super_slayan

idea: armor pieces with unique passives/abilities

Posted (edited)

Can we have armor pieces with special passives or abilities like the exotics in Destiny?

i really like how the armor in destiny can have special abilities for example The Hunter had some boots that granted an additional jump, titan had a helmet that blinded enemies when they entered the bubble, warlock had idk what lol.

but there were so many more class specific armor pieces for each class. You could only equip 1 “exotic” armor piece at a time so this would give different options to the play style you wanted depending on what armor piece you were wearing. There were armors that enhanced abilities, granted new abilities, and granted extra grenades/ammo.

I would love to see some sort of system similar to Destiny 1 in this game.

i could see boots giving heros an additional jump so the monk would have like 3 jumps and others would have 2. 

these are some ideas for exotic armor pieces and using DD2 as an example:

monk:

-Gloves: doubles the radius of monk ground slam.

-gloves: turns the airbend attack from a straight foward attack into a circular attack outwards away from the player.

-boots: additional jump

-Boots: grants a dash to any direction while on ground or in air.

-helmet: revive a player with hero boost

-chest: more damage taken makes ranged attacks stronger or makes hero boost do a certain percent of the damage back 

Squire:

-Boots: After running straightish for 3 seconds, grants ability to shoulder charge enemies.

-Boots: further Increases the run speed after taunting enemies

-chest: grants ability to use shield to absorb damage and knock back enemies once and do a certain percent of damage

-gloves: increases swing speed by a certain percent

-gloves: increases radius of ground slam

-helmet: decreases damage taken after taunting

-helmet: after a few attacks, spawns the future squire behind the enemy to also and does a certain percent of damage while attacking and depawns after a few seconds.

Huntress:

-gloves: weapons occasionally fire a ghost arrow that does percent of damage and stuns the enemy hit.

-gloves: turn the explosives ability into one bigger bomb that does more damage than the smaller ones combined but a smaller radius.

-Chest: store an additional oil flask that costs half the mana of the original.

-Boots: changes stance while using the burning phoenix and puts more power behind the attack increasing damage and speed of the phoenix

Apprentice:

-Gloves: grants ability to knockback enemies with a staff melee attack

-Gloves: gives a  X% chance to send additional spells (forgot what that ability is called XD) to the marked enemies. 

-Gloves: Freezing torandos that slow enemies after they come back down but also have an X% chance to freeze enemies while in the air.

-Chest: Freezes enemies around you while using the magic slam ability

-Boots: player leaps foward in an arc a certain amount while using magic slam ability and damages as soon as the player hits the ground.

-Helmet:  Decreases mana cost of abilities by X %

-Helmet: Magic hat is alive and slowly drains enemy health and converts it to mana to use

Dryad: 

-Gloves: Increases the radius of powder tosses by X%

-Gloves: lucky day: gives a small X% chance to call down an extra mana star and an extra smaller rock when using those abilities.

-Gloves: Grants ability to melee attack while flying

-chest: gives ability to dash in an direction while flying

-Chest: opening wings up drops a smaller purification powder under you  doing a fraction of what the normal one does

-Boots: after walking through either powder toss, it leaves a trail behind you of the same powder toss for 1-2 seconds

-Helmet: Activating any aura ability, it also applies some weaker auras to nearby players.

these are just some ideas i came up with off the top of my head just fyi.

Also i know theres the tinkering system, but i feel like a loot based game like this deserves special loot pieces. it makes it boring just transfering the perfect set up from piece to piece and doesnt make loot seem rewarding to me. That’s kinda why i preferred DD2 in it’s earlier days.

Edited by super_slayan
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I'd be down with the idea (and appreciated the time you put into coming up with examples!), but I think my vote of "yes or no" would be conditional on whether the Devs could learn from (what I consider) the mistakes of DD2. My attempts at explaining my viewpoint below:

1. DD2 had armor passives for builders that changed how their respective defenses operated mechanically-speaking. The concept of being able to change how a defense works mechanically-speaking is awesome, but IMO, these passives should have been tied to some kind of talent tree rather than armor. IMO, the only things that should be locked behind RNG-rolled armor drops is straight stat values (and the stat types themselves).
    1. Ex:) Let's say I want to make an Apprentice with the "grants ability to knockback enemies with a staff melee attack" ability that you came up with. I think the player should be able to work toward that ability by leveling up and putting points into a talent-tree-like system (not necessarily a talent tree, specifically...). This allows a player to guarantee themselves the ability to customize a hero the way they want to play them.
    2. TLDR: Character customization / 'theory-crafting' should never be locked behind item farming that is governed by RNG. If not, you take the chance that the player might need to spend drastically more time before they are able to farm an item with the passive they want ALONG WITH a value-modifier that is "good enough" to build the hero around.
  2. It's hard enough to balance each one of the respective heroes, but if you introduce unique passives to each one of the heroes, the devs would now be faced with balancing each one of the heroes ALONG WITH each one of the heroes' unique passive modifiers. Let's say there are 6 heroes with 5 defense types each. That's already 30 defense types that you're trying to make viable for at least one purpose. If there are multiple passives for each defense type, you then have 6*5*[X] defense varieties that you're trying to make at least semi-viable at the very worst. (Good luck with that...).
    1. It would be cool if builder passives would change how a defense type was used situationally, based on the map, but instead, the builder passives in DD2 tended to just be better versions of the "non-passived" defense counterpart. The pool of viable armor passives was fairly small (i.e. only some were actually useful), meaning the passives weren't opening up build variety like they were supposed to, and just made it more frustrating when trying to farm passives with good RNG rolls to rank up.
  3. Armor passives that are unique to each one of the playable heroes means that you can't trade armor amongst your characters. In DD1, when you found a better armor piece for one of your character's armor sets, you could phase out the worse armor piece, and then trade it to one of your other heroes who might use an armor set of the same type (like a "hand-me-down"). I thought this was an awesome design (whether intentional or unintentional) because it meant that often, a good armor drop meant an upgrade for 2 heroes instead of just one.

(Might continue adding to this if I can think of anything else...)

Edited by g_cracka88
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, g_cracka88 said:

Armor passives that are unique to each one of the playable heroes means that you can't trade armor amongst your characters. In DD1, when you found a better armor piece for one of your character's armor sets, you could phase out the worse armor piece, and then trade it to one of your other heroes who might use an armor set of the same type (like a "hand-me-down"). I thought this was an awesome design (whether intentional or unintentional) because it meant that often, a good armor drop meant an upgrade for 2 heroes instead of just one.

doesn’t mean you can’t trade that armor piece to another character. it just means that the character won’t benefit from that passive, but the game will still think of it as an upgrade because of the higher stats or power level of the item, so better gear would still drop. 

Also, these armor pieces would be legendaries and you would need to complete specific maps/bosses to get these pieces, so they wouldn’t be like your average drops.

Since the huntress seems to be missing a helm:

Huntress:
- helmet: After remaining stationary for X seconds, gain invisibility until next attack and increased critical hit percent for X seconds after attacking.
- helmet: Double damage for X seconds after using Piercing Shot

• Like 1

I'd also love to see special passives that only work when you have a full armor set. A reason to match pieces!