Sign in to follow this  
xarta

Maps Design: What are you favourite maps / Map design elements

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Currently running through DD1 again and I'm really surprised how some maps really stand out to me and I love playing while others I tend to skip.

Since the Devs may be designing new maps in the near future, good to show them what we like. 

My top 5 list of maps would be:

5) Castle Armory

For me, this was the first jump in difficulty and the gear showed it with the godly items appearing. I love the split of front to back areas with the well placed overlapping choke points allowing the player to come up with the creativity with builds. The map offered plenty of chokes in a condensed manageable area. I also like the spike traps allowing my Tower mage to AOE blast the big boys to their deaths...

4) Tavern Defence

Tarven defence felt massive the first time I played and was quite daunting to look at how many chokes you have to cover. After playing the map a couple of times, I found that the chokes slowly decreasing and becoming closer together with only 2 areas of defences with a 5-second window-hop between.  Great map, felt rewarding figuring out how to overcome.

3) Mistymire Forest

After completing the game and achieving some amazing gear, Mistorymire forest is released along with Nightmare.  With farming 25 wave survival maps mostly AFK, we were feeling pretty confident and hoped on Mistymire forest and got completely destroyed. After a couple of failed attempted we left with the aim to level up, gear up and get a summoner and EV on the roster. After hours of leaching and farming, we came back and managed to beat it on the 3rd time. The chokes were close together and could be managed between up,  the map made up feel smart completely it.

2) Glitterhelm Caverns

I finally made it to glitterhelm caverns and Jesus was it hard.  After failing time and time again with my squire I finally cracked it with my friends. 4 of us, all having alocated duties, running around like idiots, trying to keep our defences alive and holding strong; with the insane gear upgrades we were getting and rewarding design. It was a great end to the original game to me.

1) The Ramparts

Great map design, one of my favourite ascetics with the castle theme. I love building on this map as there are so many ways to tackle it.  The long bridge can be built on to defend the onslaught of ogres or if you have high enough tower range; the towers can be placed on the Ramparts above showering death onto the below while dealing with the wyverns. The paths of the enemies offer some many choke points all viable depending on your class and build.  

As you guys can probably tell, I liked the original maps. There were simple, I could get on them and start cracking on with things. It was obvious when I was being stupid and It felt good when I found out why. 

Key Points for me

Close together chokes / Small Condensed maps

I don't like running around everywhere, taking 30seconds to run from one defence to another. Big maps don't need to do this, tarven defence is a good example. For me any more than glitterhelm caverns becomes both tedious and frustrating.  It also maps solo play a lot harder.

Multiple Build Options

Give us loads of obvious chokes, let us choose based on our classes, role and what we like defending.  Allow us to be creative, fool us in thinking we are smart.

Clear Maps

I didn't mention any of the big maps such as Desert town and  Sky O'love because there just wasn't clear to me. I don't like going on a map and just being overwhelmed but all their paths, crystals and chokes to defend. Make it clear. First time going on those maps, the crystal would normally be destroyed in the first wave due to me missing some obscure path. Glitterhelm Carverns and Misty were big and had multiple routes. But there were clear where monster where going. I could just be too stupid for these maps.

I am interested to know what other people think on this matter, hard to tell what maps are popular because people like them or just because it drops good gear.

Cheers

Edited by xarta
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

While there are times and reasons why i love a big map, they are my least favorite. They take extreme amounts of time to build, and some are so spread out, that if a moment of DPS support is needed, it is unlikely you will get there in time. At first they are fun, but higher difficulties make playing them hard to win, and grinding them for drops is a huge time suck as compared to a map you can likely do in less than half the time. 

Edited by Jaws_420
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jaws_420 said:

While there are times and reasons why i love a big map, they are my least favorite. They take extreme amounts of time to build, and some are so spread out, that if a moment of DPS support is needed, it is unlikely you will get there in time. At first they are fun, but higher difficulties make playing them hard to win, and grinding them for drops is a huge time suck as compared to a map you can likely do in less than half the time. 

Yup, I accualty like the grind. But grinding those maps were just a pain and didn't bother. As you said just takes too long to build. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not like they are not fun. I mean i do love playing Glitterhelm. It's just....whenever one of those maps pops up, i just groan ughhhhhhhhh....knowing how much running around i will be doing. 

Provided these maps are not ones i have to play 30 times a row though, I'm still glad they exist. 

I love havIng very unique shaped maps. I forget the name but the dragon boss in dd1 map comes to mind. You had long stretched atairs great for cannonball towers because they would roll forever and knock enemies to lower levels. You had shorter smaller choke points. You had a very unique 1 size does not fit all style map. Made proper. Choice of tower more important.  That is the best part of tower defenses when a single tower isnt so strong it fits all situations (evs wm in dd2 for a while) dont make 1 tower so strong it works on every map in every location.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, vosh said:

I love havIng very unique shaped maps. I forget the name but the dragon boss in dd1 map comes to mind. You had long stretched atairs great for cannonball towers because they would roll forever and knock enemies to lower levels. You had shorter smaller choke points. You had a very unique 1 size does not fit all style map. Made proper. Choice of tower more important.  That is the best part of tower defenses when a single tower isnt so strong it fits all situations (evs wm in dd2 for a while) dont make 1 tower so strong it works on every map in every location.

I was tempted to put the Summit and 5. But yeah great map, allowed you to do some unique creative builds. Loved the bowling balls crashing down those ally ways. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of medium and a few small maps. I do like when choke points aren't too obvious or are at least flexible. That's why I love Ramparts. There are dozens of ways to handle AI paths.

Large maps could definitely be cool but are completely ruined by the build timer and the fact that they're not balanced for single player.

I would like to see slightly more dynamic AI though. Perhaps some more open areas where the AI could spread out a bit or maybe allow the AI to jump some fences or ledges to deviate from the normal path. Not too much but enough to the point where if your not paying attention and have your defenses too focused on the primary path BAMN! Suddenly you've got a goblin or two hacking away at the back of your towers because they flanked instead of charging.