A couple of suggestions:

1. In DD2 there are only 4 hero-slots, and often I need those slots to be filled by builders. It is timesaving to have these 4 on quickslots, but I often find myself wishing for a 5th or even 6th slot. This is especially true when you can't rearrange the "all heroes" position (see next point). I suggest that you make a reasonable balance in the quick slots so that you can have room for your most common builders on a hotbutton, and with room for 1 dps during the rounds.

2. I miss the feature of being able to rearrange the order of all your heroes. This hasn't been implemented in DD2, and I hope you can make sure to implement it in DDA.

• Like 3

I vote for infinite hero slots. Build whatever you want, no artificial limitations. Don't forget that this will be more like 1 than 2. In 1 you could create as many heros as you could fit on your computer.

• Like 2

Oh yes, this thread, PLEASE! Especially being able to reorg hero order...so badly needed on consoles. 

Posted (edited)

In relation to limited Hero Slots, I can't imagine the devs would have any reason of bringing that design back in DDA. From how I see it, the only reason DD2 required that the player slowly earn premium currency to unlock new hero slots was because they knew that some Players would want to skip the grind and purchase the slots with real money. I always thought this was bullsh*t (pardon my French...), because DD2 was effectively charging for QoL improvements (same thing with buying extra bags...), but that's the curse that comes along with all Free-To-Play games.

TLDR: Ramble over, I think it's safe to assume that DDA will use DD1's unlimited Hero Slot design since it runs by a paid model instead of F2P.

Edited by g_cracka88

I think you guys misunderstand me. Im of course not talking about some limitation to how many heroes you can create, but how many are available for you to quick swap to during waves (F1-F4). I would like to be able to quick swap to more heroes than just 4 during building and waves. 

• Like 1

The hero deck system was designed to promote group play by reducing the ability of any one player to do everything. That limitation was eventually eliminated and the hero deck became simply a quick-access system rather than a restriction. So I don't see them going back to that, especially when DD1 didn't have anything like that.

• Like 2

whether a hero deck or not i dont see any need for more than 4 heroes during combat, plus with consoles i am not sure how they would implement it there. during building as long as we can access all our builders, having a hero deck is kinda moot. I guess for speed it will depend how we can organise heroes on DD1 we could move heroes around to make it easier hope so for DDA.

Posted (edited)

The number of heroes you could create was limited in dd1 in my memory. Like 32ish.

I'd like it unlimited in dda. And an easy way to order them so the hero deck isn't needed.

Edited by Ryzours

I felt the limit on active heroes in DDII was okay, being able to quickly switch to another hero during combat without having to visit a forge was an improvement but wasn't game breaking because the selection was limited, it made sense to me.

I feel making this unlimited would be a bit busted TBH.

This system in DD2 struck a solid balance IMO

while DD2 was/is riddled with problems, this really wasn't one.

• Like 1

I am fine with Unlimited hero slots or a large limited number but as long as we don't have the Hero Deck from DD2 - I disliked the ability to be any hero at any time.

I don't know how many heroes they intend to add to DD:A however hopefully they keep the number of slots in balanced with the amount of heroes.

• Sad 1

On 5/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, krsans78 said:

I think you guys misunderstand me. Im of course not talking about some limitation to how many heroes you can create, but how many are available for you to quick swap to during waves (F1-F4). I would like to be able to quick swap to more heroes than just 4 during building and waves. 

During waves? I would hope you can't switch at ALL mid wave. During the build phase you should be able to switch as much as you want.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Give me one good reason to have unlimited characters? I would rather have a limit of 10 so I need to make a choice and choose between this or that. Making the game so you could have all the characters up in every way, would just make it bad and kill the multiplayer gameplay..

One good reqson - current way that DD games are made, you get the strongest towers and heroes by dedicating one hero to only that 1. So you may have however many defs are in the game as 1 hero each, plus DPS builds, plus any copies of defs you have setup a different way. Now that is not a vote for unlimited per se, but a vote for enough to cover the above.

Now this is all because of how the game is setup. Better tower build systems can alleviate this issue as DD2 attempted to, but they have yet to strike gold on it. Thus we end up with huge hero counts, and we get mad because we can't reorg the hero order, which gets unmanageable after a while.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 7:19 PM, Jaws_420 said:

One good reqson - current way that DD games are made, you get the strongest towers and heroes by dedicating one hero to only that 1. So you may have however many defs are in the game as 1 hero each, plus DPS builds, plus any copies of defs you have setup a different way. Now that is not a vote for unlimited per se, but a vote for enough to cover the above.

Now this is all because of how the game is setup. Better tower build systems can alleviate this issue as DD2 attempted to, but they have yet to strike gold on it. Thus we end up with huge hero counts, and we get mad because we can't reorg the hero order, which gets unmanageable after a while.

While this is true for DD2 it was not like this for DD1 and by what I understand of the stat system it will be like DD1. In DD1 all towers shared the same stats only time you may wish to have more than one type of a hero to build would be if you wanted to make one specifically for walls and only build tower HP. In essence you should be fine with just 2 versions of each hero including DPS. In fact until Nightmare or shard/dlc maps in DD1 you could happily solo the game with just ONE hero (usually Squire, but I preferred Apprentice), even many of the survivals. If they do indeed hold to designing it more like DD1 it wont be as important to have 5 or 6 version of every hero you might ever want to use.

Edited by dizzydiana
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, dizzydiana said:

While this is true for DD2 it was not like this for DD1 and by what I understand of the stat system it will be like DD1. In DD1 all towers shared the same stats only time you may wish to have more than one type of a hero to build would be if you wanted to make one specifically for walls and only build tower HP. In essence you should be fine with just 2 versions of each hero including DPS. In fact until Nightmare or shard/dlc maps in DD1 you could happily solo the game with just ONE hero (usually Squire, but I preferred Apprentice), even many of the survivals. If they do indeed hold to designing it more like DD1 it wont be as important to have 5 or 6 version of every hero you might ever want to use.

In DD1 I would have one squire for walls, one squire for ballistas, one squire for resists / tanking, one squire for crowd control.

That's ONE hero. I had quite a bit more versions of every hero in dd1 than in dd2.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Before nightmare and shard maps, you could solo the game with only one hero, yes. But that was the basic game, the first 20 or so hours. You can also solo the first part of the game with only one hero in dd2, and you most probably will too in dda.

But after a while you need several heroes, and you need to chose which one to develop first. Unlimited slots allows for more choices. With 10 slots, you decide what your 10 heroes will be. With unlimited slots, you decide which your first 10 heroes will be, then the 11th, etc.

Maybe in the end you end up with all the heroes in all the builds, but you have made many choices to get there. You won't start with all fully geared heroes.

You gear them one at a time. The more slots, the better.

When all my heroes are fully geared, i will likely quit the game. So I'd rather have an unlimited number of heroes.....

I'm neutral about swapping during waves. Maybe an hardcore mode with no swapping (among other things) would let people decide for themselves.

How soon is october?

Edited by Ryzours
  • Like 1