Sign in to follow this  
xarta

Number Scaling / Currency / Damage / Stats

Hi All,

Not a big deal, game breaking idea or post. Just interesting to see what other people opinions are on this.

How big do you guys like your numbers? I loved the mmo's between 2005 - 2010. So I thinking a lot of my bias is going to come from there.

Talking about damage, I like big massive hits (E,g Striker tower) to be any low tens of thousands of 10,000-25,000. I grew to hate massive numbers,  the hundreds of thousands/millions or even billions. Just looks and feels silly to me.

Currency I'm about the same, any more than a million and it just seems silly. I like 100k Gold/Mana/Jelly beans being a lot. When you get into the millions/billions its start to feel a bit worthless. 

The numbers in pre-DLC DD1 were about right for me, the mana was a bit too high but nothing silly. 

Stats in DD, care less about this one but anything about 1000 doesn't fit for me for some reason.

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm with you, numbers for the most part in games are superfluous. It doesn't matter to me if I'm doing 10 dps to an enemy with 150 hp or doing 10k dps to an enemy with 150k hp or 10m dps to an enemy with 150m hp. They all die at the same rate and it was just perception over the numbers that made any difference. There is a limit though, since you dont want to drop into decimals nor do you want to get to a time where integer limits get enacted stopping you from going any higher. DD2 had the problem of integer limits being hit, and I would like this to not be a thing in DDA. If at all possible that this does happen, I see no problems with scaling numbers downwards to allow for gain to continue. ie. cut enemy hp in half and cut dps in half (numbers only really) keeping the same ratio which allows for continued scaling.

• Like 1

One of the better parts of early dungeon defenders is the pace is good. Eventually even with some awesome gear your towers will out dps you and out tank you because thats how the game works. In dd2 i feel useless except for burning down bosses and only about 4 of them require my hero.  I would rather keep numbers reasonable and not have more then 10k health enemies and maybe a few million health bosses.  I dont care if each defense power adds 1 damage to towers dont scale into 100k+ dps.

• Like 1

Secondly fix mob damage/ crystal health so its not blockades gdt 3 shotted everything else 1 and the crystal in 1. I want to have to repair and do mob control. Just did a survival on easy in the demo ans hardest/best part was juggling 6 blockades health and mob density.

20 hours ago, Exglint said:

I'm with you, numbers for the most part in games are superfluous. It doesn't matter to me if I'm doing 10 dps to an enemy with 150 hp or doing 10k dps to an enemy with 150k hp or 10m dps to an enemy with 150m hp. They all die at the same rate and it was just perception over the numbers that made any difference. There is a limit though, since you dont want to drop into decimals nor do you want to get to a time where integer limits get enacted stopping you from going any higher. DD2 had the problem of integer limits being hit, and I would like this to not be a thing in DDA. If at all possible that this does happen, I see no problems with scaling numbers downwards to allow for gain to continue. ie. cut enemy hp in half and cut dps in half (numbers only really) keeping the same ratio which allows for continued scaling.

Yeah exactly, I do feel the higher the numbers are the less value they have to me (Generally speaking). I honestly can't tell what is a "big hit" in dungeon defenders, it all just turns into a long number I don't care about.

I like them to be visual to me, if I'm walking around a see a massive 12k hit, I notice it. I don't notice a 12,343,432,29 hit.

I remember back in the day in Runescape. Hitting a 30 was a massive deal to me, it felt good. then EOC came and I was hitting 10k's and didn't even care or notice. It all preference, I imagine some people just love seeing massive numbers.

I would like that if damage gets really big, that they take a page from Disgaea and show a letter abbreviation for large amounts. Examples are K for thousands and M for millions, although those letters have different meanings in different cultures. I hate seeing long stretches of numbers being displayed, like "you just did 12345678 damage", as opposed to just 12.3M. 

1 hour ago, Jaws_420 said:

alike "you just did 12345678 damage", as opposed to just 12.3M. 

Agreed, 12.3m is wayyy better in my eyes.

I'm hoping it never gets to that extreme, but yeah if it did. Do stuff like that.

• Like 1