Interesting idea...well, to me anyway.

After participating in my first holiday event where extra flair was essentially free for just logging in each day, this idea started forming.  While my favorite word in the English language is "free", there are times where I want to do a little work for my reward.  That being said, here goes.

Concept:  

Weekly Dragonfall Invasions on the weekends only, both Saturdays & Sundays to maximize player availability and word of mouth marketing from the player base, again word of mouth marketing for upcoming DDA, and as a new advertising angle for all versions of the game as a whole...but mostly for the fun of it.

New Bosses and NPC's:  

There is a new main boss, let's call this new boss "BBTPAB" for "Big Bad Town Portal Attack Boss" from here forward...LOL.
There is a new NPC, we'll call them "SDM" or "Spawn Defense Mages" from here forward as well.

Map:  

Modified Dragonfall Town Players Hub

Overall Mechanics:

NOTE:  To ease the design, programming, and implementation of this new event; I'm covering story, gameplay, and the proposed technical aspects of this idea all mixed together in the way I think it makes sense...but maybe I'm an idiot, so hopefully readers understand it.

The event both starts and finishes with a cut scene.  The story line reasoning behind the content of these cut scenes and yet the siege continuing is because BBTPAB knows that at least some heroes are off vacationing and handling personal business...the Huntress is getting her nails done, the Apprentice is working on his tan, the Squire is on the prowl for maidens because he IS the Squire after all, and the Monk is meditating because what else would he be doing, right?

The start of the event is a "Sneak Attack" and is a complete bullcrap, cheaterific, ninja magics summoning of SUPER Dark Assassins that one shot players and NPC's alike in said cut scene.  This sneak attack cut scene begins at a seemingly random time from the players' perspective, but is a programed event set by devs and can be modified from weekend to weekend if desired.  If it were me leading the project, I would set it up to start at a point when the number of logged in players is at its highest, something I'm positive is already being recorded and evaluated.

Again, because cut scenes ease programming burden, everyone getting killed off with no chance to survive or fight let's players load a modified version of the Dragonfall player hub map.  BBTPAB has recruited every mob type and mini-boss type currently in the game to lay siege to the town in an attempt to wipe out all heroes in one fell swoop.  Sieges occur on both Saturdays and Sundays, because obviously once the heroes kick his @$$ over the weekend, BBTPAB will need time to recruit more cannon fodder for his evil plot.  My idea for Siege Theme and Duration would be constant build phases and combat phases for roughly 2 hours, but whatever works.

The map load, again using a modified version of the Dragonfall Town player hub, simplifies the development and programming aspect because it's "just another map" (to understate the entire design and implementation process on an epic level, of course LOL).

Players load into the event town map in the normal, initial spawn location inside the room with the Map Table.  The NPC's are all dead where they stood, buildings are on fire, the sky is raining meteors, the ground is cracked, and there are random skeletons here and there to symbolize the players killed in the opening cut scene.  Your basic run-of-the-mill Poc-Eclipse type stuff.

The Map Table is left open for players who want regular play, but all other "escape" portals from town are locked because BBTPAB has those bullcrap, cheaterific, ninja magics like that...but ninja magics come with a cost.

First Cost:  Increased DU in this map, but each player can only build a maximum of 3 defenses.

Second Cost: Expanded area of the map that defenses can be placed so as to cover the entire map.

Third Cost:  A one way permeable magic barrier held in place by new NPC's, who we'll call SDM or Spawn Defense Mages.  They continuously channel the barrier (because there has to be a reason and graphics for why the barrier is in place).  Their story line is that they were a secret "Special Defense Forces" group held in reserve and kept secret by the powers that be, in the event of this type of attack.  The barrier is at the opening of the spawn point inside the main room where the Map Table is.  Players can go out through it into the rest of town, but neither wave monsters nor players can cross back into the spawn room.

Map Objective Mechanics:

Like normal maps, build phase timers work like group build phase timers except the event starts as if all but one player has clicked "Ready", and waves are not timed but require completion to move into another build phase.

Unlike normal maps, there is no gem cart, but there are secondary objectives. My idea was three total, each of which modify the event experience for players.  These objectives could be placed wherever the devs decide, but my ideas for them are as follows.  For starters, the objectives are reactive to one another.  All three are up at the beginning of the event; however if one is destroyed a cycle begins.  Upon the a objective's destruction, the mobs receive modified pathing to the next closest objective.  If all three are destroyed, 5 players can focus-repair one of them to start the objective respawn cycle.  Once that repair is complete on the chosen objective, a timer of let's say 5 minutes starts.  When the timer ends another objective may be focus-repaired by 5 players, and this process keeps repeating for the duration of the event.  The first secondary objective continually gives players loot bonuses so long as it survives, and devs can make this either the closest objective to mob portals, or the furthest away depending upon how generous they're feeling and how popular they want this event to be. ;D  The second secondary objective, as I allow myself to introduce...myself, determines the spawn rate of the mob portals, keeping it at a lower rate so long as the objective survives, increasing the normal mob spawn rate, but more specifically the mini-boss mob spawn rate of portals.  The third secondary objective determines mob type, health, and damage.  When this objective is destroyed, portals only spawn mini-boss mobs with respect to health and damage capabilities until the 5 minutes timer finishes and a 5 player focus-repair of another secondary objective is complete.

Rewards

Loot:

In general it would be increased to the full group rate, with each player receiving individual loot from each mob they "tagged".  I say tagged as in they did actual significant damage to the mob in question, so that players can't just be carried through the events and soak extra loot as it would ruin both the leveling experience of the game as well as the game's economy.  Using Mastery as something of a template, here is my idea for a tiered reward system.

Progression Rewards:

First Tier:  Player receives bonus gold at various survival marks for no death's during an event, capping at surviving the event with no death's at all. 5k gold increments adjusted for individual Ascension bonuses.

Second Tier:  Upon participation in each wave and surviving all waves of a single event; title and prestige weapon rewards.  Let's say a name prefix of "Survivalist <insert player account name here>" and one prestige weapon.

Third Tier:  Upon participation in each wave and surviving all waves of two events; title, gold, and prestige weapon rewards rewards.  Let's say a name suffix of "<insert player account name here> the Enduring", 100k gold, two prestige weapons.

Fourth Tier:  Upon participation in each wave and surviving all waves of five events; title, gold, and prestige weapon rewards. Let's say a name prefix of "Defender <insert player account name here>", 100k gold, two prestige weapons.

Fifth Tier:  Upon participation in each wave and surviving all waves of 10 events; title, gold, defender medals, Ascension level, and exclusive flair rewards. Let's say a name prefix of "Defense Master <insert player account name here>", 250k gold, 1000 defender medals, 5 Ascension levels, and one exclusive flair reward.

Final Tier:  For participation in each wave and surviving all waves of each consecutive event beyond 10 events; title, gold, defender medals, Ascension level, and exclusive flair rewards. Let's say a name prefix of "Defender Elite <insert player account name here>", 250k gold, 5 Ascension levels, and one flair reward to be chosen by the player.

Nearing the End of this...

While I used Mastery as a general template, I focused the upper two tiers for seasoned defenders who have little beyond Ascension to work on at this point.  Juicebags comes to mind, beyond being a valuable resource to the game and its community, players at that status level appreciate some form of progression beyond the standard progression grind, and this might be something for them and something for players like me to work toward.

Again, just an idea and I appreciate any feedback whether positive or negative.  My hope is that this idea and its cumulative feedback and future brainstorming is something added to a game that is already awesome to begin with, giving it something of an Ascension level of its own, and being something to carry into DDA.  Thanks for reading my wall of text, have an awesomely defender day!

Edited by SplodotheNinja
  • Like 2