Dungeon Defenders - Crashing and BSOD

Hello, recently when playing DD1, the game has randomly crashed and has given me a few blue screens of death for no particular reason. I have tried re-installing the entire game (which worked for around 2 days) but I eventually had another blue screen of death from it. I have had the game for nearly 2 years and it is only within the past week or so where I have been having these issues. 

There are also other players that have been experiencing crashes from the game randomly as well. 

Are there any fixes around this? 

Thanks.

My Steam name is also Bass Boost Everything if needed

Edited by Builder

If you're getting a BSoD, that means you either have a hardware problem or a driver problem.  DD isn't causing that.  Running it might push your hardware so you hit the problem, but it's not the cause of the problem, so you can't fix it by changing something in DD.

I see. There's nothing wrong with my hardware or drivers from what I know of; it's all updated and has no issues with other games or anything else in general, so I am just unlucky I guess or there is some well hidden issue I have not found. Thanks for the info though. 

Also could it be some sort of faulty file in DD that can cause this? Or would that not be possible?

Edited by Builder

→ @Builder - I didn't necessarily get BSoD's, but DD used to freeze up on me all the time when I'd have AFK XBOX Controler emulator characters in. The two results when this would happen was either I'd have to wait 40-60sec before my comp would regain input (keyboard / mouse), or the game would crash to desktop and DD would give me a ".mdmp" file with a very generic crash error code that didn't really give me a whole lot of information to go off of.

→ I don't know if this will resolve the problem that you're having, but I resolved the problem that I described above by installing MSI Afterburner and manually downclocking my GPU clock speeds. I have absolutely no idea why this resolved my problem, but my theory is that something might have been hardcoded incorrectly in terms of how my GPU was factory overclocked. My BIOS settings didn't have any of the OCing options turned on, but after installing MSI Afterburner, the indication that I got from the default settings was that something internal was still trying to overclock my card above the rated clock speed (unless that's just how MSI Afterburner comes installed... it might not have been indicative of anything, I suppose... lol).

→ Regardless, I just wanted to share that I also hadn't had any problem playing anything in my Steam library until DD1, and DD1 was the only thing that would regularly crash on me. Figured I'd share what resolved my problem just in case it makes a difference for you! (Side Note: I never had any problems playing DD1 back in Win7, so I don't know if there was some kind of setting delta with Win10 that effed something up with my GPU, maybe? I don't really know...)

Edited by g_cracka88

On 4/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, Builder said:

I see. There's nothing wrong with my hardware or drivers from what I know of; it's all updated and has no issues with other games or anything else in general, so I am just unlucky I guess or there is some well hidden issue I have not found. Thanks for the info though. 

Also could it be some sort of faulty file in DD that can cause this? Or would that not be possible?

It should not be possible with those factors. If you want to add me on steam, garzhod, I can potentially help you find the issue not related to DD.