for Big Mac with French Fries & Milk Shake. 

You ordered delivery for 5$ combo;

After you paid for it, you receive a follow-up call asking for 10$ delivery fee for the extra French Fries & Milk Shake (which was not listed)

Now you have the option to pay 15$ for the extra Fries & Shake, or you can turn down the delivery fee, and end up paying 5$ for a single Big Mac. (they refuse to refund for payment of Fries & Shake, bcuz it's part of the combo)

It really doesn't matter if that 10$ delivery fee gets you the meal in one minute lightening speed. It's the fact that, you either over-pay for unexpected reasons, or you "voluntarily" give up something you paid for. 

(There's a huge difference if we are told 3$+1$ for Big mac; 5$+10$ for Combo at the time of ordering.) 

Edited by hailminion
  • Like 1

Alright first of all this sucks. But since I'm from Germany I'm used to dealing with bullshit with shipping and all. I checked a couple of 3rd party services like Borderlinx and 30USD shipping seems to be the norm to get any size package to Germany so I can only blame Chromatic for not making it clear upfront that there will be shipping. The price itself is actually reasonable. 30bucks is not worth it for me to get a shirt and a poster although it would've been quite neat.

For all of you who can live without the physical goods but don't want to deal with the refund and all just select USA as your country (also works on the last page where you enter the address). Shipping in the USA is free so you won't be charged any extra. To make life easier for everyone just put in something like "I don't want my physical goods" in all the fields (even Zip Code) and submit the address when promted that it cannot be verified. Worked for me just now.

Maybe we will get a better solution for shipping at some point but I doubt it. What a shame

• Like 1

International shipping of physical goods is never cheap. I worked in the shopping business for years. Everyone outside of the home country of the Kickstarter company should expect elevated charges on all shipments. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sure I can understand how the shipping of international goods is not cheap. But how is it fair that people within the U.S. get free shipping?  Like a lot of people already, I actually stupidly let my heart rule my head and went and paid the $30..

it's not whether we should expect the delivery charges or not..  the fact of the matter is that no delivery charges were mentioned at all in the kickstarter and therefore It would have been reasonable enough of us to assume that the delivery charges for any physical goods would have been included in the pledge amount. 

It's a farce and there shouldn't be any excuses. CG should have spent more time in preperation before releasing the kickstarter as they didn't even have an idea of of how they were going to do the surveys. It's like it took them by surprise or something. 

They can't expect people to simply give up thier physical goods. Why was there no part refund ever offered to us? or as an alternative they could have simply offered us an extra digital copy of the game.. or say 3000 gems for DD2. Anything..

I get the sense from reading a couple of posts lately that at least one backer feels like they have been cheated or scammed and want to back out. Sounds harsh. But thats reality. It's not a good look, and more so if they're new to the DD franchise. It makes CG look unprofessional.

I have supported the DD franchise for some years now and you will probably still have my continued support. But CG, you need to sort this out before the reputation which you're trying to build starts going down the plughole.  You are better than this. I wish you the best and of course, I'm still looking forward to DDA with high hopes like most of us.

But please.. try and remember:

The customer is always right. 

Edited by All Your Yeahs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, All Your Yeahs said:

it's not whether we should expect the delivery charges or not..  the fact of the matter is that no delivery charges were mentioned at all in the kickstarter and therefore It would have been reasonable enough of us to assume that the delivery charges for any physical goods would have been included in the pledge amount. 

I don't think that's completely reasonable, or they would barely make any money off of some of the pledge tiers.

They definitely should have clarified that there were going to be fees for delivery in the kickstarter, as they can't expect everyone involved to already know rules and prices for international shipping, and it was also not exactly fantastic that they were so hesitant to release any information on why the surveys took so long to get in order.

But the shipping being free shouldn't be a matter of course. We are trying to help them finance a game first and foremost, if several of their pledge tiers made them almost no money as a result of shipping costs it'd make no sense.

Edited by Crombell
Typo
  • Like 2

Here is what I know after "READING" kickstarter FAQ and creating a fake project:

https://imgur.com/a/ROjalGe?

They have chosen no shipping involved in all the tier reward.

Before launch, they should have known anything related to shipping (note from "important" notice).
They hid the shipping cost from us, nothing in the Campaign/FAQ about it.

From the last update we know that they are doing research about the shipping cost.

Does that mean they did nothing beforehand ? 

Quote from the news: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chromaticgames/dungeon-defenders-awakened/posts/2486911

"Over the past month+, we've been trying to nail down a specific shipping fulfillment process for you, our most faithful backers. It's been a path with a lot of ups and downs, and unfortunately until we have a fulfillment method locked down, we are unable to get the surveys out."

And now they expect us to pay 30$ to ship a 10$ t-shirt.
Or pay 30$ and don't get the 10$ shirt + waiting undetermined amount of time for the refund.

30$, "specific shipping fulfillment process for you"

30$, for a shirt and a poster.

30$, 3/4 of the 40$ tier.

30$, 2/5 of my 75$ tier.

Checking other kickstarter from US the shipping cost to France is 15$ for a board game (25*18*5) but 30$ for a T-SHIRT and a poster!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Appreciate the info there Matthew974. A real eye opener.

Just to add, I can't seem to find a reference now but I think it was said in one of thier Friday streams, that they were then looking at getting regional based manufactureres and distributers at least to get the t-shirts out to us so as to minimize the shipping cost. Which surely most of us originally thought was included. 

But.. that aparrently turned out too complicated and so it seems they are shipping them from the U.S. and now feel the need to pass on that somewhat great financial burden SPECIFICALLY to us international customers?

One factor some have brought up is the sizing. Us EU customers for example could end up with totally the wrong size. Imagine the headache then.. They need to advise people so they can check the sizing. 

Obviously at this stage, we really cant expect them to bare the extra shipping cost, but If they can't honour the goods for the ammount pledged, as I already mentioned, they could at least simply offer us extra digital ad-ons to make up for the loss of the physical goods promised and at little to zero financial cost to them. But NO such thing.

Edited by All Your Yeahs
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

No response or update about refunds or a way to get money for physical goods back.

I'm starting a chargeback on my end with my credit card company. Withholding shipping costs beforehand and holding my money hostage afterwards is against EU laws in many ways. 

it's a shame. loved DD1 wanted to back you guys into getting a similar/ better experience and now all this.

You cannot expect patience on our side without returning decent communication.

I'm out. CG has not made a good first impression on me and my peers here in Europe.

Edited by FriedKentacoBell

I feel the main gripe with the delivery costs was that there was no hint in advance that backers could or would be charged for delivery. I understand that international shipping is expensive and chromatic may not be able to cover such costs, the problem most have is after spending money to then be asked out of seemingly nowhere for more money. It is up to each individual if they wish to pay for delivering the physical goods or not, but  it is giving pad PR to be forced to pay for it then ask for a refund afterwards. I agree as a form of good will with how these charges came about and how those unwilling to pay for delivery are now having to deal with it CG could offer digital rewards instead. whether or not thet get the physical goods its still something they paid for and it would go a long way to easing peoples reactions if they were offered an alternative eg do you want a t-shirt or X costume/giraffe etc.  I realise even with the offer of digital goods some backers will not be happy, but I feel even with everything we should be willing to give the Devs another chance. Not everyone is familiar with kickstarter  and "how it is usually done" and I am sure the Devs came  across some problems as welll. 

2 minutes ago, dizzydiana said:

but I feel even with everything we should be willing to give the Devs another chance. Not everyone is familiar with kickstarter  and "how it is usually done" and I am sure the Devs came  across some problems as welll. 

Have you read Matthew974's post?

Posted (edited)

I did read all the posts, I personally backed at the $100 tier and was upset at having to spend a further $30 for shipping. I feel perhaps Chormatic had hoped to secure a method of delivery that they could absorb the cost. I agree they most definately should of mentioned in advance that shipping was not included and may be additional charge. The lack of clear information and basic lack of updates about what has been happening since the start of Kickstarter has left a bad taste in all our mouths. I dont want to throw all the muck at CG without knowing all the facts and on conjecture. Some of the memebers here are allot more familiar with the usual practices of Kickstarter than I and perhaps Chromatic (who really should of done their due dillagance in this matter). Without knowing all what went on behind the scenes it is difficult to say with certainty what the original intention of CG was. If they truly believed that they would not have to pass on delivery costs, is it still fair to throw them allot of clear disgust? My issues with them is based on the clear lack of information presented to us, which they cannot deny.

Edited by dizzydiana

I want to believe in them but they need to communicate more and be transparent. I still don't know why we have to pay 30$, so I try to understand.

I did try to estimate how much the total shipping cost will be (30k?) but with what we know it's hard to estimate.

There is 2169 backers with a physical reward (Tier 40$+, excluding tier 500).

On the project community tab we know that half the backers are from the US and we also know that US backer don't have shipping fee in the survey. I don't have the top countries per tier but assuming that half the physical reward goes to US, I don't think shipping will be free.

Yet US backers pay nothing. To send a 500g (shirt + "large printed celebratory poster") package from France to France we have to pay 5€. Assuming it's the same for US, who will pay the +5k€ (1000 US backer * 5€) for the US shipping?

This is just a guess but my answer: every non US backers.

Or maybe they believed that they could cover the shipping cost but the kickstarter ended with 185% of the goal so doubling the shipping cost.

Well we can all make assumptions until CG make a statement. Also I find it funny that there is a dev tracker on the right side of the forum, make it easier for us to know when a dev post. Last forum message is from last week, same for twitter and discord but I know that they are watching and reading most of our messages. 

It's Wednesday and in a few hours US offices will close. If no news tomorrow maybe they took the week to think and will use the friday stream to talk about it. 

For any further discussions on the shipping cost, please use the megathread outlined here.

In regards to the shipping costs added onto the vinyl JoyCon, we're only shipping to continental NA for those. BackerKit does not permit us to restrict it from appearing to only certain region, and their official recommendation is to add a severe shipping cost as shown there. If you are getting that increased cost in the continental US or Canada, please let me know. Otherwise, that is by all means intended.

Posted (edited)

So since im european im ineligible from buyong anything from the shop? That makes no sense at all. I dont see this restriction mentioned :S

Edited by Moobehtsw

5 minutes ago, Moobehtsw said:

So since im european im ineligible from buyong anything from the shop? That makes no sense at all. I dont see this restriction mentioned :S

Specifically because of the shipping issues we ran into with other products is why we're not offering specifically the Joy-Con vinyl covers. That's why in the description for that item, it explicitly states where it is available:

LOgLX9s.png

Because we have fulfillment setup for the T-shirts, the T-shirts on the store follow the same shipping rates that our Kickstarter backers receive, and are included to be shipped to the same locations. The postcard is treated like a postcard, so we handle the very simple shipping on it. Everything else on the store is a digital good, so shipping is not something that is a part of the transaction.