MrPeterPFL

Draken Lord in lower Chaos Levels

How do new DD2 players deal with the Draken Lord? 

There’s no tooltip, no Burning Strikes shard available for them, do they even know about elemental combos? All they’re given is a Oil mod that drops randomly. 

I know there’s the Huntress as a starter Hero but how many would know that her abilities can stop the Draken Lord? 

Edited by MrPeterPFL
Correction

That's the fascinating part of the game. We learn by trial and error, by asking questions; we pick up little by little, and excel better and better with experiences and knowledge built up. 

might just be me, but I personally feel a lot rewarding when I figure out and/or test out mechanics/builds myself, instead of having a handbook that walks me step by step and make the whole game a tutorial experience. 

On 5/9/2019 at 6:28 AM, MrPeterPFL said:

How do new DD2 players deal with the Draken Lord? 

There’s no tooltip, no Burning Strikes shard available for them, do they even know about elemental combos? All they’re given is a Oil mod that drops randomly. 

I know there’s the Huntress as a starter Hero but how many would know that her abilities can stop the Draken Lord? 

Well my question to new player would be have you tried - google - DD2 how to kill drakenlord?

I mean - i meet a lot of new players - what they usually have in common is - the lack of information and put effort to find it and want to get carried as fast as possible - and on first struggle they QUIT:)

Just 2 days ago i was willing to help a guy to climb onslaught 32, after i join he basically told me he got carried until that point and never even tried to build defense. After i told him some basics and if he can build  - he said he cannot take this anymore and left and also blocked me on discord:) very nice experience

This attitude says a lot about maturity of players in real life and how they face challenges - just quit. On the other side i meet a lot of newbies - who are willing to take help and struggle and the succeed. Thanks for this guys - you will be successful in life too i am sure:)

So my answer to your question is this:

We have discord, twitch, forum, youtube, wiki - massive amount of info is there, many tutorials by  mr juicebags on all aspects of a game. So dear new player - use your mouse and keyboard and your head and you will learn in few hours everything.

• Any Oil Source + Fire Source
  • Huntress - Oil Flask + Piercing Shot
  • Burning Strikes Shard on any weapon
  • Lavamancer - Oil Weapon + Attacks or Eruption
  • Barbarian - 1 Oil + 1 Fire Weapon
  • Huntress - Piercing Flame Servo

All these methods will light the Drakenlord.

Although it is a bug at the moment, if Petrified (Earth + Poison or Maw of the Earth Drake) they will take full damage from any source regardless of barrier condition.

Well, I admit that some hint or tooltip for first timers would be a good idea, but usually it is a worthwhile incentive given that Oil Flask and Piercing Shot together are devastating if the Huntress' AP is high.

11 hours ago, atharix said:

I mean - i meet a lot of new players - what they usually have in common is - the lack of information and put effort to find it and want to get carried as fast as possible - and on first struggle they QUIT:)

Just 2 days ago i was willing to help a guy to climb onslaught 32, after i join he basically told me he got carried until that point and never even tried to build defense. After i told him some basics and if he can build  - he said he cannot take this anymore and left and also blocked me on discord:) very nice experience

This attitude says a lot about maturity of players in real life and how they face challenges - just quit. On the other side i meet a lot of newbies - who are willing to take help and struggle and the succeed. Thanks for this guys - you will be successful in life too i am sure:)

I get that him being new and pre-C5 is no excuse to not overcome it, but at least he is asking here on this forum and that is still a viable option.

Although I do agree with the get carried and quit part. I actually got blocked by a guy who got mad when I told him off for wanting Mastery to change so that his 2 GWs, Barb, Wpn Manu stunlock AFK builds could work while he got high, under the excuses that losing to "dumb shit" was not fun.

It sounds like the guy who you were trying to help was a leech and wanted everything to suit his needs like he was entitled or something.

Edited by ChrisH36
  • Thanks 1

In my day, games came with things called "guides", and these "guides" helped explain the game for you. No having to Google every single thing just so you can play a single round/map/level. The games considered the best were good at giving you challenges based on your skill level and not your ability at recreating the basic game manual. 

• Like 4

On 5/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, hailminion said:

That's the fascinating part of the game. We learn by trial and error, by asking questions; we pick up little by little, and excel better and better with experiences and knowledge built up. 

might just be me, but I personally feel a lot rewarding when I figure out and/or test out mechanics/builds myself, instead of having a handbook that walks me step by step and make the whole game a tutorial experience. 

Oh it’s definitely rewarding when you have the answer, but it’s also frustrating if you don’t have the answer and it’s a continuious cycle on losing against the same boss. Imagine if Chromatic Games introduce a new Fire Boss that is immune to almost anything but is extremely vulnerable when it is frozen. How would anyone know that using Water + Frost would defeat this boss without some sort of guide or hint? 

I’m not saying a full blown tutorial but maybe they could have an interaction with Oil+Fire in the Adventure Mode (Which should be compulsory). This will make users understand his weakest so when the user does encounter the Draken Lord again in the future, they’ll have a better understanding on defeating him, instead of throwing them under the bus. 

Edited by MrPeterPFL
Additional info
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 5:12 AM, ChrisH36 said:
I get that him being new and pre-C5 is no excuse to not overcome it, but at least he is asking here on this forum and that is still a viable option.

Thank you for defending me and thank you for creating this list but I am not new to the game, I was farming Chaos 1 for Chaos 1 Amps and Motes. I’ve watched many new players in my lobby who dive head first against the Draken Lord and die repeatedly. It makes me think back to when I was a new player, I never had type of boss before. If I had to face a invulnerable boss and manage other lanes, I would be extremely frustrated and possibly quit the game. 

• Like 2

That's kinda why I'd still prefer drakenlorded DK to be in Incursions. That gamemodes mostly full of unusual game mechanics. Having drakenlorded DK in expeditions while all other maps doesn't have unusual mechanics is quite out of place.

Or...just create a splash/loading screen regarding the Drakenlord.

Even creating the Dragonfall Tome of Encounters (an almanac) that records every single enemy when encountered would be great.

Edited by Paloverde zfogshooterz
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, MrPeterPFL said:

Oh it’s definitely rewarding when you have the answer, but it’s also frustrating if you don’t have the answer and it’s a continuious cycle on losing against the same boss. Imagine if Chromatic Games introduce a new Fire Boss that is immune to almost anything but is extremely vulnerable when it is frozen. How would anyone know that using Water + Frost would defeat this boss without some sort of guide or hint? 

idk, I would probably learn the same way I did with Draken lord (I honestly forgot how). No one would know until we try I guess. 

and intuitively, u've thought of the answer yourself too, u would counter Burning w/ Freeze or Ice w/ Burn by common sense, which is most likely the way devs would design the game. 

It's not like some weird mechanics to deal damage with boss only after fire+earth+water+poison. 

Edit: derp me, I just recalled there were hints actually. So likely a Fire Boss would be implemented into a volcano map I guess? with some water source and frost source inside the volcano? 

Edited by hailminion

One issue is that you can end up fighting Drakenlord long before you play his stage that has hints about how to beat him. My main issue is that defending against him requires basically a hard counter, and now you permanently lose 1 shard slot to Burning Strikes forever more, reducing creativity in hero builds. 

• Like 1

Ofc, I think everyone agrees on that when Drakenlord came out, resulting me always have a hero for the boss/map in the deck as hot swap, and I active others w/o limiting myself, which is indeed very annoying.  

17 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

reducing creativity in hero builds

I just dislike the concept of having a tutorial for hard counters we need to know, rather than from exploring. Just like having to counter unstoppable with Water+Storm, or HS/unstoppable mobs/bosses with Water+Ice, or Poison+Earth to drop flyers to ground. Game would give a lot less satisfactions when all hard-counter answers to mechanics are given out as tutorial. 

but I guess it's a personal preference thing, and ppl just have diff opinions on how the game should approach players instead of how player approaching the game. 

Edited by hailminion
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:43 PM, Jaws_420 said:

One issue is that you can end up fighting Drakenlord long before you play his stage that has hints about how to beat him. My main issue is that defending against him requires basically a hard counter, and now you permanently lose 1 shard slot to Burning Strikes forever more, reducing creativity in hero builds. 

And yet you can accomplish the same thing with a Lavamancer + Oil Chip or a Barbarian with Oil/Fire together (I have both) and eliminate the need for Burning Strikes.

The Drakenlord is also bugged with petrification right now as you can stone it while it's emitting the aura and it takes full dmg.

Edited by ChrisH36

It kind of reminds me of whilst first encountering a Seige Roller in campaign, and how we had to figure out they had a weakpoint. After a little trial and error and head scratching, we did it. But I can see how the Draken Lord might be a bigger challenge for new players. 

One aspect of the Draken Lord i find is the fact that it adds an extra challenge akin to the rollers, that forces you to be more alert and can make it alomost impossible to afk some maps.. which for some players can be a bit of a double-edged sword, but personally, I kind of like it. 

Edited by All Your Yeahs